Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

So Hard to Stay Positive

1 hour ago, marsman2020 said:

I did the community endurance race across Australia last weekend which required that we all empty our Community folders and I had 2 CTDs despite restarting the entire sim at every refuel stop to try and keep it stable.

In the SW121, which has the portrait mode version of the G3X (non-touch).

I was not boasting when I said I didn't suffer from CTD (just bringing bad luck over my head 😄). There are many users who have had none. it is a fact that should be considered too in the equation.

Many other users have some, some have many 😃.

My opinion is that most of the ones having many crashes have something wrong in their set up, soft- or hardware.

There is a bulimy of having the last avionics mod, the last scenery, the last livery, the last utility. Experience (FSX, P3D etc.) taught the old guard that addons/mods, specially freeware, can bring instability to a sim. Let me be clear about that. I do not want to discourage anybody to use mods or addons just to be aware that you use them at your own risk. 

Some hardware flaws can also be devastating. I had a problem like that, years ago, with a CH throttle having a loose wire. In MFS, my experience is that the sim is quite sensitive to USB connection manipulations during a session.

The users having only some crashes, from time to time, with a clean setup, seem indeed to suffer from the sim itself. The native scenery seems to have flawed spots all over the world for instance. Long haul can bring memory leaks etc. 

BTW what is the SW121 ? 

I am a little disappointed by some aspects of Asobo's baby but this CTD issue should be dispassionated.  

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

I tend to agree with you that many CTD seem induced by external factors to the sim itself (the packages out-of-date bug being put aside) : addons, hardware issues.

a few months ago i was getting random crashes just after take off from my local airport and sometimes after a few minutes in flight.  I agree, probably some of this CTD's had been game related also and many of those game bugs have been fixed (hopefully).

Edited by Isaiah53six

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

10 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Many other users have some, some have many 😃.

[...]

The users having only some crashes, from time to time, with a clean setup, seem indeed to suffer from the sim itself. The native scenery seems to have flawed spots all over the world for instance. Long haul can bring memory leaks etc. 

I agree on that, but I also believe that many people always fly in the same areas (home town & preferred good looking / vacation area). I also used to do that in the past.

Why do I believe that? Well, as of today after 8 months from release, Steam says that only 0.6% of the users have completed the Patagonia bush trip. Which is actually spectacular and stands out in a sim that has so little to do in terms of activities.

I can fly 95% of the time stutter and pause-free so I guess that if you only fly in problem free areas, you can have a flawless experience.

• Upvote 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5

59 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

I agree on that, but I also believe that many people always fly in the same areas (home town & preferred good looking / vacation area). I also used to do that in the past.

Why do I believe that? Well, as of today after 8 months from release, Steam says that only 0.6% of the users have completed the Patagonia bush trip. Which is actually spectacular and stands out in a sim that has so little to do in terms of activities.

I can fly 95% of the time stutter and pause-free so I guess that if you only fly in problem free areas, you can have a flawless experience.

I use to stay in my home area as well until I discovered Neofly.  For me it really has given the sim more purpose than before.

• Like 1

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

I almost never fly to the same airports over and over. I belong to a VA, that lets you fly anywhere in any aircraft. I fly from one airport to the next, to the next etc. Every day I am flying to a couple of airports I have never landed at. I find that same places like the UK lately, some places in Texas, etc. are problem areas for me. I have learned to avoid them and the CTDs have almost disappeared. My PC doesn't know where I am flying, but the game does. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

On 4/9/2021 at 4:05 AM, andyjohnston.net said:

As much as possible, I've tried not to be too negative about MSFS.  But even I have to say: all the random pauses!

I'd say negative attitude sticks to you cause deep down inside you're really positive!

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 4:20 PM, Maxis said:

Dead wrong assumption about the Vram. Not intending to be rude.. just kinda over the assumption that something is wrong with somebody's system syndrome.

There was no assumption, it was simply based off my experience going from 8 to 24 gigs of Vram. But its ok I get it. It's very frustrating when things are not working for what ever the reason. 

• Upvote 1

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

On 4/9/2021 at 9:30 AM, MrFuzzy said:

300 Mbit fiber and 24 GB VRAM here...

Total headroom for MSFS on my system: 

• 19 x i9 threads with an average occupation of 20%
  • About 48 GB of empty DDR4 RAM 
  • About 16 GB of empty VRAM
  • 290 Mbit of bandwidth (when it streams textures it takes about 10 Mbit for a few seconds and it's not on these occasions that it freezes)

Why is it so difficult to accept that the sim has optimization issues? 

Can you really fly in the socal area without stutters and pauses?

That's quite a system you have there. I agree, I believe they are working on more optimizing all the time. As for SoCal are you talking Ultra settings? I will give it a try and see how it does. There may be a few quick stutters as I get near LAX but pauses certainly not, I have not had a pauses since upgrading my Vram. 

