Sign in to follow this  
mikealpha

State of REX Weather Force ?

What's the state of REX Weather Force now half a year after release ? It certainly got a few updates since release. Almost all reviews I have read or watched are after the initial release. Has it improved since then ?

Their announcement mentions "live" weather and dynamic transitions. How "live" is the weather really (how actual are the Metars ?) and does one really get transitions, so no sudden wind changes ?

Mike

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

I don't know but I am one of these folks who find the default live weather is very good and it got waaaaay better since release.

• Like 16

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

I alternate and use both. They are both very good and I tend to use the default more in Europe and REX more in the Americas. As far as accuracy, I am not sure, but REX seems a little closer to the current weather here on the West Coast of the USA, but the default might be a bit closer in Europe...who knows...

Both are finally offering rain and snow where appropriate and appearing in the METAR. I still can't stand the icing thing, especially when you get ice in the tropics, but that is an Asobo problem to fix.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

26 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

I don't know but I am one of these folks who find the default live weather is very good and it got waaaaay better since release.

Hm, I had several occasions where I got clear skies while current Metar (or ATIS) reported much differently. I am not really convinced. And it seems impossible to check why it goes wrong.

Mike

• Like 1

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

Its better to start off a scenario with no weather then activate live weather after load in airport seems to work better that way. Rex? no comment.

Edited by jbdbow1970

I have has had good representation of the weather from the default system for the past months. In fact I have been pretty impressed. It may not yet be perfect but it is certainly better than last August and generally adequate for my needs. Hopefully, Asobo continues to refine it. I certainly now think they will get weather to a good place, which is their stated goal.

Dan Scott

15 minutes ago, Cognita said:

I have has had good representation of the weather from the default system for the past months. In fact I have been pretty impressed. It may not yet be perfect but it is certainly better than last August and generally adequate for my needs. Hopefully, Asobo continues to refine it. I certainly now think they will get weather to a good place, which is their stated goal.

Both default and REX require starting with clear weather, before activating their live weather. I check Flightradar or Meteoblue (where the default loads its weather from). The REX app will give you weather for each location. The default often loads something different than what meteoblue says, but REX tends to be right on.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

REX gives me plausible weather parameters for the small aerodromes I typically fly from, then injects the weather from a METAR station a hundred miles away (and yes: I get the point of the METAR, but then why even give me weather details for smaller aerodromes in the first place?).

I use it only when Asobo's weather is having coffee and croissants.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mikealpha said:

Hm, I had several occasions where I got clear skies while current Metar (or ATIS) reported much differently. I am not really convinced. And it seems impossible to check why it goes wrong.

Mike

Well you can try unreal engine: https://unrealweather.blogspot.com/?m=1 it is free and as far as I understood it works similarly to REX based on the METAR injection 

1 hour ago, mikealpha said:

What's the state of REX Weather Force now half a year after release ? It certainly got a few updates since release. Almost all reviews I have read or watched are after the initial release. Has it improved since then ?

Their announcement mentions "live" weather and dynamic transitions. How "live" is the weather really (how actual are the Metars ?) and does one really get transitions, so no sudden wind changes ?

Mike

Just give a try to this freeware. I think better than all and free. It is entegrated to MSFS and works fine.

https://unrealweather.blogspot.com/2020/09/unreal-weather-live-metar-released.html

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV

Since release we have added several key elements (News | REX Simulations) and more to come after our server upgrades are complete in a few weeks.  Our next big Feature Update will be Archive/Historic weather.  We have several other big updates coming after that release.

Some of the major improvements include:

- Dynamic aerosol integration with atmospheric moisture content
- Dynamically changing Presets
- Support for Pilot2ATC
- Immediate surface weather condition rendering
- Dynamic global ground snow monitoring and rendering system
- Upper-level temperatures and winds aloft rendering with latest GFS v16 model

Edited by rstough
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

After several attempts trying to give feedback to REX for fixing the wrong QNH injection to the sim, it's still an issue. Avoid wasting your money on REX until they fix something that freeware Unreal Weather - Live METAR mod can do.

Edited by tmpnmk
  • Like 1

I really like flying into weather systems as the Live Weather generates, sudden changes of clouds like with REX is a immersion killer for me personally!

Edited by rob0203
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rob0203 said:

I really like flying into weather systems as the Live Weather generates, sudden changes of clouds like with REX is a immersion killer for me personally!

I have not used REX in MSFS2020 but I feel the same. The weather is not perfect -- but I have found more often that not is is acceptably close -- but flying toward, through around weather systems that are truly dynamic has brought a sense of realism to flying that I had not had before this platform. I have only flown GA and in this context weather systems have been an impressive feature to me. I have actually cancelled a planned flight because of weather! I am not as concerned if the METAR at a given airport is not precisely what it is in reality at a given moment, that feels to me like searching for the philosophers stone. I would not give up dynamic systems for accurate static weather at given points around the world. Maybe this is a compromise that has to be made -- you have one or the other -- I am not sure.

• Like 4

Dan Scott

1 hour ago, rob0203 said:

I also feel the same, it is mind puzzling to me to give up that immersion of the default weather and go back to METAR based weather injection. Yeah some folks will say is late, at least I have tested here in Germany where I live and I have found it most times spot on (sure it could be like few hours delay but that is for me is not a big deal) and best of it you don't have these annoying weather transitions that we used to have in other sims. But anyway, anyone is free to get whatever they want.

Edited by omarsmak30
  • Like 3