Sign in to follow this  
niksan29

Circle to land again...

most likely, we all know how to perform this procedure with a direct approach eg LGRP, it would be something like this:

Spoiler

1.png

but what if we don't have a direct approach? eg WPDL:

Spoiler

2.png

rwy 08 course 075 and rwy 26 course 255,also please note we cannot circle south...

if we need runway 26, we go straight to the VOR and and reaching rwy turn left onto the course 075 +045=120?

then (this SOP for the airbus):

Spoiler

asop.png

but we will not have a downwind leg, since we have already passed the threshold in the first 30 seconds after turning 45 to the left...

accordingly, how do we find the moment when we need to start chrono( 3sec\100ft from our alt)?

and the second question is how to do it for runway 07?

Edited by niksan29

Basically, if you are in the protection areal (notice FAA and ICAO have different definition on that). and above MDA, you can do whatever you want visually..

As your example, the left bottom corner have been cut, but I supposed it's PAN OPS? then that's ICAO standard, so as long as you are in the "racecourse" defined by two runway end, within 4.2nm if your speed is lower than 180 (like a normal 737/320 would do), and above 1110 feet,  you are able to do whatever you want to lineup to runway. and visually descend below 1110' for landing.

image.png

In some case, like RWY18 for RKPK, there are per-defined route and visual chart with visual waypoints and strobes to guide you.

image.png

• Upvote 1

On 4/5/2021 at 7:07 AM, C2615 said:

but I supposed it's PAN OPS?

absolutely right!

In some case, like RWY18 for RKPK, there are per-defined route and visual chart with visual waypoints and strobes to guide you

Of course, I know about it, where there is a prescribed visual route there. no questions. But when it is not(not direct approach) there and the approach to the runway is not direct...

As your example,

that is, this this SOP for the airbus will be useless in this case?

Spoiler

asop.png

Edited by niksan29

14 minutes ago, niksan29 said:

that is, this this SOP for the airbus will be useless in this case?

Hide contents

asop.png

I would say Yes. I have been participated in our company's SOP compile(while for 737), It's specially emphasize by our chief pilot the "standard way" of circling is only used for a "standard" 180 turn around, and it's a guideline at best.

Even for this "procedure", for example, in our SOP, the timing for base turn is described as a auxiliary means, we actually recommended to put the 4.2nm or whatever the FIX page (or FIX INFO for bus), and "the task for pilots are to keep airplane trajectory inside the defined protected zone, rather than follow a particular time or line." said in our SOP.

• Upvote 1

interesting👍 and if you have a link to a video of an example of such an approach, I would be glad if you shared this👌

Spoiler

LTCL.jpg

I didn't have a video right on my hand, but I just did such kind of approach on LICR RWY33 few days ago. Here is some screenshot but not much then..

Prepar3-D-2021-04-06-21-26-51-55.jpg

Prepar3-D-2021-04-06-21-28-35-09.jpg

I just put two 4.2nm circle over the LICR33 and LICR15, to give me some view on my protection areal. and simply work my way down visually and manually, nothing extraordinary

• Upvote 1