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

2 hours ago, TurboKen said:

That's quite a system you have there. I agree, I believe they are working on more optimizing all the time. As for SoCal are you talking Ultra settings? I will give it a try and see how it does. There may be a few quick stutters as I get near LAX but pauses certainly not, I have not had a pauses since upgrading my Vram. 

Ultra but with LOD 100, since LOD 200 causes too much stuttering...

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5

On 4/10/2021 at 12:40 AM, Ricardo41 said:

I find it's hard NOT to stay positive;

1. Sim is out 8 months.
2. There is a giant eco system of freeware
3. Asobo is releasing updates on a regular basis
4. The sim runs well even on modest hardware

just to name a few points. 

I mean, is anyone complaining that their 8 month old daughter isn't running the Pentagon yet?

1. That’s quite a long time.

2. ...which often breaks the sim.

3 ...which usually make the sim worse.

4 ....lol, no it doesn’t - see the post earlier in thus thread recommending a $2000 graphics card with 24 gb of vram to stop the thing stuttering.

Personally, I quite like MSFS, but let’s throw a bit of realism into the mix here! 🙂

• Like 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

1. That’s quite a long time.

2. ...which often breaks the sim.

3 ...which usually make the sim worse.

4 ....lol, no it doesn’t - see the post earlier in thus thread recommending a $2000 graphics card with 24 gb of vram to stop the thing stuttering.

Personally, I quite like MSFS, but let’s throw a bit of realism into the mix here! 🙂

1.  What, compared to P3D in 11 years after initial release? :laugh:

2.  Really, what percentage of add-ons 'break the sim'? 

3.  The 'sim' is comprised of the totality of all its features, and regularly added large significant scenery improvements in world updates that are delivered free of charge, addressing a multitude of issues for example mesh spikes, graphic artifacts in clouds, adding new features to various aircraft, and of course there have been hiccoughs along the way and likely will be going forward, and also likely over time we will see less and less hiccoughs.

4.  ROFLOL, my lowly 2070 Super delivers sterling smooth performance w/ its meager 8gb of VRAM, at stock clock speed.  I'm using LOD 200/200, Ultra everything except must downturn volumetric clouds to High when in complex weather, and also use a few shadow and reflection sliders on High, AF 16x, 8xSSAA always.  The planet's most complex areas Flying in London area which I had not done had me turning down most settings to High, however retained 16x AF and 8xSSAA and LOD 200/200.  Of course, you should have known this in spades if you really used MSFS as your GPU is considerably stronger than is mine.

"I quite like MSFS" said the P3D v5.x sales rep, as if to appear balanced and unbiased :dry:.

• Like 4

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Noel said:

addressing a multitude of issues for example mesh spikes, graphic artifacts in clouds

Ah yes, they addressed the issues that they created in prior updates in the updates... Great job Asobo.

Reminds of some coworkers I have had who make a bunch of dumb decisions, create a giant problem, solve the problem, and get all kinds of accolades because people somehow forgot that the problem was their creation in the first place...

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

5 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

let’s throw a bit of realism into the mix here! 🙂

Indeed, so lets have some 

Some freeware may break the sim, as some did in FSX and P3D. It is the natural way of things compounded these days by the boom of freeware and of new simmers . Nothing new under the sun.

The sim runs well at high or ultra settings on my 4770+1080@2560x1440 combo outside of dense PG area. As is, it is way better optimized than my P3Dv3 was for the same level of goodies. I do not even dream of running v5 on my rig at the higher settings. I’ve read many simmers in the same range of hardware having the same experience. 

MFS has enough issues, no need to invent new.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On 4/12/2021 at 2:33 PM, MrFuzzy said:

Ultra but with LOD 100, since LOD 200 causes too much stuttering...

OK So I performed a flight from Big Bear to LAX around 80 miles or so. Everything on Ultra, it looked quite amazing, there was a ton of air traffic last night during the flight. I am on the same time zone as LAX just one state above it. So how did it perform. Starting out I first tried LOD @ 200 just because that's my normal setting. I left Big Bear around 45FPS very smooth all the way to LAX, however I did notice some stutters on final about 10 miles out. The most of a slowdown I have seen since upgrading to my 3090. It did smooth out after this and I was getting around 25-30 FPS upon landing at LAX which was good enough for a nice landing.

NEXT I decided to try LOD @ 100.  This time I had no stutters at all nice and smooth all the way in too LAX, with a slight increase to the FPS. I'm not sure if this was due to having the scenery now loading on the hard drive or due to the decrease in LOD or maybe a little of both. Maybe I should go back and test the same flight after a restart, but for what ever its worth these were the results. I should also mention this flight was done in the TBM.

It's the LOD. It weighs on the main thread just like all the rest of the sim, so you can have an RTX 3090 at 1920x1080 and you will experience stutters anyway.

With LOD 100 it's much smoother, obviously the compromise is flat terrain with no 3D objects in the distance.