Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Want a movable tower view to watch AI traffic in FSX? Here's how.

Guest delsimflyer

Open the cameras.cfg which is stored next to fsx.cfg using notepad. Go to the ai traffic camera settings, second last in the list. Replace Track=None by Track=Track. That's it. Now when you run fsx and select to view an ai aircraft in the list you will not get the spot view but tower view with its position same as that of your plane. Slew your plane any where and just have nice view. No need to worry about the distance of ai planes, the camera won't leave its position like it does in fs8 and fs9. Don't mess with the camera.cfg in main fsx folder. That's only a backup.Do let me know if you like my idea.Enjoy!

That is not the way FSX intended for us to use a PAN view of the airport from inside the Control Tower.In FS2004 the Tower view always tracked the user aircraft but FSX has many new additional features for ViewsTower cameras, can now toggle between tracking and free-panning modes. To do this you must provide a keyboard mapping for the

Guest delsimflyer

Hey Jim,Have you tried doing that thing yourself or have you just written the thing given in the camera configuration SDK? Well, I did try this thing, but no use, I assigned shift+O to it temporarily. Now what happened was that the view would to extreme left or right with each press of the assigned keys, no controlled panning. May be something may have gone wrong. But, neverthless it still is not much useful. I will like to remind you that you can't move tower in fsx and no one will like to just gaze on planes sitting at the top and straining fingers to keep planes in view which becomes quite difficult when you zoom in. My idea that I had told, makes it possible to sit close to the runway threshold and enjoy the overhead flybys and their new awesome ai sounds. This way you can have a tower view for ai aircrafts at just any angle.

>>Have you tried doing that thing yourself >or have you just written the thing given in >the camera configuration SDK?>MS does not use verbage such as "that thing" or "the thing"I took the information from the 350+ page technical book published for FSX and it works perfectly on all 4 computers that I write FS9/FSX xml code for. Plus it is also in the 273+ page Book Bound Official Guide for MFS FSX >>Now what happened was that the view would >to extreme left or right with each press of >the assigned keys, no controlled panning.>It appears that your camera configurations have been corrupted when you say>>Open the cameras.cfg which is stored next >to fsx.cfg using notepad. Go to the >ai traffic camera settings, second >last in the list. >Replace Track=None by Track=Track.>The default AI camera line entry is Track = FlatChaseLockednot Track=None When you change to Track=Track for AI Planes you are reverting back to a Camera that tracks the object while maintaining its position (similar to Tower view in prior versions of Flight Simulator) as per the SDK. I don't want to go backwards to previous versions of FS but rather use the newer methods in view mode.Control panning works just fine if the global camera configurations have not been altered. Run the test that FSX uses (SDK) to check to see if your panning is corrupt.>>I will like to remind you >that you can't move tower in fsx >You have been mislead Some of us realized the Tower and eye point view in FSX at some airports are not positioned correctly. You can put the Control Tower anywhere you want and seperate the LAT/LON eye point to a different position and height.A tutorial was written over a month ago on moving Control Towers. Why else would FSX give us the option to >>My idea that I had told, makes it possible >to sit close to the runway threshold and enjoy >the overhead flybys and their new awesome ai sounds.>There is a Flyby already defined in FSX in the view menuI am not critizing what you are trying to do but you said>>Do let me know if you like my idea.>

Thanks, Jim... I've had my nose buried so deep in FSX modeling and gauge programming for the past year that I've not yet had time to learn much else about FSX... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I am happy to say that I tried this out and it seemed to work. The only "problem" that I had was that I needed to hit the "A" button to watch the next plane arrive. Is there are way to just plant the camera next to the runway so that the planes are followed in one after the other and I wouldn't have to keep hitting the button. Active camera was able to do this but as we all know Active camera doesn't work in FSX.

I am happy to say that I tried this out and it seemed to work. The only "problem" that I had was that I needed to hit the "A" button to watch the next plane arrive. Is there are way to just plant the camera next to the runway so that the planes are followed in one after the other and I wouldn't have to keep hitting the button. Active camera was able to do this but as we all know Active camera doesn't work in FSX.
All normal FSX views work in Tower, spot, locked spot, zoom, etc Just point one where you want it and set your zoom level. As a real kick, you can set the tower on the runway and FSX will treat you as a AI plane and all inbound flights will have to go missed approach. :(

Jay

I took the information from the 350+ page technical book published for FSX and it works perfectly on all 4 computers that I write FS9/FSX xml code for. Plus it is also in the 273+ page Book Bound Official Guide for MFS FSX
Apologies for going slightly off topic, but can you tell me where I can get the "350+ page technical book published for FSX" you mention ? I have the Official Guide for MFS FSX.