Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

FSX Really Flying Now! - How I Achieved It.

Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

Another good tip when it comes to Emails. Turn off the Auto-Preview pane so that emails never auto-show. And only ever open an email if you know who it is from, or are expecting email regarding something in the subject line :)As for Netstat, it will only show current open connections, it won't log them or anything... but still VERY helpful if you suspect something is going on at that particular time.

Ok, I've run netstat, and I've got two lines stating:a209-246-122-147.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com:http CLOSE_WAIT on ports 1188 and 1189Plus another 4 ports pointing to the pop3 of my website.Anything I should worry about? What program has opened the two lines to akamai tech?I'm imagining that the lines pointing to the pop3 of my website are from outlook checking my mail?Edit:at one point, for a second, I saw 205.252.249.57 from PCCWGLOBAL.NET show Established. Was this somebody logging into my system? Do I have a worm sending info to somebody?Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

heh :)A good way of finding some info is my best friend, Google :)I did a quick Google on akamaitechnologies.com and read up on it. At first, it looked like it was related to spyware, but reading more than just a few pages on it showed that the domain is actually related to legit advertising.Did you perchance have MSN running? I believe that MSN will sometimes download ad content from servers in that domain.:)

Guest Redvan

I started reading this thread, but ran out of time, so I'm just posting my question with out knowing if it's been answered...Chas,What is the process, step by step, on how to do what you did? No matter how unnecessary some may say a step is. Please mention by the step if it's known to be unnecessary. I'd like to try what you did and see what kind of difference it makes on my system (see my specs in my sig). Also if you could post links to the tools that you use, such as better defragmenters, and other things you used.I just got FSX for Christmas. Before I had Demo2 running on this system. I uninstalled Demo2, did NOT do any reg cleanup, and installed FSX Deluxe. So I currently have FSX Deluxe installed and defragged with windows defragger.I will be upgrading from my current 1gig (2x512) PC2700 166MHz, to 2gig (2x1gig) PC 3200 DDR400.

Guest Chas

I really like this post by BarryWard12345 in this forum. This should give you hope................I hope you do not mind me quoting you Barry :-)QUOTE:"I have just installed FSx on my lowly 3 year old AND XP2400, 1 GiG of slow 266 RAM, 256 ATI Radeon X800 (only running at AGPx4 - due to the motherboard)I also installed the latest version of MS .NET 3 Framework.I started out with default settings as suggested by the programme install - and flying the Baron around St Martin slowly putting various settings up -- I can't get the SIM to go under a FPS rate of 20!!!!!Mind you, I quickly turned all the autogen off - not because it appeared to have any impact on the FPS , but because the autogen trees look terrible. They "glisten" , "scintilate","vibrate" - how can I describe it - does everybody elses autogen trees do this?Anyway, the Sim is highly flyable - not the dog at all that everybody has been saying."BazBazza in Brisbane, AustraliaChas

Guest Redvan

so you're saying all i need to do is update to .NET 3? I think I already did... What of this movie that plays at the end of the install? I hadn't seen it... also, is there a tool for FSX reg cleanup?

Guest 2002cbr600f4i

Akamai is a content caching system used on the web. Basically your ISP can have a local Akamai caching server. When you hit big sites like (for instance something like CNN) the first person to hit content on that site will pull the data and it will get put on the ISP's akamai cache server and then get everyone else on that ISP that requests that data will get it from the local Akamai server rather than having to get it from the originating server.It helps a LOT with network traffic for big sites, and speeds up content delivery.--Mike

Guest NWjetflyer

Hey Chas,I have tried your config settings with NO effect. My framerates did not improve one single bit. I did not give up though, while searching add and remove programs I noticed that after you uninstall FSX the game still leaves "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable" behind. I have noticed that this is installed when FSX is installed. Also if you have added add-ons to FSX it will leave the FSX folder in your Program files.I use XP Pro with SP2 and the firewall can be a bear to disable. Well time for round 2. NWJetflyerSpecs: Intel P4 3.2 Ghz X800 pro 256 MB Western Digital 120 GB 1 gig system ram

Guest NWjetflyer

A quick update,How I installed:1.Completely removed FSX from system INCLUDING Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributed (installed with FSX)- this included cleaning out the PREFETCH and TEMP folders in Windows.2.Completely removed .NET framework 3.0 3.Installed .NET framework 1.14.Installed .NET framework service pack for 1.15.Installed .NET framework 2.06.Installed and ran Software Licensing Reset Tool from Microsoft (KB928080)7.Defragmented my HD8.In the Settings window (Control PanelAdministrator ToolsSettings) Set Windows Installer to ON Set .NET Optimizer to ON Set Windows firewall (SP2 default firewall) to OFF Set all Antivirus settings to OFF(I did all of the above from the settings window it seemed to work)9.Turned off all spybot and Adaware software.10.Installed FSX. I have seen a marked increase in framerates and a significant increasein autogen functions. But still not completely stutter free.Test flight was the Cessna Caravan departing Sea-Tac airport.A few questions,Is there a XML file I need to rename in the sim to help with performance?Is there any .cfg edits I can perform to help also?Specs:Windows XP ProIntel P4 3.2Ghz1 GB system RAMRadeon X800 Pro 256 MB Driver- Catalyst 12-13-2006Western digital 120 GB HD

Guest kingairvols

HelloI have MS Windows XP Pro and attempted to go to:Control PanelAdministrator ToolsSettingsHow ever under Admin Tolls I did not see "Settings" Can you please help. I use classic view. Please advise, sorry for being a beginner.Also, I have dual 160 hard drives from WD. FSX is presently set up by its self on the second internial HD (F) drive by itsself. I did not install a second OS. Thus with FSX and the FSGen DVD's instaled, after defragmentation (windows tool) so far about 30 gigs are used of the 160 gigs in the second (F) hard drive.I appreciate any help.Thank you.Mark.System:OS:MS Windows XP Professional, Ver 2002 Service Pack 2 Hardware:Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 2.802.84 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB running a 21/19.6 Sony Flat Screen Tubed Monitorand a 17/16 NEC/Mitsubishi Tubed MonitorGeForce FX 5200 128MB running a NEC/Mitsubishi 18 Flat Panel

Guest NWjetflyer

In the classic view:Start>Settings>Control panel>Administrator Tools>Settings Icon Sometimes it is listed like this:Start>Settings>Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Administrator Tools>Settings IconIn the default XP view:Start>Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Administrator Tools>Settings iconMake sure you have administrator rights on your computer: If it is a work or other computer you will have problems.

Guest Redvan

i dont even see a "Settings" icon following that path...I see a "Services"...