Sign in to follow this  
Treetops45

Milviz Corsair?

If there was a decent A1E for DCS, I'd probably never leave the house. 🤣

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

40 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

I tend towards DCS for my Combat Aircraft needs so a A1E in there would be perfect 🙂

But that said the expansive world of MSFS does offer potential that the restrictive maps od DCS can never match 🙂

Why people always tend  to compare apples and oranges? 

DCS = combat

FS/P3D=travel

You can get both and that's it! 

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte

1 hour ago, Chock said:

However, you should be more excited about the fact that Milviz is making an A1E Skyraider for MSFS; now that really is an awesome single-engined prop plane, and considering the fact that the good old 'Spad' could lift everything including the kitchen sink, it might actually be good in Air Hauler as well!

Day 1 purchase for me!

1 hour ago, Pat Mussotte said:

Why people always tend  to compare apples and oranges? 

DCS = combat

FS/P3D=travel

You can get both and that's it! 

Absolutely, but there can't help but be a direct point of comparison when the same aircraft appear in different sims.

The empahsis may be different but they are ultimately both representing the same real world object.

OK my first "flights" Shoreham Glass runway 24, perfect place to do take off and crashers...................😜

mini review.

This aircraft is breathtakeing.....😍

Starting it up is so, so pleasing.

Setting up for take off, make sure your CG is right, rudder  Aileron and trim all set right.

TrackIR is fantastic for half looking out the window for taxing and line up.

Line up and then lock your tail wheel.

Takeoff I found easy, really no proplems just went to MAN 30 and slowly increast power, fantastic loved it.

Gear up, flaps up, trim, rudder trim set to 0 all good.

Now lets talk about landing.......

First landing and the first in countless year...well apart from DCS I cannot remember crashing.....

Landed just before stall speed, though for 2-3 seconds "whats hard about this" skided right fliped and crashed....LOL

Second time I landed but need all of airport and ending up around 300 yard right of my runway.

3rd times was going well then a wing went and I hit a shed head on....😜

This aircraft is like the dogs....well like my Zeus big boy bits till they come off in 6-8 months.

The down sides of this aircraft?

None

Well thats not true, LANDING.....Carier landing with the DCS F-18 CATIII or AOA F-16 landing are so easy. This is.....😂

9.5/10 for me. An aircraft am going to have to work hard at to master = yes please.

BTW if your new to MSFS and new to sim flying...this is NOT for you....lol

EDIT: Best way I can think of to not die is slow to stall speed pull back as hard as you can at 10ft from the sea and jump out and hope for the best and swim to the shore. OR try large airports with huge runways.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

9 minutes ago, Treetops45 said:

Coastal South Vietnam.

T45

ad-77.jpg

Good luck when you have to land.....🤣

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

A  proper way to taxi LOL

unknown.png?width=2250&height=1266

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Need to get the surprise oil splat down,   I am watching the cylinder head temp, then all the sudden from well in the green, and all ok, to splat, and its in the red zone.   Is this normal, or is my plane having issues with other add ons?

Getting good at dead stick landings...

Edited by karlz

1 hour ago, karlz said:

Need to get the surprise oil splat down,   I am watching the cylinder head temp, then all the sudden from well in the green, and all ok, to splat, and its in the red zone.   Is this normal, or is my plane having issues with other add ons?

Getting good at dead stick landings...

Have you got all of the cooling controls open? Using the Supercharger? Being careful to give it some revs once in a while when throttled back? Turned off the primer switch?

The gauge in the cockpit is the Cylinder Head Temperature gauge, so it won't tell you everything because the sensors for it only read that part of the engine. Keep in mind that the Pratt and Whitney R2800 Twin Wasp engine which is simulated in this thing, is a twin-row radial, so it needs a fair bit of airflow to keep it cool (especially the back row which is shielded by the front row of cylinders and will need the cowling flaps open at low speeds) and you need airflow too for the intakes as well. So don't sit on the ground in high temps for ages with the engine running and if in doubt, get the vents open.

