Sign in to follow this  
Farhad

Maddog X MD-82 8gb GPU

Hi.
I want to buy Maddog X MD-82 base pack + Expansion pack for P3dV5.
One of the minimum requirements for this is 8 GB GPU.
This minimum is a "must", or the software also works with 6 GB GPU but with poor quality?
thank you in advance for your reply.

you will probably have CTD's because you will run out of VRAM.  To be honest I wouldn't use any plane in V5 with 6gb vram.  I would stick with V4

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I have a 2060 with 6 gigs, and I use both P3D v5 and the Maddog with no CTDs. I've pared down my settings and don't use EA.

• Like 1

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

38 minutes ago, JRMurray said:

I have a 2060 with 6 gigs, and I use both P3D v5 and the Maddog with no CTDs. I've pared down my settings and don't use EA.

I have the same card - 2060 with 6 Gigs... and I DO use EA. 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

I have the same card - 2060 with 6 Gigs... and I DO use EA

Nice! What settings are you using?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JRMurray said:

Nice! What settings are you using?

1080p

FXAA and AA off

16x Anisotropic 

Texture Res: 4096x4096

VSync off

MipMap VC Panels on

Terrain: all max, except Level of Detail Raduis on Medium and Mesh on 5

Scenery Complexity: Extremely Dense

Autogen and Scenery Draw Distance Medium

Rest is dense

Water Detail: Ultra

Special Effects: High

EA on with High cloud resolution (all options on for godrays, fog, etc)

Dynamic Reflections Medium

Shadow Quality Medium

• Like 1

@BostonJeremy77 ... whoa! That's great!

You don't get VRAM out-of-memory errors? What's your memory usage with these settings?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JRMurray said:

You don't get VRAM out-of-memory errors? What's your memory usage with these settings?

Nope. No memory errors with these. These are JUST right and can be used universally, no matter the aircraft. Largest VRAM use is about 4.4-4.5 out of 5.1 on KingAir 350 (Milviz)... PMDG runs at about 3.2-3.3. FSLabs at about 3.8-3.9... A2A GA stuff? 2.something. Basically I can run ALL of them at these settings and never get a DXGI error. I USED to get them until I tweaked them to this point. I think the big thing is turning off AA of any sort. The 4K textures compensate that and things look sharp. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JRMurray said:

I DO find that I can get random crashes if I go into menus a bunch... Not ones that drop down or change views, or even ones that bring up windows.... But the main menus that take you out of cockpit - flight planner, and settings, and controls. If you do THAT 2-3 times a flight, it's a guaranteed crash. But not a DXGI kind, just.... nothing. Boom. Back to desktop. Outside of that, everything is rock solid. I am running a laptop - 10th Gen i7 processor, and 16 Gb RAM (at 3200)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks, @BostonJeremy77! I'm going to try your settings.

One more thing ... do you have any air traffic set? I use AIM and have set airliners and GA to 70%.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JRMurray said:

Thanks, @BostonJeremy77! I'm going to try your settings.

One more thing ... do you have any air traffic set? I use AIM and have set airliners and GA to 70%.

I should also mention that I run all of Orbx everything - including regions. But NOT TrueEarth stuff. And no payware airports except the ones that are free through Orbx. And I run Active Sky. 

I do have traffic. 50% on both airline and GA. Medium ground aircraft density. And 15% all vehicles like boats etc. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks again, @BostonJeremy77. Our settings are similar: the only difference is that I have payware airports. Hmm. Going to spend my Saturday morning doing some testing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

I should also mention that I run all of Orbx everything - including regions. But NOT TrueEarth stuff. And no payware airports except the ones that are free through Orbx. And I run Active Sky. 

I do have traffic. 50% on both airline and GA. Medium ground aircraft density. And 15% all vehicles like boats

Ah ha. No payware  airports. I figured that was too good to be true. Some such as Latin VFR have a high PBR usage and will eat my 8GB for lunch  if I don't watch my settings. Seriously though I would like to run settings as high as yours. Sometimes I wonder if payware airports are worth the performance hit but I 'm a hopeless collector.

I'm going to give your settings a try.

Edited by PATCO LCH
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Vic green

4 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

Ah ha. No payware  airports. I figured that was too good to be true. Some such as Latin VFR have a high PBR usage and will eat my 8GB for lunch  if I don't watch my settings. Seriously though I would like to run settings as high as yours. Sometimes I wonder if payware airports are worth the performance hit but I 'm a hopeless collector.

I'm going to give your settings a try.

I am a hopeless collector of aircraft. Not the airports - I don't spend much time in them other than LEAVING them or ARRIVING. 😉 The rest of the time? I am in the plane! That's what matters. And if the looks outside are pretty, which Orbx supplies, that's all I need. If I don't have to screw with my settings and run them at my current ones, I don't really need to bother with airports. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1