Sign in to follow this  
Guest iwantmydc3

Good Piper for FSX?

Guest christianholmes

I'm currently training in a Warrior II in real life, and would love a good Piper for FSX. I bought the "Flying Club Warrior" for FSX, and I don't really like it- it is kind of cheap. I'm not sure about the interior either, it certainly doesn't have the black/brown molded plastic panel of all the PA28-161s I've seen, so it might be based on a refinished interior?The flight model is a little borked, and it just won't shed speed like the real plane, so you have to make a much bigger pattern than real life. And each notch of flaps makes the plane pitch and balloon in a way that is ridiculous.I had the Australian Simulation one for FS9, which I really liked- but as far as I know I can't use it in FSX? Or can I?I see Carenado makes a cool looking Archer- how is that?Any other suggestions?

Many of the addons i have including the default planes pitch and balloon when any flaps are added. It really is a bit crazy. The cirrus sr20 that i just bought floats up like a rocket ship when any flaps are added. I think that's the bad thing about actual flight training is that you come back and realize all the shortcomings with the sim. I have seen a few posts from you now comparing the sim and real life and i think you are just setting yourself up for disappointment doing that. I for one am not expecting the sim to hold a candle to real life. I have heard people say that it is a lot easier to fly IRL than in the sim because the planes are more stable IRL and easier to keep trimmed. The AOPA spokeswoman told me that if you can land a plane in the sim then you will have no problem IRL. What the sim is invaluable for is practicing your checklists, techniques, and flight plans before each training. I wish someone would make a cherokee 140 myself since when/if i ever buy a plane it will probably be one of those. If you can, you should probably try to train in a cessna 172 (also) because if you are ever out and about, 90% of the time that's what you will be renting. I start my training in April and am taking my written in late January. Still haven't decided if i am going to do an accelerated training or not. It would be nice to take a 3 or 4 week vacation (burning up most of my time) and get it all done quickly while getting to fly every day in that time. Let me know how you get along.

Guest christianholmes

Yeah, you are probably right- but there HAS to be a way to fix some of these shortcomings.One of the things I struggle with in real life is the workload. Even in clear VFR, going from the sim to real life is daunting. Checklists, radio calls, airspace/terrain awareness and other things you can just ignore in the sim are imperative in real life- so I would really like to use the sim to practice the workload stuff. Like looking up ASOS frequencies on a sectional while flying to running through the various checklists and other things that must be done. At this point, I will accept the shortcomings, but with a little help the sim could be a valuable tool. Like I just installed the Megascenery NY, and found the airports (approaches) are very similiar to real life, including the terrain around the airports. It could definately be used to train, however, the flap problems makes my approaches WAY too high. In fact, I have yet to even be able to land using my real life approach.I wouldn't take what the AOPA spokeswoman said too literally- you will need as much practice as anybody else before you grease it a few times. That being said- yes absolutely it's easier to fly in real life- you have the seat of your pants sensation, as well as 180 degree peripheral vision, and the scenery is very high resolution :) Real life and the sim are just different feelings. But once you fly in real life you can appreciate the sim a little more and fill in the blanks with your mind- but it has to act a little more realistically than it does now.I do plan on training in a 172 at Chester- I want to get good at landing at that airport.

>Many of the addons i have including the default planes pitch>and balloon when any flaps are added. It really is a bit>crazy. But it's not crazy. Many aircraft, do in fact, pitch up, in what we call balloning, with application of flaps. It can be quite noticable in a high wing Cessna, and we anticipate with corrections in pitch, as flaps are deployed.Other types of aircraft might remain rather neutral with flap application, and others may have noticeable down pitch. The effect will also vary with flap settings.L.Adamsonedit: As I remember, and it's been a long time, the Piper Warrior as referred to in the initial post, was more of a neutral airplane in regards to pitch with flaps. The PA 161 Warrier is what I initally trained in, and I remember being warned and a bit surprised by the balloning in my first Cessna instructional flight.

Guest MrBitsy

>I have heard people say that it is a lot easier to>fly IRL than in the sim because the planes are more stable IRL>and easier to keep trimmed. The AOPA spokeswoman told me that>if you can land a plane in the sim then you will have no>problem IRL.I would bet on any zero hour FS veteran leaving a mess if they tried landing a real light aircraft without help. I agree the real aircraft are easier to keep trimmed, but landing in FS will not mean instant success in the real world. It is a skill that takes quite a few hours to get right - the sensation of speed and movement on finals is very different!Ray Keattch

Guest samuel150892

Well dreamfleet2000 are making a piper archer 3Its in beta testing at the moment and they have only 1 exterior preview shot. But from what i have bought from them. They are very profesional and make GREAT GA aircraft. www.dreamfleet2000.com look in there forums and keep an eye out for it.BTW i also have the justflight flying club warrior and i hate it. It is not realistic at all.

