Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

So Hard to Stay Positive

As much as possible, I've tried not to be too negative about MSFS.  But even I have to say: all the random pauses!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

I can agree with you. I followed the ideas posted in the performance fix post, haven’t seen anymore pauses and I am seeing overall performance improvements (until the next update), but haven’t flown much this week to fully test. 
But on the 172(non glass), I’m getting the black screens on startup on the garmin units..seems to show more consistently this week.

Always a see-saw, and seemingly no serious forward progress on fixing obvious bugs that keep appearing, reappearing in some cases.

So yes, hard to stay positive but I’ll keep trying. 

Cheers,

RB

8 minutes ago, KJANRBeard said:

I can agree with you. I followed the ideas posted in the performance fix post, haven’t seen anymore pauses and I am seeing overall performance improvements (until the next update), but haven’t flown much this week to fully test. 
But on the 172(non glass), I’m getting the black screens on startup on the garmin units..seems to show more consistently this week.

Always a see-saw, and seemingly no serious forward progress on fixing obvious bugs that keep appearing, reappearing in some cases.

So yes, hard to stay positive but I’ll keep trying. 

Cheers,

RB

Do you have any add ons in your community folder??   For me thats been the only reason for black screens and is solved by the add on developers in new releases.

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

4 minutes ago, hansb57 said:

Do you have any add ons in your community folder??   For me thats been the only reason for black screens and is solved by the add on developers in new releases.

Hi hansb57,

Yes, I do and oddly tonight, I started filtering thru them to see if that was the cause but haven’t gone thru all of them yet. 

Thanks for that...I will keep trying. 
Cheers,

RB

There's lots of reasons to be positive. 

Science has delivered efficacious vaccines against COVID-19

Soon, we will be able to visit friends and families again

Summer is on its way (northern hemisphere) 

• Like 13
  • Upvote 2

I'd like to understand better why or how people are getting random pauses. I have a fairly ropey old 2014 machine but I do not get random pauses (fingers crossed at the moment. When all is working well for me I only get the odd occasional minor stutter here and there. I also applied the MSFS vaccine reg. fix which helped CTDs, and fingers crossed all good at the moment (until WU4!). Any issues I've had have mostly been in my PC rather than MSFS.  Having said that MSFS is a 'word not allowed' for being massively over sensitive, unstable and unhelpful (no error messages) in certain quite unexpected situations - like no mods, new machines, clean installs etc. So whilst some might say oh it must be your machine not MSFS, I don't agree think it takes two or more to tango.  In software engineering they call this disgraceful degradation 🙂

I've really worked hard to optimise my PC to be at its best (graphics settings, vertical sync, capped fps in NI inspector etc) and I think it's fairly OK for now. But I have had head banging fps and performance problems aplenty since the last update - like many of us. The hotfix definitely helped but some regions are much better than  others - 13fps aloft in PNG for goodness sake! 

WT GPS units certainly suck frames like nothing else at the moment, but they're working on this, so hopefully they will improve. At the end of the day 90% of my issues were my either flaky out of date mods or my PC/graphics settings but not actually MSFS. I assumed so because even lowering my settings made little difference when this happened.

However, I am aware 'word not allowed' can happen anytime and to anyone, and although it must a real PIA (I would dread it) it would be really useful to understand what goes wrong in these cases, and how anyone resolved this, if at all.

Thanks

Ray

2 hours ago, rayharris108 said:

I'd like to understand better why or how people are getting random pauses. I have a fairly ropey old 2014 machine but I do not get random pauses (fingers crossed at the moment. When all is working well for me I only get the odd occasional minor stutter here and there. I also applied the MSFS vaccine reg. fix which helped CTDs, and fingers crossed all good at the moment (until WU4!). Any issues I've had have mostly been in my PC rather than MSFS.  Having said that MSFS is a 'word not allowed' for being massively over sensitive, unstable and unhelpful (no error messages) in certain quite unexpected situations - like no mods, new machines, clean installs etc. So whilst some might say oh it must be your machine not MSFS, I don't agree think it takes two or more to tango.  In software engineering they call this disgraceful degradation 🙂

I've really worked hard to optimise my PC to be at its best (graphics settings, vertical sync, capped fps in NI inspector etc) and I think it's fairly OK for now. But I have had head banging fps and performance problems aplenty since the last update - like many of us. The hotfix definitely helped but some regions are much better than  others - 13fps aloft in PNG for goodness sake! 

