Sign in to follow this  
sergemodular

fast turn AAO

I built some rotary encoders to use with AAO and they work great but I can't figure out how to get the fast turn setting to work with them.

I want a very fast rotation to trigger a different event than a normal slow rotation.   For instance a fast turn could increase altitude at 500 feet and slow turns just 100 feet.

I tried using AP_ALT_VAR_INC with a value of 500 for key down event and the same with value of 100 for key up event.

It doesn't matter what I set the Fast Turn ms to it just triggers both key down event and key up event giving me 600 feet for each click of the rotary encoder.

Any suggestions?  This would be a very nice feature to use for altitude, heading, OBS setting etc.  

Hello,

"Fast turn" is a separate assignment for the same action, same as the "Combo".

You create one normal assignment to the "right turn" event with INC 100, and then a second one, also for "right turn", with INC 1000 and "fast turn" active.

LORBY-SI

Ok I tried creating  one normal assignment with "right turn" event (in this case the rotary encoder sends the key F12 but I can edit the arduino controller to make it any key value) with INC of 100

Then I created a second one also for F12 with INC 1000 and fast turn active.   Unfortunately when I rotate the encoder or hit F12 on my keyboard I can't get the fast turn event of INC1000 to ever trigger.   It only triggers the INC of 100.   I've tried all sorts of different values for the Fast Turn from 50 ms to 400ms.   Nothing.  

I also tried making the assignment of INC 1000 with fast turn enabled first and the non fast turn assignment second.  In this situation only the FAST turn enabled assignment triggers and it goes no matter how fast or slow I trigger the event.   

I assume that I'd have to hit that key really fast for AAO to see the time between presses as being less than 50ms and then triggering the keydown event but it triggers it on each individual press no matter how slowly I key it.  

I'm sure its something really simple that I'm doing wrong but I'm at a loss as to what that is at the moment. 

2 hours ago, sergemodular said:

in this case the rotary encoder sends the key F12

Fast turn hasn't been implemented for keyboard input - only joystick and MIDI controls. I couldn't imagine how to do this with keyboard keys, so I skipped that.

So your Arduino is sending keyboard events? Any other option with that, like sending MIDI events? 

Anyway, I can add the fast turn to keyboard events too, that's not a big deal. But I would need your help in testing it. If you send me your proof of purchase by email, you can have an updated AAO version that will hopefully do what you have in mind. Address is on the last page of the user manual.

(Btw. I am also working on an Arduino Bridge program that accesses the AAO WebAPI.)

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

I had some issues getting the joystick library to work with my arduino.  

Maybe one way you could program fast turn to be input agnostic is by just saving time between the calls for the assignment and if the call is within the fast turn threshold trigger the button down and if its outside the call time trigger button up?  That would allow you to use only one assigned button for a fast turn call.  Offhand I can't think of any edge case use where someone would want different button down button up and fast turn.  

For now I'll just set up with a combo key for fast turn which works fine. 

Anyway loving AAO.    Its totally changed the way I interact with MSFS.  

Edited by sergemodular