Guest j_merv

Flight1 and AOPA have produced an EXCELLENT Piper Cherokee, free for all members of AOPA. It is tons of fun to fly!Check it out.

I would love a Piper Cherokee for FSX, but Flight 1's is for FS2004.If someone from Flight 1 reads this...is there going to be an FSX Cherokee?

Guest iwantmydc3

Hey allI can tell you, ABSOLUTELY as far as controlling the aircraft, it is HUNDREDS of times easier to fly, say, a real 182 then the MSFS default plane. As one user stated the thing that is markedly different is all the other things you need to do besides the piloting. I live in southern california, and even training flights are very busy, because the entire area pretty much is TCA now; there is so much more use of the radio now back when I took my first lessons years ago, and like they said, you have to watch terrain, and so forth, not to mention other traffic! There is no CTRL-; in real life!As far as addons, I haven't found any Pipers but I LOVE the Carenedo 182Q. SO much more like flying a 182 then what MS included in FS9, and it's patched for FSX; that's the first add on I purchased; the Beech Mentor by them is great also. This is why I enjoy flying the payware a/c so much more than the defaults, they are so much more like my real favorites :)

Carenado do a great Piper Cherokee for FS9 and what's even better is..................all their aircraft go straight into FSX with their conversion file.Wait no longer!

Dave Taylor gb.png

Thanks.Went to Carenado and got it. Really didn't know the Cherokee didn't have an autopilot. Surprise. That's OK....I'm going to use it for strictly VFR training.Would love to get the thumbnails of this bird in my FSX aircraft menu. Has anyone done it?

>One of the things I struggle with in real life is the>workload. Even in clear VFR, going from the sim to real life>is daunting. Checklists, radio calls, airspace/terrain>awareness and other things you can just ignore in the sim are>imperative in real life- so I would really like to use theBut we do have ATC and checklists in FS. Also we need to be aware of the terrain unless we disable detect crashes. And ATC seems to be aware of airspaces. What changes (in FS) would be needed to make this more realistic?One thing I have the impression of is that in FS we can ignore how we treat the engines. I can for example ignore cowlflaps. How is this in real life?

The best Piper at this point is the one from Carenado. There are three-types of plane add-ons that can be graded as "good", "better", "best". Carenado is somewhere 3/4 between "better" and "best", while the Flying Club Piper is just "good" - but that's just my opinion.I think you're talking about "Vista Australis" for FS9, which I don't think has been made compatible with FSX yet. However, Cloud9 has released and excellent landclass for major parts of the world, including Australia.G'luck ;)Pat

It's easy enough to add an autopilot to an FS plane. Find one you like and copy it to the panel.cfg (backup your original first). I find FS Panel Studio to be awesome for editing panels (I've made/edited quite a few, including a copy of the panel in my own plane). But you can just do it by hand, too, if you are just adding one gauge. Kind of approximate the x and y and then adjust it with some testing back and forth till you like it.But really, not many Cherokees of '70's vintage have an autopilot anyway.I got into mine in '98 for $7500 for 1/4 share (the previous share owner had lost his medical), and I can't remember ever having a problem using the plane when I wanted to. In fact, one of the owners has never flown the plane as far as I know.Costs me between $500 - $1000/year in maintenance, $350/year in insurance, and $30/hour to fly wet (though we are talking of increasing this with the advent of higher gas prices).BTW, I agree, the Carenado 180F is great in FSX, better I think than it was in FS9. The Carenado Archer is pretty good, too. But I find myself going to the 180F as it is the closest to my own plane and of newer vintage software wise.The 180F I think came out in '70 or '71 (180G in '72) or something like that. Then for my year ('73), they changed the name to Challenger (everyone still calls it a Cherokee), gave it the body of the Archer with some of the Archer interior upgrades (IOW added 5" in length to passenger section, gave it curvy plastic interior trim, added the strake to the vertical stabilizer. But my plane lacks the headrests found in the Archers; still has the 180F seats.) but retained the straight "hershey bar" wings. Then in '74 it became the Archer and it got the new tapered wings. I forget which model was the first with the 3rd passenger window pair, might have been the F or E.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg