Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ron Freimuth

A321 and rudder control

Guest lilo

Mace,I cannot say for sure if the aircraft is really slipping. Some physical feedback would be nice. But I don't have a force feedback chair.Here are some more experiments. I further analysed the PFD gauge and found strange otation entries for the roll and the slip indicator. There are nonlinearity entries in them. They look like:... ... -60.00086.000,83.000... It puzzled me that the FloatPosition values differ between the slip indicator and the roll indicator whereas the attitude ball is rotated using just the sim variable(A:Attitude indicator bank degrees:1, radians)So I changed the rotation entries for the slip and the roll indicator and made them the same as the attitude ball:... NORTH-360.000360.000The only entry specifc for the slip indicator is the shift entry using the sim variable(A:Turn coordinator ball,position)I started FSX and the deviation in the slip indicator was gone. It showed slight changes when initiating a turn and then centered itself below the roll indicator once in a stable turn. That's what I wanted to see!Still the rudder didn't move. So I switched off SEC1 and turned the aircraft using the ailerons and the rudder. The turn went well, the slip indicator was perfect and from the outside I saw a well defined angle of the rudder. Looks very good.What's still irritating is that the slip indicator is almost centered even when I leave the rudder in neutral position. The slip is minimal. But may be that such a heavy doesn't need that much rudder control. It would correspond to a previous answer that the rudder is rarely used in real operations. And thats probably why MS developers decided to skip rudder control at all when autopilot is active.rgdslilo

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Paul Golding,>>the statement of mine about the nonsense was directed against>myself. Wasn't that clear? Sorry! I just waited for someone else to defend me. As it is, no defence was needed.>minimal slip, hardly to be seen, far better than in the A321. I>repeated this procedure with yaw damper on and off - both>times the same result.>>Looks like the slip is specific to the A321, isn't it?>lilo In moderate turns with no rudder or functioning YD I typically see 1 degree of Yaw; while the 'ball' may be half its width from the center. Cn_beta, 'Weathervane Stability' would affect the degree of such a Yaw/Slip. A large tail increases it. I have no idea how the real A321 flies with no YD. Generally, these large jets are quite similar in dynamics, but those designed for stability augmentation systems may be less stable with them not running. Some prop AC can be fitted with a YD; they must be marginal in Yaw stability without.Ron