Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chas

TO CHAS AND 'THE HOLY GRAIL! THANKS

Guest Wizard

Chas!!! Well where do i start!?I printed your tweaks ..wow! in the end did not install NET 1..I installed someof the freeware progrmns you suggested..and well trying to determine/.??what the fu %$$$$^#&&^$?? did it? :)I narrow down the tweak to ...Registry repair or the 'ms fsx install download fix" Before using any of your suggested tweaks, my fsx was shelved.although..after the fact, I did remove a great deal of clutter whether it be the FSX demo or my first two instals/removals.All I can say, is I am no more a naysayer,,and I have a less than mediocre rig ( what is yours)?So for all of you who have thrown in the towel..check carfully what Chas has suggested...try some of the tweaks(may only apply to lowenders!).Right now I can admit..tonite, I had a hard time to put FSX away. NO autogen of course..seems like I do not need itMy spec..briefly E machine he he Intel Celeron 2.6 (about 3 years old) 1 gig 2100 pc 333 and a Radeon 9200 256,I thought my overbloated, corruped install of fs9 was great ..gulp..hard time to say this..but I think I will play with fsx tommorrow..yep I was a nysayer!!!!!Chas..you are though..my thoughts... to you and your familyHave a good new year!!Mike

Guest Chas

That's nice, thank you!I have a Dell Dimension 8300, (noisy as ####!) 1gig of RAM and a 6800GT graphics card. My Windows XP is highly tweaked, too much to detail here. Have a good new year.BRGDSChas.

Chas,Been following your threads with great interest - I re-installed FSX yesterday trying to follow all your steps. For me, I was looking forward to updating my system for FSX - but now I think I will wait a while. Away from big cities and with minimum or no autogen, even my 2 1/2 year old system runs default FSX very well. But perhaps you could comment on a couple of questions on your experience:1. "Repaired FSX installation with downloaded tool from Microsoft, (mentioned in my previous post, reference MICROSOFT KB928080)."Should I try this as I have never had a problem installing FSX - and I have installed it some 5 times for various reasons { I like to start over with a clean install after tweaking for a while}2."It would be interesting to know how many people saw an introductory video at the end of the install routine."I have never seen this video during a re-install - not that I hang around waiting as I usually let FSX install itself. When does this video show and do you know where it is it located - on the FSX DVD or HDD after install?Very Best WishesJohn Rooum

Guest Trancepilot

I too followed your instructions and actually gain 5-10 fps depending on where I am. Was going to upgrade and build a new system, though still waiting on a few bits of info about new vid cards and DX10. But for my existing system now, Im quite happy with the results. Thanks to you, I can enjoy FSX untill I start my new project. Wishing you n yours a very happy new year...

Guest Chas

Hello John,If you are already running FSX very well, then there may be no extra mileage for you to gain. I just noted down, (in my previous post) what I was doing with my system prior to installing FSX. It was never my intention to provide a list of tweaks, just the event's that lead up to a very healthy performance gain on my system using very high levels of autogen. As you can see by reading other post's, some members in this forum are reporting large leaps in performance after a re-install, they suspect it may be something to do with the KB928080fix they used to repair their faulty and corrupted installations.I would not advocate using the tool to repair an Installation that appears to work. You can try it if you are brave or simply wait until the pundit's figure out what the problem is. It does appear from what I have read that other people have been lucky and have had big performance leaps after using this tool but they had a genuine reason for using the tool as did I.You can use a registry cleaning tool to clean up your registry prior to installing FSX to remove redundant entries. I used CCleaner which is free. The Video I have found, it can be activated by going to one of the introduction pages where you are asked if you are a beginner, returning or experienced pilot. I believe I was asked what skill level I was at the end of the installation and the appropriate video then played for my skill level, (it's not really a video) then the flight simulator opened up ready to fly. Because I never saw this during my first installs, I am assuming that my first installs did not complete properly. DirectX installed too, had I been asked if I wanted to install it, I would have said no as I am up-to date with DirectX. All I can say is there appeared to be more happening at the end of this last install. I thought this could be used as a measure as to the quality of future installs. If you do decide to run the risk of running MICROSOFT KB928080 fix before your installation without needing to, let us know what happens and good luck!Chas

Guest Chas

I am pleased you too have had some luck, 5-10 FPS is a pretty good gain! You did not mention your system specifications.......Yours ayeChas

Guest Trancepilot

I see it as a sort of 'mid level system' Nothing great, but it has served me well. AMD 3000 on an NF2 Biostar MB2gigs of DDR 400 ramtwo WD 8o gig hd7800gs vid w/ 256 mb of vid memxp w/sp2I got my installation of FSX in its own 17 gb partition (x:) which helps with keepin the sucker nicely defragged. Like I said, nothing special, I just try to keep it clean and it serves me well.Trancepilot

Guest Chas

Yeah!!!I hope you have discovered something too!Chas.

Guest aspenleaf

I have to say that it worked for me, too. I didn't apply the Microsoft KB fix, because I had no need to. I simply uninstalled, cleaned the registry, rebooted, started .Net and Windows installer services and reinstalled. I never got a video or DirectX installation, but I am getting 20% increase in FPS.Amazing results, thanks for the tip!I have an AMD64 3000 o/c to 2.2GHZ, Nvidia 7900GS 256MB, 2 GB DDR400 RAM, 7200 rpm drive.

Guest Chas

I now realise that I did a few other things too...I probably checked to see if there were any files left in the FSX cfg folder, the one that can be found under Documents And Settings. I know I went there with the view to remove that folder completely in my clean-up operation.I am sure I also disabled the Windows XP File Checker, I now remember looking at that too. This apparently can fudge a few installs and stop some files being up-dated.I tried adding this extra info to my original post but "fudged it", it's lost somewhere in the middle of all the post's. I tried to add it under my first post.Again twenty percent gain, well done!Chas.

Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

A couple of months back I posted something similar to this.My theory was that when FSX is installed, preset multipliers are enforced on the settings. What I mean is that while 100% road traffic on one system has about 800 cars per cell, on another machine it may only be 500. I theorized this because I had noted on several installations that the clouds looked different even though both systems were at 100% density. A few tests proved that my theory had more of a basis than just mere coincidence.I think that Chas has hit somewhere along the same route I was on before shelving FSX until the patch comes out. I firmly believe that the install process sets up a relative multiplier for each slider, that effectively makes 100% on any setting different from 100% on the next.Hope this helps you guys figure all this out, it's all I can do. I still maintain that I'm gonna patiently await the patch... but xmas is coming soon... :)

Guest Chas

That's a very interesting observation. I understand what you are saying.......BRGDSChas.

Guest SuperFortress

I am very eager to try out this tweak. I do have one question though. Will this only work on a system that had FSX, was then uninstalled, and finally reinstalled again using the tweak OR can this tweak also be applied to a brand new 1st time installation of FSX? Thank you.