Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

The Cattle Baron is open!

Betty and I went to the Cattle Baron for dinner this evening.  I really missed it during the sequester.  But it's been two weeks since our second shot so we are going to start eating out once a week again.

The seating is every other booth and table so they are maintaining social distancing.  And you can't go to the salad bar by yourself.  The waitress gives you a checklist of all the available salad items and you check which ones you want and she gets your salad plate for you.

I wanted prime rib but they were out, so I got a filet mignon and baked potato and Betty got blackened catfish and French fries.  We shared a plate of crisp asparagus with olive oil and lemon juice.

It was a real treat!

Noel
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Great news Noel. Very nice to hear. Stay safe. Karl

Captain to First Officer: " I didn't say it was your fault I am just blaming you " 

21 minutes ago, birdguy said:
Betty and I went to the Cattle Baron for dinner this evening.  I really missed it during the sequester.  But it's been two weeks since our second shot so we are going to start eating out once a week again.

The seating is every other booth and table so they are maintaining social distancing.  And you can't go to the salad bar by yourself.  The waitress gives you a checklist of all the available salad items and you check which ones you want and she gets your salad plate for you.

I wanted prime rib but they were out, so I got a filet mignon and baked potato and Betty got blackened catfish and French fries.  We shared a plate of crisp asparagus with olive oil and lemon juice.

It was a real treat!

Noel

Great to hear - I lived in Ruidoso for a few years and later Las Cruces and would eat at both often.  Miss the green chile wontons ...

Joe Lorenc

Sadly many of my favorite places are gone forever: Golden Corral, Old Country Buffet, and similar places where one could literally consume all one could eat.

I haven't seen any cafeterias in decades!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

28 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Sadly many of my favorite places are gone forever: Golden Corral, Old Country Buffet, and similar places where one could literally consume all one could eat.

Ha! Fr. Bill.  Are you no longer doing weddings?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

35 minutes ago, n4gix said:

I’m surprised you liked Golden Corral? I went there once in Dallas and was disgusted. Although in all fairness, pretty much any cafeteria style restaurant like Furrs, Luby’s or Piccadilly disgusts me.

I’m not sure what it is about those places but the food always seems terrible to me. Although, when I was a kid there was a place called Sizzler that wasn’t bad. I can’t remember exactly but it seemed like a cafeteria style place but the food seemed decent. Then again, at the age of 4-6, you don’t yet have a complex palate.

Reminds me of some of the "all you can eat" places where I grew up.  The line would start at the cash register where you pay, then go through the salad bar where everyone heaped their plates full!  (that was the owner's plan)  Stuff you full of cheap salads, then you were not hungry enough to go after much prime rib!  I always started at the prime rib!  🍖

Now, my only question is......why did all of the "weight-challenged folks, with their heaping plates full of food, always order a diet coke? 

• Like 2

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 hour ago, charliearon said:

Now, my only question is......why did all of the "weight-challenged folks, with their heaping plates full of food, always order a diet coke? 

Tastes better than the sugary version,  regardless of calories. 😉

• Like 1

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

3 hours ago, fppilot said:

Sadly many of my favorite places are gone forever: Golden Corral,

Oh contrair!   We have a Golden Corral here in Roswell and they have a sign in front that they are opening soon.

During the Christmas birdcount the refuge treated us all to lunch at the Golden Corral.  I never cared much for it.  Reminded me too much of a military mess hall.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

46 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Oh contrair!   We have a Golden Corral here in Roswell and they have a sign in front that they are opening soon.

During the Christmas birdcount the refuge treated us all to lunch at the Golden Corral.  I never cared much for it.  Reminded me too much of a military mess hall.

Noel

Misleading! You quoted someone else as you quoted what I had quoted, not my comment.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, fppilot said:

Misleading! You quoted someone else as you quoted what I had quoted, not my comment.

Please accept my humblest apologies Frank, but I had nothing to say about Fr Bob doing weddings, only that there is at least one Golden Corral still alive.  

Noel

I too have had my second shot over 4 weeks ago here n Chicagoland and just went to Mortons The Steak House in Naperville. The old one downtown Chicago is closed. Mortons also are observing social distancing with the tables and require masks as you enter or move about inside, but not at the table. It was good to get out again.

19 hours ago, fppilot said:

Ha! Fr. Bill.  Are you no longer doing weddings?

Not so many since the pandemic began, and those few were limited to the bride, groom, two witnesses, and lots of social distancing!

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

19 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I’m surprised you liked Golden Corral? I went there once in Dallas and was disgusted. Although in all fairness, pretty much any cafeteria style restaurant like Furrs, Luby’s or Piccadilly disgusts me.

There were two Golden Corrals in NW Indiana. The one in Merrillville has just re-opened last week (I checked on their website). The one in Shererville is "Permanently Closed" as is the Old Country Buffet in Highland.

I always planned my visit to eat for just after they opened at 11 am before the slobs (er, other customers) had managed to make a mess, and the Prime Rib had just been brought out and was still juicy and tender. I ignored the salad bar because I didn't want to fill up on rabbit food, being a meat and potatoes kind of guy. :laugh: 

Fr. Bill    

7 hours ago, Stratocruiser1 said:

I too have had my second shot over 4 weeks ago here n Chicagoland and just went to Mortons

Hmm, I may just have to make a trip over to Naperville and visit Mortons myself. They seem rather expensive though... 

Fr. Bill