Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Question on add on airports

I see many freeware airports for MSFS 2020. I have my sim running very stable now and frankly I am hesitant on putting any airports in the community folder and winding up with problems. I am wondering what the experiences are of having airports in the community folder and if it has caused any problems for people that did this. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I only have a couple of airports in my comm’ folder, but no issues. I grabbed Milford Sound, and Land’s End, and am happy I did 🙂

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

17 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I see many freeware airports for MSFS 2020. I have my sim running very stable now and frankly I am hesitant on putting any airports in the community folder and winding up with problems. I am wondering what the experiences are of having airports in the community folder and if it has caused any problems for people that did this. 

I recommend using the Addons linker. It enables you to keep your addons separate from the community folder. You can then turn them on or off at will. If something is wrong, I can shut off addons until I find the offender. Much as I enjoy the vast array of freeware addons, there is a lot of inexperience there, so sometimes you get some strange things appearing in your scenery. On one occasion I had strange buildings appearing on the runway at Nassau. I started turning addons off one by one until I found it was caused by a particular airport addon 3500 miles away.

Lee

MSFS Addons Linker » Microsoft Flight Simulator

• Like 3

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

23 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have my sim running very stable now

Good to hear, what changed?

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Hi Bob.

From day one I remove any freewear/navigraph before an update.

From day one I have never removed any of my addon paywear addons and never had a probelm. Orbx gives you an option to have its own folder ( mine is name Orbx Files)and I do that.

Screenshot-1028

To add to this I have a folder with all free stuff I add it into the above and after the flight remove it. E.G if a do a flight from two freewear airport I add them (copy from a folder names com swop ) then after the flight delete them.

This imo is faster than opening a programe clicking away then closeing. Just two folders and I have shortcuts on my Desktop

Screenshot-1029.png

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

2 hours ago, Rimshot said:

Good to hear, what changed?

The latest hotfix and a file something about Nav. ( can't remember the name of it, Will fly for cheese told me about it), and I deleted it an started the sim and it redownloaded it. I think it was corrupt after the update. The other thing I did was set page file for virtual memory which he suggested for 16GB ram that I am using. The third thing is I stay away from flying in the UK, that seems to be the devil's triangle for me. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310