Sign in to follow this  
harpsi

Overclocking with RTX 3090

Hi, 

Is it very important for "frames per second" and fluidity of the game to overclock a videocard such as the RTX 3090?

I ask because I might have a chance to get MSI Gaming Trio X...  

8 minutes ago, harpsi said:

Hi, 

Is it very important for "frames per second" and fluidity of the game to overclock a videocard such as the RTX 3090?

I ask because I might have a chance to get MSI Gaming Trio X...  

That is about as quick as you are going to get Harpsi, so there should be no need to overclock it. 

The sim has a few issues that need fixing / optimising, such as the pauses introduced at one of the last sim updates, and no amount of overclocking will get around that unfortunately.

If I had the money and the opportunity, I would probably go for the RTX 3090 myself, due to the extra VRAM on it.  So, there is no real need to overclock it, unless you are a few frames away from a much sought after 60 FPS. :smile:

A few of the guys on here have 3090's  - maybe they could tell you what they do.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

27 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

That is about as quick as you are going to get Harpsi, so there should be no need to overclock it. 

The sim has a few issues that need fixing / optimising, such as the pauses introduced at one of the last sim updates, and no amount of overclocking will get around that unfortunately.

If I had the money and the opportunity, I would probably go for the RTX 3090 myself, due to the extra VRAM on it.  So, there is no real need to overclock it, unless you are a few frames away from a much sought after 60 FPS. :smile:

A few of the guys on here have 3090's  - maybe they could tell you what they do.

Good. It seems to be a good card because all Asus TUF and Asus ROG Strix are flying in seconds after being online for purchase. 😁

However I will wait for some two or three opinions. Thanks

• Like 1

I do not overclock mine, and see no need either. It is a beast.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

Agreed - I don't overclock. You can either run full 4k with some graphical tweaks and hit 60fps, or - like I do, have all the GFX options/render/resolution turned up to the max and lock it at 30fps with lots of headroom for busy areas...

• Like 3

As @bobcat999 mentioned there are issues with the optimization of the software, you can put as many 3090s you wish and it will not fix the software problems.

If you overclock the 3090 (or any other GPU for that reason) you will face high temperatures, high fan noise and ultimately will affect the whole operation of the PC.

From my experience, I had a chance to start with a 3090, I did overclock and for 3 or 5 more FPS I had to listen to high fan noises. I tried 30390 in SLI, no changes. Again software not optimized properly and no improvement. Then I went for water cooled 3090 and overclock more, same problems. 

Thou outstanding results in P3D or XP11, I use my PC just for the simulator and after trying all the above scenarios, I just uninstalled the MSFS2020 and will try again when they will get the software in order. 

There is no need to overclock and stress your PC just for one vendor because of their inability to optimize properly the game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

pray the asobo fix the performance issue they introduced in a recent world update.

that aside, you could use msi afterburner to overclock the gpu clock and memory clock and run the port royal benchmark to test stability.  you will probably get a few fps so could be worthwhile.  if you experience ANY instabilities in msfs after overclock, dial it back or eliminate overclock.  stability is preferred over slight fps gain. 

I dont have mine overclocked.

Edited by Brandon01110
  • Like 2

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

This will not help, you will not earn extra fps.

• Like 3

Guillaume

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K OC 5.5 GHz▪︎  ZOTAC RTX 4090 Trinity OC ▪︎ 64GB Crucial Ballistix  ▪︎ Windows 11 Pro (23H2) ▪︎ 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive et MSFS) ▪︎ 3x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD ▪︎  Corsair RMX 1000W 80 plus Gold PSU  ▪︎ LIAN-LI ODYSSEY X black case

I overclock my Strix 3090... I run the boost clock at +60 and the memory at +250 with the power limit maxed at +123%.  It doesn't make much difference in MSFS... maybe 1-3 FPS (at 50-60FPS) in certain situations.  It does have a more substantial impact (like 10FPS) in some of my other games.  It's probably not worth the effort of going through the iterative adjustments and stability testing to OC just for MSFS.  You should probably just max out the power limit and let the card overclock itself if your case is not a hot box.

Edited by Virtual-Chris
  • Like 1

Overclocking the 3090 is not really necessary and I believe it has not much room for it anyway, considering the powerdraw. In fact, I'd recommend experimenting with undervolting the GPU. It will lower the powerdraw, creates less heat and noise and might not cost you performance, depending on how far you are going with that. There are some guides on the internet on how to do it.

First make sure it runs nice and stable with default settings though. For MSFS, the GPU is mostly limited by the CPU until Asobo has optimised their code better. Perhaps DirectX12 will change things for the better.

• Like 2

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

2 hours ago, Tork_Curve said:

Agreed - I don't overclock. You can either run full 4k with some graphical tweaks and hit 60fps, or - like I do, have all the GFX options/render/resolution turned up to the max and lock it at 30fps with lots of headroom for busy areas...

That is exactly what I do, I can see no difference between 30 fps and 50+fps so keep sync on and lock it at 30fps, on the plus side the GPU runs cooler. If you want to chase fps rate that is fine, but I am happy if the sim runs smoothly and it does at 30fps on my system.😎

Asus Maximus Hero X11, Intel i9 10850k, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, 2tb Corsair mp510 ssd  m2, Gigybyte turbo RTX 3090

it depends , if you buy a factory oc card its overclocked the std nivida boost is 1695mhs up to 1860 for a strix oc its 10% overclock, my galax Hof OCLab have 1905 in std bios.

i oc the boost 150mhz more to 2055 it normally boost to 2150 all time its a 10% oc over a strix , with no extra voltage . the max powertarget is 600w use 400w in MSFS. you can test for example Port Royal a comon test today.

i run sync 30 the the thing is that you have more headroom and less risk to bootleneck the gpu.

Edited by westman

4 hours ago, FrankR409 said:

I do not overclock mine, and see no need either. It is a beast.

Likewise.

• Like 1

I run mine at stock and find no need to overclock either.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

So, it is more or less the same if you buy Asus TUF, Asus Rog Strix or MSI X Gaming Trio if you are just thinking to run MSFS, correct? Do we really need to overclock the processor? I will buy i9-10900K...

Edited by harpsi