Sign in to follow this  
Sonne

Reverb G2 terrible headtracking

Hello.

My G2 arrived some days ago. Despite the appealing visual quality, the catastrophic  headtracking if the HMD is second to none.

It happens regularly, that the HMD suddenly stops to track lateral movements ( forward, backward, left, right ). Rotational movements are tracked sufficiently. Seems to be a software issue, as it happens with a second G2 as well. Lighting should have been ok, no bright direct light. Resetting environmental data within WMR doesn‘t fix the problem, as well as restarting Windows and WMR for Steam. 

Furthermore, it happens regularly that the cameras of the G2 seem to induce a „floating image“ when rotational/transversal Head movement stops.

Is anyone else experiencing these issue and is there a known fix for it?

By the way: I‘m on P3D v4.5, Windows 10 most current version.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Toto

That is odd.  I have had a G2 for several months and use it with P3D and MSFS2020 with no tracking issues.

Danny

All I can think is that either you are very unlucky, have disagreeable lighting for the G2, or AMD/USB issues causing sufficient problems for tiny dropouts in signal allowing tracking to be disrupted. Obviously, if you are Intel based then you can rule out the latter.

I’ve had mine a couple of weeks now, and have been amazed how solid the head-tracking is. I was coming from a Quest 2, and expecting the tracking to be awful, going by some of the stories. Hope you get it sorted.

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

Sold my G2 and swaped it for a Valve Index: such a huge difference, not as sharp and clear as the G2, but with much better FOV and superb and stable Headtracking. Feels much more immersive and the 144Hz helps to get a halfway smooth experience in EGLL or other complex scenery.

Best regards,

Toto

Head and controller tracking on mine is just as good as my quest 1 in  things like Alyx etc.

have you tried resetting the guardian / boundary settings?

I have the Gen1 Reverb and there are a couple of things that have caused me head tracking issues in the past - one of which you have already mentioned.  

As you said, with this type of tracking, it is important that the tracking cameras can distinguish the physical external references and so, yes, decent lighting in the room is important.

The second issue I used to regularly get was where the cockpit interior would suddenly 'lock' onto my viewpoint and follow my head movements a bit like a static 3D photo viewer strapped to my head.  I realised that it tended to do that when I was sitting too close to my monitor screen.  Presumably, because the monitor is relatively very bright, that was confusing or overloading the tracking cameras.  I have moved my screen back half a metre from my sitting position and the problem has not re-occurred since.  While the G2 have more cameras, the tracking principle is similar and so moving your seating position further back from your monitor might help.

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

I got my G2 since 19th May, never had any issues with the tracking. But I know that ambient light is top most important. Check every light emitting sources direct or indirect (a direct light coming out of window, a reflection mirror like shiny surface, even sun light reflecting from the wall can cause tracking issues.)