Sign in to follow this  
jvile

Using old airlines.cfg file in FSX

Guest MaskedCarrot

I been out of the scene for awhile and getting back into it now that I got FSX. Ironically it isn't running as bad for me as I thought it would have.Well anyway, there was a replacement "airline.cfg" file that we used for FS2002 and FS2004 that would add all the proper airline names to the ATC voices. Is there something similar for FSX?I tried using the older one but the ATC still uses the original names and not the real airlines.

You can put anything into the airlines.cfg you want, and it won't "add voices" to the ATC. Only Edit Voicepack does that...You can simply copy over your existing EVP modified .gvp file to FSX ans it will work perfectly.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest MaskedCarrot

I don't think you understood what I was referring to.I am not talking about adding voices to the ATC, I am talking about unlocking the ones that are already in there. So when you hear the AI chatter over the radio you actually hear them call themselves by the actual airlines and no the phoney ones which come in FS.You mean you never did that in FS2002 or FS2004? I figured it was a well known thing back then.

Did you misspell that only in your post? It's called airlines.cfg and after I copied the old file that I used for FS2004 into my FSX directory ATC can then say e.g. 'Qantas'.Cheers,Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

FS has not used the airlines.cfg file for over 4 years. Like Bill said, you can put as many names in the airlines.cfg has you want and they still will not be used by ATC.Since the beginning of FS9 all airline names based on what MS recorded are in the xxxxxxxxBig.gvp file which is in the FSX SoundATC folder.MS clearly says that you must specified the airline name for the type airline in the aircraft.cfg file. This is what unlocks the ATC voice that will be used by ATC only if the airline name is recorded to begin with. The ATC system will use the specified airline name for the type airplane once it is in the aircraft.cfg file but that is dependant on ATC recognizing the name. ATC will treat this aircraft as an airliner when this is used in conjunction with atc_flight_number. There are many airline names missing from both FS9 and FSX voice files so we use the Edit Voicepack gvp to replace the default FS9/FSX voice file.>I don't think you understood what I was referring to.You mean you never did that in FS2002 or FS2004? I figured it was a well known thing back then.>A well known piece of information that was not accurate.I understand what you asked and based on Bill's answer he understood also. I think you have failed to understand that the airlines.cfg is not used for ATC but the aircraft.cfg is used if you edit the proper lines.See the FS9/FSX SDK's for futher documentation on using Airline names in FS9/FSX FS2002 used a different set of rules for coding Airline names @ziggyATC is not saying Qantas because you added it to a airlines.cfg. ATC is pulling the name into the voice file because it is specified in the proper aircraft.cfg file for that type textured airplane.

located in the FS9 root Main Sound folder. Its the largest size file in that folder and easy to spot.

Jim, all I did is copy the old, extended airlines.cfg into FSX, then I could select 'Qantas' for the airline in the aircraft's settings and ATC called me by that name. It's all in FSX already, except that you need the airlines.cfg so that you will be presented with the extra choices in the UI. The texture I had was the 'Orbit' one, it was night, ATC did not see that I was cheating :-). Happy New Year!Cheers,Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

thanks for the help!!! had to reinstall fs9 to get it to work tho, had to do that because i deleted my old gvp file! haha but it works really wellthanks for the help

ziggy>>then I could select 'Qantas' for the >airline in the aircraft's >settings and ATC called me by that name.>I agree that the airline.cfg list is a cheat sheet for a menu selection when flying a User Aircraft. However, when you selected Qantas through the menu it still placed the lines of code into the Aircraft.cfg so ATC will say "Qantas"The Airlines.cfg is no more then a listing for a menu selection so the User does not have to edit the Aircraft.cfg with notepad.All of that works well if you download a Airline texture and want to use the correct name but many user's have AI Planes that also need a Airline name assigned.Your technique will not work for all the additional airplanes added in FSX (AI type planes) because the menu you are working with may not show all Planes added to FSX. Added AI Airplanes regardless of where they are installed and pathed need a panel alias to show up in selection menu.If you never use any type AI planes your menu selection technique will work just fine as long as the Airline name is listed in the airline.cfg.Sorry if I confused everyone.