Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

The Best of Times; The Worst of Times

1 minute ago, Fielder said:

I'll probably try a Facebook Oculus when they release the next model later this year to replace the Quest 2.

No, no, don't do that!  You should have just warranty exchanged your G2, but I guess that horse has left the barn.  But once you get your refund (or before, if you trust HP, which I do), you're better off just getting another.  You did get a lemon, they don't all work (well, not work I guess) that way, in fact, yours is the first I've heard of.

But whatever you do, don't buy an Oculus.  WAAAYYYY too much FB baggage.  First they require an account, and then they're gonna check your name and DOB against your ID, and then they're going to require monthly logins, then weekly, then multiple times a week.  Then X number of posts, or likes, or whatever.  They're FB, you know they'll do it.  Plus, they're trying (and unfortunately succeeding) to monopolize the VR market, and if they do, there won't be future HP competition.  Or anybody else.  Just Oculus.  And gawd forbid you anger a moderator at FB, all they have to do is find the smallest excuse to permaban you and poof...  your device is bricked.

So my recommendation is to just say no to Oculus.  Yeah, they make it tempting by subsidizing the price, that's the whole point.  But as soon as they have cornered the market, that will stop, and quickly.  Don't help them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Fielder said:

I envy you. I bought a Reverb G2, it's on its way back for a refund. It would not turn on, would not display anything. I got to Windows Mixed Reality or the Steam VR screen where it says to 'plug in your headset'. Which I did and nothing happened and the 'plug in your headset request did not go away. And nothing was seen in the display. Windows could not see any headset plugged in.

Maybe I had a bad headset (a lemon). But it would be risky for me to put up another $600 to try another one of those. I'll probably try a Facebook Oculus when they release the next model later this year to replace the Quest 2.

Were you using the USB port on your motherboard? I had to add a separate USB card to get my Reverb (G1) to work. Just a thought.

• Like 1

NAX669.png

All right thanks for the advice. I had purchased G2 thru eBay and eBay guarantee is why I was able to return it. Could not get thru to HP phone help. And it took 2 days for all responses from HP thru eBay messaging. When I contacted HP help thru eBay messaging they asked for a picture of every single item in the box before they would respond to my issues. Which took me an hour to do. Was not fun.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

3 minutes ago, mwilk said:

Were you using the USB port on your motherboard? I had to add a separate USB card to get my Reverb (G1) to work. Just a thought.

Yes I was using the USB port on back of the computer and there a couple more spares USB ports there too. My little case has 3 expansion slots and the MB and GPU take up 2 of those. The GPU is also blocking the 1 open slot. I don't seem to be able to fit another card onto the bottom Motherboard slot.

There is an unused 9 pin USB header socket on the motherboard that is easy to get to. I'm not sure if I can plug some sort of a USB cable in that 9 pin port and use that without mounting a PCI card.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

15 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

FS 2004?

LOL

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.