Sign in to follow this  
FlyingsCool

Inner Ailerons

Don't know if this has been asked before but could't find anything doing a search.I mainly fly the 747 and have noticed that the inner ailerons (section between inner and outer flaps) don't ever move on my setup. I've noticed in videos I have of real 747's the inner ailerons are quite active during takeoffs & landings. Are these movable parts on FSX 747's?Wilbert

Guest Jimbofly

In real life the inner ailerons are the high-speed ones, whereas the outer ones are low-speed ones. The inner ones only engage at high speed or to augment the low-speed ailerons at low speed. I'm not sure if the PMDG aircraft does this correctly as I don't have it, but I do know that the default 747 is no-where near the fidelity of a real 747.James

Guest Redvan

using outboard ailerons during high speed flight = (-: :-badteeth :-bla

G'day Wilbert,I am reasonably certain that NO B747 in any flight sim has faithfully simulated aileron control/operation.It is common for people to call the inboard ailerons high speed ailerons but this is a misnomer as the inbd ailerons operate at all times, not just at high speeds. The inbd ailerons are NOT diferential - they deflect 20 degrees up and down. They are also NOT mass balanced - thus you can often see both inbd ailerons hanging down when the aircraft is at the ramp/terminal and no hydraulic power on the aircraft.The outbd ailerons ARE differential - 25 up 15 down and ARE mass balanced to prevent flutter.The outboard ailerons work at low speeds, however they are locked out in neutral at high speeds.The locking out of the outbd ailerons depends on the model of the B747 On the B747-200's the lockout mechanism is activated by a micro switch that drives a lockout motor as soon as the flaps move away from the full-up the outbd ailerons start functioning proportionally with flap movement and by the time the flaps get to 1 unit the outbd ailerons can achieve full deflection of 25 up 15 down.The B747-400 is a much more complicated system - uses computers :-)Outbd aileron lockout is a very complex schedule involving airspeed, mach number and flap position. In essence the ailerons lock/unlock between 232 - 238 Kts with mach number and flap position controls.I would have thought that PMDG would have the inbd ailerons operational so maybe you have something wrong with your installation?I suggest you post in the PMDG forum for a definitive answer about the PMDG B747.Cheers,Roger

Thanks for all responses,I was making reference to the default FSX 747. I do have PMDG for FS9 and have never noticed whether they more or not. Since FSX has a wing view which I use sometimes during takeoffs I saw no inner aileron movement at any time. From several videos of actual wingviews of real 747-400 takeoff there is quite a bit of inner aileron movement for leveling and turns.Wilbert

Guest ka2zme

Hi Wilbert, I dont believe microsoft bothered making the inboard ailerons active at all. But what the heck, its great to see that big wing bending and flexing. Try out the new posky 747sp it has it all. Bending wings and the inner ailerons move, the outer move but lock at higher speed just like the real thing. Im not sure about the spoilerons, i had to go into the cfg and enable them and they now work as well. Brian