Sign in to follow this  
FlyingsCool

Stuttering in FSX

Guest RBridgers

I'm running FSX on a cheap laptop with a 1.6 GHz AMD Turion X2 and a Geforce Go 6150. I can get decent framerates (17-24 FPS) with high levels of traffic and autogen scenery, but it stutters about once a second. Even if I completely turn off autogen and traffic and make it look like FS2000, it still stutters. Using FSAutostart to disable the firewall, antivirus, and everything else has no effect on this. Trying different sets of Forceware drivers didn't help either. All of the tweaks I've tried (renaming default.xml, shader tweak, resized textures, FSX.CFG tweaks, etc.) also don't stop the stuttering.How do I fix this? Is this computer just too slow, or can I do something about this?

Guest Ron Freimuth

>I'm running FSX on a cheap laptop with a 1.6 GHz AMD Turion>X2 and a Geforce Go 6150. I can get decent framerates (17-24>FPS) with high levels of traffic and autogen scenery, but it>stutters about once a second. ..........>>How do I fix this? Is this computer just too slow, or can I do>something about this? Stuttering appears to be more a matter of RAM, rather than CPU speed. I increased my RAM from 512 MB to 1.5 GB and the stutters pretty much disappeared. Note pauses and a drop in frame rates over high density areas (and lots of clouds) is not a stutter. If your HD light blinks all the time when flying, more ram would probably help. My drive showed access every second or so until I added 1 GB of RAM. Now, the HD LED no longer blinks all the time and I don't have stutters. Ron

Yes, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND increasing your ram to 2 GB. You will not be disappointed. It may not completely remove your stutters as this is also related to your graphics card, but your machine will definitely feel more comfortable to use.I did this for both my own Dell D810 1.86 GHz Pentium M with 64 MB ATI X300 mobility graphics and on a $500 Compac VS6010 with the same graphics as you and it made a huge difference for running FSX.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Another cause of stutters is running too high a frame lock for the speed of your computer. I'd suggest, as Jim said, a frame lock of 20 if you want smoother flight.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest RBridgers

Locking the framerate at 20 didn't seem to do anything, and it runs the same whether I use FSAutostart or not. I'll try to get more RAM eventually.Thanks for your help.

Guest Redvan

RAM should do it. Judging by the way you make your laptop sound, you probably have shared RAM too (shared between system and graphics). I stutter with 1gig and dedicated 256mb GPU RAM... Gonna up it to 2gig asap (at $149 a gig it's not an easy up).