Sign in to follow this  
hangar

Is there a Final Approach Utility?

Anyone know if a utility exists yet for msfs2020 which can line you up some miles out on final approach at your chosen airfield?

Edited by hangar

Generally I just use LittleNavMap.  You can add an approach for any runway to the flight plan, add traffic patterns to the map, or just draw a measuring line however far out you want from the threshold. 

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

Just select your arrival runway as your destination in the main menu world map leaving departure empty.

It will spawn you on a 10 mile approach,fully configured, aligned with the runway 😉

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hangar said:

Anyone know if a utility exists yet for msfs2020 which can line you up some miles out on final approach at your chosen airfield?

And you can use free recorder to save your position(record your flight)  on approach and study your aproach as much as you can...

https://flightsim.to/file/8163/flight-recorder

Edited by kt069
  • Like 1

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV

As said, you can do this with LittleNavMap by drawing a measuring line from the runway and set an waypoint at the end of it, and the best part, it is a freeware.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

5 hours ago, Noooch said:

Just select your arrival runway as your destination in the main menu world map leaving departure empty.

It will spawn you on a 10 mile approach,fully configured, aligned with the runway 😉

This seems like a very neat/clean solution to me, especially the fact that you can also just restart it over and over with 1 click...the only caveat is that it offers no real control over the parameters such as distance from the threshold. Does it always spawn you 10 miles out, even if you're in the TBM?

a recorder may also be a good option for me as I've been wanting a replay ability to watch my touchdowns anyway...but does the freeware recorder offer the ability to rewind an approach and then re-fly it live? I think fs playground does that from what i can recall, but can the free app do it as well?

Edited by hangar

6 hours ago, Noooch said:

So if it's capable of doing that, why does the skip-ahead feature work so badly?  9 times out of 10 if I run out of time and skip ahead to approach or descent, it respawns the planes with half the switches turned off, the AP disengaged, at some weird random altitude below where I should be, and often in a dive. And it miscalculates the fuel burn too; I did one the other day with 20k predicted on landing while I was cruising at altitude. Skipped ahead to approach and spawned completely out of fuel.

6 hours ago, Noooch said:

This works fine for me, but it puts me on a very short final approach.  I generally just select the destination airport, then click anywhere on the map as the 'departure' point.  Doing this, you can tailor the approach distance (..and height, if you wish).   

2 hours ago, eslader said:

So if it's capable of doing that, why does the skip-ahead feature work so badly?

I think you are talking about something else, I don't know what to tell you, it just works.

You can always use the S key to adjust the airplane position.

On 4/6/2021 at 5:59 AM, hangar said:

Your best friend is Little Navmap, as posted before! To make this a bit more clear: rightclick on your destination and select 'Create approach' and you will be able to setup the entry distance to the runway threshold  and the entry altitude above the runway. Works like a charm. Even for small grass bush fields! Check this link!

Edited by tup61