Sign in to follow this  
Binford

Autogen / Scenery draw distance causing CTD

Hello Everybody,

i encountered a very strange behavior recently. I don't know if there is an correlation between all this things.

During my last flights i noticed that ground textures becoming blurry during the flight. I tried to do a scenery reload via a FSUIPC Key command which normally works fine but in this case leads my P3D to crash to desktop.

I did some trouble shooting to figure out whats wrong and during this i noticed that when i change my Mesh Resolution i got a CTD almost immediately after hitting Ok (loading screen appears at 0% and thereafter P3D crashed within seconds)

I rebuild my Prepar3D.cfg to default with all settings at default and tried to change the Mesh Resolution which works just fine. So i did all my Settings again and thereafter i got again CTDs while changing Mesh Resolution. I traced everything back to the Autogen and Scenery Draw Distance Value to the Setting which causes the CTD. When i set this to anything higher than "Medium" my P3D crashes when i tried to change Mesh Resolution. With "Medium" everything works fine.

I have no Idea whats going on here ... Maybe anybody?

Greetings
Michael

fslabs_banner.png

What Nvidia driver release are you using? The newest one causes problems with P3D.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

1 minute ago, pgde said:

What Nvidia driver release are you using? The newest one causes problems with P3D.

I was on an older on (approx 2 month old) when i encountered this problem. As part of my trouble shooting i installed the second last one as i already read about problems with the newest one.

So this could not be the problem...

But thanks anyway.

Greetings
Michael

fslabs_banner.png

I've always found that increasing autogen draw distance beyond medium causes all kinds of instabilities and scenery loading issues. Not always CTDs but there's always something. Stuttering, pauses, blurries etc. As a result, I keep it at medium. It's mostly fine anyway from inside the cockpit, where I spend 99% of my time. You mostly only see the sharp line where the autogen ends with external views.

Edited by andreh

On 4/6/2021 at 8:47 PM, Binford said:

I was on an older on (approx 2 month old) when i encountered this problem. As part of my trouble shooting i installed the second last one as i already read about problems with the newest one.

So this could not be the problem...

But thanks anyway.

Greetings
Michael

Just to make sure: When you installed a new driver, did you do the DDI-complete-uninstall of the old one? I know NVIDIA says it's not necessary etc. etc., but I've made this mistake TWICE in the last couple of months (i.e. not using DDI before installing a new driver) and I had constant crashes, e.g. when changing graphics settings. It is what it is. I am running 461.40 now and have no CTD anymore.