Sign in to follow this  
mikealpha

State of REX Weather Force ?

I was disappointed to find that, unlike Active Sky, REX does not have the option to inject some cirrus cloud into the sim because it is not recorded in a METAR file. I would like to see this feature in the future. So for me, at present. I don't use it.

The diversity in clouds is indeed somewhat limited.

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

13 hours ago, jarmstro said:

I was disappointed to find that, unlike Active Sky, REX does not have the option to inject some cirrus cloud into the sim because it is not recorded in a METAR file. I would like to see this feature in the future. So for me, at present. I don't use it.

When did Active Sky become available for MSFS?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Is there any feature that we get with the default live weather and not with REX? 

Does REX handle visibility any better then default live weather? In my experience, if it's not raining, the visibility is always "unlimited" when using MSFS live weather.

Edited by Tomaz Drnovsek

2 hours ago, fppilot said:

When did Active Sky become available for MSFS?

They say that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

1 hour ago, jarmstro said:

They say that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

????

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

On 4/8/2021 at 3:24 PM, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

Is there any feature that we get with the default live weather and not with REX? 

Does REX handle visibility any better then default live weather? In my experience, if it's not raining, the visibility is always "unlimited" when using MSFS live weather.

I'd really like to know the answer to those two questions. I asked them 3 times already and never got any response. I'm thinking about buying REX Weather Force but not until I know those answers. 

I've used the REX weather system ever since the first struggles with "real" weather in the Sim.  It's not perfect, but its VERY easy to load and for my day to day flight adventures is plenty realistic.  Also, the price was right. 

On 4/8/2021 at 9:24 AM, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

Let me try to answer them for you:

--The main feature of WF is that it provides the simulator with the local weather in a relatively timely way, i.e., the sim weather corresponds to what you might actually have at the airport. Default live weather doesn't necessarily adhere so closely to the local weather, because it looks to a global weather model maintained by by MeteoBlue for its weather status at any given time. This gives the user plausible weather at locations remote from METAR-issuing stations, over the oceans, etc. It also provides better continuity with no awkward weather changes between stations.

--With regard to your second question, I just tried setting up on the active runway at an airport with a METAR report of 100 ft ceiling and 1/2 sm visibility in fog, but there was no rain. The MSFS Live Weather depiction was not terribly close in that the visibility was maybe three miles. The MSFS weather depiction seemed more realistic, with maybe 1/2 sm visibility and and indeterminate low ceiling. 

Not sure if that helps, but I would certainly give WF a Bronze medal on this test, compared to default's performance which can best be described as so-so.

• Like 1

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

On 4/8/2021 at 3:24 PM, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

I do not have REX WF but as far as I understand REX WF takes the METAR of the station closest to your aircraft and uses that weather globally. When you move to another METAR station the weather will change globally according to the METAR of the new station.

The default live weather on the other hand gives you different weather in all directions. You can see weather systems approach from one direction and still see other weather in the other direction. You get a low fog layer over the Monterey Bay and at the same time see clear skies a few miles inland. Flying over a mountain range you can see clouds building up on the windward side and at the same time dry air on the other side. As far as I understand the concept of REX WF it does not give you all that (which is the reason why I do not use REX WF).

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 2

On 4/8/2021 at 6:24 PM, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

I think they mentioned that in the next update they will get aerosol density to work with live weather to give realistic visibilty conditions. 

• Like 1

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

1 hour ago, jrw4 said:

Let me try to answer them for you:

--The main feature of WF is that it provides the simulator with the local weather in a relatively timely way, i.e., the sim weather corresponds to what you might actually have at the airport. Default live weather doesn't necessarily adhere so closely to the local weather, because it looks to a global weather model maintained by by MeteoBlue for its weather status at any given time. This gives the user plausible weather at locations remote from METAR-issuing stations, over the oceans, etc. It also provides better continuity with no awkward weather changes between stations.

--With regard to your second question, I just tried setting up on the active runway at an airport with a METAR report of 100 ft ceiling and 1/2 sm visibility in fog, but there was no rain. The MSFS Live Weather depiction was not terribly close in that the visibility was maybe three miles. The MSFS weather depiction seemed more realistic, with maybe 1/2 sm visibility and and indeterminate low ceiling. 

Not sure if that helps, but I would certainly give WF a Bronze medal on this test, compared to default's performance which can best be described as so-so.

1. I know about those concepts. I was asking more about specific functions, weather effects, weather depictions.

2. Oh, I forgot about the fog. I was thinking about more along the lines of the visibility on a hot summers day compared to cold sunny winter day, if you know what I mean. In my experience if it's not raining (or fog) then the visibility is always 10SM+.

18 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

The default live weather on the other hand gives you different weather in all directions. You can see weather systems approach from one direction and still see other weather in the other direction. You get a low fog layer over the Monterey Bay and at the same time see clear skies a few miles inland. Flying over a mountain range you can see clouds building up on the windward side and at the same time dry air on the other side. As far as I understand the concept of REX WF it does not give you all that (which is the reason why I do not use REX WF).

Well, that's a shame. I guess it's more like P3D weather then. The only thing that I actually like about MSFS weather is missing with REX 😞

Edited by Tomaz Drnovsek

Sounds like you're looking for weather depiction that is true to its local METAR and simultaneously visible from all other locations out to the horizon. I believe that's not going to be possible, if for no other reason than MSOBO has indicated that it will not open weather depiction to 3rd party developers. Because of the way the MSFS weather engine impacts flight dynamics, I think I can understand their reluctance to do so. Presumably the default weather depiction is created on a server farm somewhere and that's off limits so far as the system architecture is concerned.

Maybe one day....

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

12 hours ago, jrw4 said:

Sounds like you're looking for weather depiction that is true to its local METAR and simultaneously visible from all other locations out to the horizon. I believe that's not going to be possible, if for no other reason than MSOBO has indicated that it will not open weather depiction to 3rd party developers. Because of the way the MSFS weather engine impacts flight dynamics, I think I can understand their reluctance to do so. Presumably the default weather depiction is created on a server farm somewhere and that's off limits so far as the system architecture is concerned.

Maybe one day....

I guess I hoped that with completely new simulator that would finally be possible. Apparently this day has not yet come.

On 4/5/2021 at 11:50 AM, Midnight Music said:

Both default and REX require starting with clear weather, before activating their live weather

Huh? For default you have to load the flight with clear weather and then turn on live weather? Literally never heard that. I fly default live all the time and it seems maybe not 100% accurate, but certainly good enough.