WT GPS units certainly suck frames like nothing else at the moment, but they're working on this, so hopefully they will improve. At the end of the day 90% of my issues were my either flaky out of date mods or my PC/graphics settings but not actually MSFS. I assumed so because even lowering my settings made little difference when this happened.

However, I am aware 'word not allowed' can happen anytime and to anyone, and although it must a real PIA (I would dread it) it would be really useful to understand what goes wrong in these cases, and how anyone resolved this, if at all.

Thanks

Ray

It's probably because they are running the sim on ultra or mods. I don't fly everyday because I have a full time job but when I do I never have any problems unless it's with a mod. Someone said in another thread that the G1000 is causing ctd, I've never experienced that with default G1000. 

2 nights ago I got a 10s pause because of the new wt g3000. I was just about to kill the sim when it came back. I've since removed those mods and no more pause. 

Some of these guys create their own problems and don't want to admit it 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

What bothers me the most is the combination of two things - terrible LOD distance and always unlimited visibility when using Live weather. Super bad combo. Oh, and not be able to properly use METARs. That is a huge Asobo fail for a flight simulator.

I don't get random pauses but I still get poor performance in some areas for no apparent reason - I mean, middle of Africa, no buildings, not much trees, no mountains, ... yet the performance still drops for up to 20 FPS. In P3D I always knew what ate 20 FPS. That's A LOT.

Other then that, I'm quite enjoying MSFS. There are great Garmin mods out there, improvement mods for default aircraft, some amazing freeware scenery, more advance aircraft are starting to come out. I do miss A2A GA airplanes and of course PMDG birds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

I don't get random pauses but I still get poor performance in some areas for no apparent reason - I mean, middle of Africa, no buildings, not much trees, no mountains, ... yet the performance still drops for up to 20 FPS. 

Try to disable elephants, they are heavy for the CPU.

• Like 3

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

3 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

Try to disable elephants, they are heavy for the CPU.

That would be "MENU.TRAFFIC_FAUNA"? Or something else?

I do have i9-10900k @ 5GHz and 2080Ti, so a few elephants shouldn't eat 20 FPS... even though they eat like... well... elephants.

• Like 1

Be careful, disabling elephants may affect your memory.

You know, because an elephant never forg...never mind.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

3 hours ago, devgrp said:

Some of these guys create their own problems and don't want to admit it 

True. But the only way to see if a mod or update actually works is to install and run it. I religiously (most of the time) write down any changes I make to the sim such as setting changes, new installs, etc making it easier find out why things went wrong.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

12 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

As much as possible, I've tried not to be too negative about MSFS.  But even I have to say: all the random pauses!

Do what I did when I was getting too frustrated about the current state of the sim as it was back in Sept/Oct of 2020... I walked away for 6 months. Never booted up the game even once until just about 10 days ago when I decided it was time to try and get caught up and reacquainted. I've discovered that not enough of the base issues were rectified, IMO. Some were, but alot of the really important issues still exist today.

My guess is that many of these issues will never be rectified, but some will, yet it'll be over a longer period of time than expected. Therefore MSFS is not my goto sim currently. I still have my old sim installed and I still use it when I want to be more serious about my flying.

To get passed the most frustrating parts we need to accept that, currently, you can still not have your cake and eat it too. Meaning that the game is very pretty, but in it's current state it is still less of a sim than some of us want or need. Having an alternative, albeit less pretty, can help you to more easily walk away when the mess gets out of hand.

In some ways playing MSFS can be very satisfying for me, in other ways it's the complete opposite. So...I'll likely end up playing for awhile, perhaps a month or 2 before I get too annoyed with it all. Then I'll simply walk away for another 6 months or a year before I come back and get reacquainted all over again. Right now, for me, this is what MSFS is.

Edited by hangar
  • Upvote 1

I have moved on currently delegated to another steam app that takes up space on my SSD's

The only reason I come here now is hoping, hoping something positive from Adobo.

I see nothing positive.

• Upvote 3

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2