Sign in to follow this  
Bilbosmeggins

Rudder on runway

Hi all.

I’ve got a bit of a frustrating problem. When going down the runway before takeoff, and, to a lesser extent, after touchdown, I’m experiencing erratic rudder behaviour.  I feed the power in gently, and balance the rudder pedals accordingly.  Everything goes well, initially, with me holding the centre of the runway no problem. Then, just before takeoff speed, the plane will veer off violently. It’s not a gentle pull, it feels much the same as having a sudden, rapid deflation puncture in a car. I’m usually able to save it, but it’s not pretty. It’s also downright embarrassing at a crowded airport.

I have good rudder pedals, MFG Crosswinds, that don’t exhibit this behaviour in any other sim, so I’m loathe to think that they might be the cause. In fact, I’m certain they’re not the issue. Nor is it plane specific. I’ve been flying the JA28 a lot lately, and thought it might be the culprit, but going back to the stock C172 shows the same problem. Any ideas?

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

4 minutes ago, Bilbosmeggins said:

When going down the runway before takeoff, and, to a lesser extent, after touchdown, I’m experiencing erratic rudder behaviour.

Just check to see if your flight controls settings are set to modern and not legacy.

tpewpb-6.png

Yes, that was the first place I looked. They are set to modern. No control clashes either. and no bizarre rudder behaviour in the air. It’s purely a runway thing.

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

I've had this problem from the very beginning. I think it's a generic Asobo bug/problem. I get it with all aircraft and all mods.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

12 minutes ago, Bilbosmeggins said:

When going down the runway before takeoff, and, to a lesser extent, after touchdown, I’m experiencing erratic rudder behaviour.

There is an Assist Option for rudder / runway that helps!

Bert

Thanks Bert. Unfortunately, my pride will not allow me to have any assists turned on 😂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Adamski_NZ said:

I've had this problem from the very beginning. I think it's a generic Asobo bug/problem. I get it with all aircraft and all mods.

That doesn’t bode well. Can’t say I’m overly surprised though. I thought it was just me, because, apart from rudder control being overly sensitive, I don’t hear too many complaints about it being close to murderous

Try to reduce the sensitivity of the rudder axis, I use -30 on the main axis and -30 on extremity, I think I also have acceleration on 5 or 10, that work quite good on my pedals.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I’ll have a play around with sensitivity. Not sure how I’ve got it at the moment. I know I dampened everything down when I first installed. Thanks 🙂

Do you have another device attached that is mapped to rudder? I had those rudder problems when I had a gamepad attached that had the rudder axes mapped on the triggers.

Windows 10 Pro - Ryzen 3 5900X - nVidia Titan X (Pascal) - 32GB DDR4-3600 === Microsoft Flight Simulator

1 hour ago, Bilbosmeggins said:

Hi all.

I’ve got a bit of a frustrating problem. When going down the runway before takeoff, and, to a lesser extent, after touchdown, I’m experiencing erratic rudder behaviour.  I feed the power in gently, and balance the rudder pedals accordingly.  Everything goes well, initially, with me holding the centre of the runway no problem. Then, just before takeoff speed, the plane will veer off violently. It’s not a gentle pull, it feels much the same as having a sudden, rapid deflation puncture in a car. I’m usually able to save it, but it’s not pretty. It’s also downright embarrassing at a crowded airport.

I have good rudder pedals, MFG Crosswinds, that don’t exhibit this behaviour in any other sim, so I’m loathe to think that they might be the cause. In fact, I’m certain they’re not the issue. Nor is it plane specific. I’ve been flying the JA28 a lot lately, and thought it might be the culprit, but going back to the stock C172 shows the same problem. Any ideas?

I have the same issue. It's not just you. Alpha/Bravo Controls with MFG Crosswinds. It's for sure an Asobo bug. I believe they even discussed it in one of their Twitch sessions.

• Like 1

Gaming rig
Intel i9 13900k - NZXT Kraken Z73 cooler - ASUS Maximus Hero Z790 
32GB Trident Z 6000MHz DDR5 - Gigabyte 4090 GAMING OC 24G
10 x 120mm Lian Li UNI fans - Lian Li OD11XL Case - Corsair HX1500i PSU

This is especially prominent with a cross wind over 8/9kts and completely unrealistic, bugs the hell out of me.  I too let my pride get in the way for far too long but gave in and turned the take off rudder assist on!  

Thomas Derbyshire

This video helped me tame the beast so much that I took snapshots of the curves and settings. Hope this also helps you.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

16 minutes ago, Keirtt said:

I have the same issue. It's not just you. Alpha/Bravo Controls with MFG Crosswinds. It's for sure an Asobo bug. I believe they even discussed it in one of their Twitch sessions.

Reassuring to know that it’s not just me. Hopefully, they’ll address it at some point. Personally, I wish they would shelve the World updates for a bit, and concentrate on ironing out the basics.

• Upvote 1