Sign in to follow this  
harpsi

Overclocking with RTX 3090

20 minutes ago, reignman40 said:

I have a 2080 Super and run at 1440P at dang near ultra everything. I can only imagine the temps if I OC'd.😆 

I had a 2080 super running the sim at full ultra on an ultra wide 3440x1440p and while i had that card (up until i upgraded in February) an extra 3 to 5 frames was worth it. The card  came with a factory overclock and i  did an additional overclock of  the core and the memory, card never came even remotely close to its temp limits and ran like a champ. Didn't even need to mess with the fan curve so it wasn't noisy either. For me its the quality of the components you buy and the process of doing your homework to target the correct component that can tolerate an overclock and also to know and respect the limits of the said component.  If you don't know what your doing and are unwilling to learn... stick to the stock stuff.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

The difference is going to be paltry.  As long as you don't need to overvolt that rediculously expensive 3090 to get few percent better thruput might as well, but I wouldn't give it any more voltage than it already gets it's just not worth the stress on that rediculously expensive 3090.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

No OC for me. Don't see the point with the 3090 at this point. 

• Like 1

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

There is nothing wrong with trying an overclock on your GPU. It's easy to do and you can decide if its worth it or not. I run my EVGA 2080 Super a bit overclocked above the factory overclock and have no issues. Its a hybrid card (AIO water cooled) and doesn't get very hot. The slightly increased fan speed from the radiator fan is not noticeable over the engine noise of the sim. I hate noisy pc's and don't use a headset. That said, if an overclock causes too much noise, heat or has instability issues and only gets you a frame or two more, yeah probably not worth it. Try it and find out. Trying to run 4k and get all the eye candy is a struggle with my GPU. I need all I can get out of it. 

5 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

It depends what resolution you want to run and what frame rate. 

I’m seeking 60FPS at 4K. And I’ve largely achieved that when MSFS is having a good day.

If you want 1440p at 30FPS, that’s a much different story. 

What are you trying to achieve?

i9-10900k and one available RTX 3090...

Forget RTX 3080. They don't sell it. Forget RTX 3070, Maybe too less for MSFS will all thousand addons at maximum and almost the double price of a normal video card.

I don't like AMD in general, which means that 6800 XT and 6900 XT are out of option. Just 3090s are left...  

The only things I need to know are: 1. with or without overclocking because there are still 400 euros of difference between them; 2. which one is the best for cooling, noise, and the game itself from these three: a) Asus ROG Strix; b) Asus TUF; c) MSI Gaming X Trio. It seems that all the other RTX 3090s are not so good as those I mentioned. 

Edited by harpsi

Running an ASUS TUF 3090, I never OC for MSFS, don't see the point as my card rarely if ever hits 100% 

• Like 1

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

6 hours ago, harpsi said:

i9-10900k and one available RTX 3090...

Forget RTX 3080. They don't sell it. Forget RTX 3070, Maybe too less for MSFS will all thousand addons at maximum and almost the double price of a normal video card.

I don't like AMD in general, which means that 6800 XT and 6900 XT are out of option. Just 3090s are left...  

The only things I need to know are: 1. with or without overclocking because there are still 400 euros of difference between them; 2. which one is the best for cooling, noise, and the game itself from these three: a) Asus ROG Strix; b) Asus TUF; c) MSI Gaming X Trio. It seems that all the other RTX 3090s are not so good as those I mentioned. 

Strix.. hands down best card on the list. Runs cooler with higher quality components and a better designed cooler with the highest power allocation and boost clocks. The TUF gaming is also a very well designed card but does not have the highest feature set. The Gaming X trio is designed to run very well out of the box but there is limited OC headroom. The question again would be would you need to OC.

https://premiumbuilds.com/graphics-cards/best-rtx-3090-aftermarket-cards/

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

5 minutes ago, Maxis said:

Strix.. hands down best card on the list. Runs cooler with higher quality components and a better designed cooler with the highest power allocation and boost clocks. The TUF gaming is also a very well designed card but does not have the highest feature set. The Gaming X trio is designed to run very well out of the box but there is limited OC headroom. The question again would be would you need to OC.

https://premiumbuilds.com/graphics-cards/best-rtx-3090-aftermarket-cards/

That was more or less my initial idea. It seems that we agree 🙂

4 minutes ago, harpsi said:

That was more or less my initial idea. It seems that we agree 🙂

Just make sure that for this card or the MSI card you are able to provide the three X 8 pin power connectors the card needs to run properly. You may get away with a splitter but it is very much NOT recommended to do so.

The Tuf Gaming only requires 2 x 8 pin connectors.

Whatever you decide. Have fun and try to enjoy the sim once you get everything dialed in. For a time you may be drawn into focusing on framerates and settings but once you find the sweet spot enjoy the sim... turn off the frame counters lol

Cheers

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maxis said:

Just make sure that for this card or the MSI card you are able to provide the three X 8 pin power connectors the card needs to run properly. You may get away with a splitter but it is very much NOT recommended to do so.

The Tuf Gaming only requires 2 x 8 pin connectors.

Whatever you decide. Have fun and try to enjoy the sim once you get everything dialed in. For a time you may be drawn into focusing on framerates and settings but once you find the sweet spot enjoy the sim... turn off the frame counters lol

Cheers

What do I need to do about "providing 3 x 8 pin power connectors"?

Edited by harpsi

3 minutes ago, harpsi said:

What do I need to do about "providing 3 x 8 pin power connectors"?

Find out the make and model of your power supply. Its output rating and the available connectors that come with it. Thats a start. If you havent done any research on the power draw requirements of these cards then yeah you still have some work to do to make sure there are no surprises when you install.

2 minutes ago, Maxis said:

Find out the make and model of your power supply. Its output rating and the available connectors that come with it. Thats a start. If you havent done any research on the power draw requirements of these cards then yeah you still have some work to do to make sure there are no surprises when you install.

I have some ideas but first the videocard because it is the only difficult part to find 😉

1 minute ago, harpsi said:

I have some ideas but first the videocard because it is the only difficult part to find 😉

Fair enough. 🙂

• Like 1

You will be lucky to find any 3090's for sale, Scan, UK have them occasionally at £2000.00+, you basically have to grab what is available when they come on sale, if you are prepared to pay the exorbitant price. I paid £1699.00 for mine just before Xmas and that made my eyes water lol I cannot believe I paid that much money for a GPU. 😐

Asus Maximus Hero X11, Intel i9 10850k, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, 2tb Corsair mp510 ssd  m2, Gigybyte turbo RTX 3090

1 hour ago, Maxis said:

Strix.. hands down best card on the list. Runs cooler with higher quality components and a better designed cooler with the highest power allocation and boost clocks.

Fully agree, I got the OC version and played around a bit with the various options, but there really is no need to overclock it.

@harpsi This is the connector side of my power supply (Corsair AX1000 1000W 80+ Titanium). Ideally, you need 3 separate cables from 3 of the 6 8-pin sockets at the right to the 3090 card in order to ensure stable power to the card.

6903288_4.jpg

Edited by SierraDelta
  • Like 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models