Beyond this, it's not always high temps which can cause an engine to let go, sometimes it can be the opposite. What can occur is that you might run the engine at high speed for a while and then throttle back and idle during a long descent. This can potentially cause two problems:

Plug Fouling and Shock Cooling. Plug fouling is when the engine is turning and delivering oil to the moving parts including the cylinders, but when idling, the cylinders are not firing with enough power to ensure any excess oil is burned off or ejected and it ends up accumulating on the spark plugs.

Shock cooling is when the engine cools too quickly when throttled back (typically on a descent). The heated metal of the cylinders then contracts too fast and at an uneven rate, this can cause the cylinder heads to warp, which will then blow a gasket seal. In extreme cases, shock cooling can cause the engine casing to crack, or lose cooling fins, or cause a piston ring to seize and then it will throw a rod and possibly a cylinder head, through having lost the parts necessary to aid cooling.

In all these cases, the trick is to every once in a while give the thing a burst of power instead of letting it suddenly idle after having been run at high speeds. This will ensure the spark plugs don't get fouled with excess oil and it prevents the engine from cooling down too quickly. This is also why you run the thing down slowly after taxiing, so as to let the engine cool down slowly and evenly. So when you park up, let the engine run at a fast tickover for a little while before shutting it down.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

OK, landing sorted. 🙂 just done 3 out of 3 all good no wing sraping or anything. 

Love this Aircraft.

Wow what a great aircraft.  I was able to get it started first time by going through the checklists.  As someone who often has issues getting real world gas powered things to start this made me very happy 🙂

However, all of my flights so far have ended in death haha.

Flight 1: Much to my surprise, got it airborne first attempt, though I was on the grass rather than the runway by the time I lifted off.  Deatils, details. 🙂  Headed west from Dundee over the Scottish Highlands and noticed my cylinder head temp was below the green band so started messing around with the cowl flaps.  Slammed into a hillside while trying to manipulate the cowl flaps lever with my mouse.  I have now mapped the cowl flaps controls to a switch on my hotas.  KIA.

Flight 2: Got overconfident after my first successful take off, too aggressive on the throttle, basically did a cartwheel off the runway and into a hangar.  KIA.

Flight 3: Back to using caution on take-off, got airborne and headed west to attempt my flight over the Highlands again.  Successfully closed the cowl flaps using my newfound switch settings.  I noticed that the oil temps were getting low, below the green band.  I close the oil flaps to 50%.  No change so I closed them completely.  At this point the engine died and I stalled out, crashing into a hill.  KIA.

I've never had so much fun virtually dying several time in 90 minutes.

Can anyone provide guidance on oil flap usage?  If I see the oil temps dropping should I be closing them all the way?  The manual speaks to adjusting them but is light on specifics in that area.  I'm not sure if my engine died because I closed them all the way or if it was about to die anyway from the low oil temps and it's just a coincidence that it did so right after I closed them?  It was about 12C at Dundee on departure so not overly warm, but not overly cold either.  I was only about 2000ft ASL.

My one minor issue is that it's difficult to see where the proper mixture lever positions are for the auto modes.  I've set a camera to take care of that for now, but it would be nice if it was somehow more visible etc from the default flying position.

All in all though this is a top notch addon, I'm off to try a flight in flatter and warmer Florida...see if I can kill myself on landing this time instead haha.

Edited by regis9
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Just realized I forgot to switch the fuel back to the main tank after takeoff, so perhaps it was a fuel issue that caused my third death and not oil flaps related?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I enjoyed every minute, so far...

IMO easier in Take-off and Landing than the Spit, and being a "slowflyer", hating high reving engines, i like the behaviour and sound of this thing very much.

She is a little bit nervous on elevator-trim, and the VSI shows values between -1500 and +1500 without according changes of the visual horizont.

Only negative aspect so far:  This thing is far to big !!  First saw the midget of the ground crew, in front of this plane and began to compare:

The A320, rolling nearby, looks a little bit to small too...

Finaly parked in front of a TBM, which has the same wingspan and so the Corsair seems to have 150% of the "real" size. Would estimate it to 18 meters.

Reminds me a little bit on the early days of farming-simulator, where everything has it´s own scale.