Sign in to follow this  
Sabre57

GPS on networked PC

I know that there are several excellent stand alone GPS products that work with P3d.  However, based on what information I could find, it doesn't seem like any of them can operated on a PC separate from the sim pc over the network.  I'm aware of several moving map apps but I'm really looking for GPS functionality.

Is there such a thing?

Thanks!  

I9-9900, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3090 FTW

1 hour ago, Sabre57 said:

it doesn't seem like any of them can operated on a PC separate from the sim pc

Why do you need it to run a separate PC?  The RXP GNS and GTN units are really good, and do not take a lot of CPU cycles to run..  You can display them on a separate monitor if that is important to you..

• Like 1

Bert

Flight1 Aviation Technologies Consumer > Products (flight1tech.com)

These are all stand-alone programs (they can't be added into the aircraft VC of course, as they are not gauges) which will run on a separate machine. There's a G750 and a G530 - not sure if that's what you want?

As you can see, not cheap (especially if you want support for real hardware). And to be honest, in my experience, Flight1Tech don't seem to be that bothered about the consumer market; the support (which you have to pay for after the 1st year) can be lacklustre. I own the G1000 Student Simulator Pro. It supports quite a limited selection of aircraft (all piston engine, only one twin). They haven't added any new features to the software for years, just sim and OS compatibility updates. The commercial version of this software, which they sell with their turnkey trainer systems, has synthetic vision and loads of extra functionality and type-specific customisations, but none of that makes its way into the consumer product. I suspect this is as much because the software is basically a wrapper around the actual Garmin G1000 code (yes, apparently that's true) and so they can only sell what Garmin will license.

There may be others out there from other companies, but Flight1Tech is what I know... 

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

16 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Why do you need it to run a separate PC?  The RXP GNS and GTN units are really good, and do not take a lot of CPU cycles to run..  You can display them on a separate monitor if that is important to you..

Most because I have a separate PC that I run Air Manager on for the instruments and would like to keep them all in one place.  Air Manager doesn't have a GPS at this time and not sure they will make one.  And my sim PC is displaying on 3 tvs and for some reason doesn't like my small usb touch screen where I would put the GPS.

I9-9900, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3090 FTW