Sign in to follow this  

Alright guys,

Got a GTX 1060 6gb installed atm, might switch to a used GTX 1080 8gb, would I see like 10-15fps increase?

I plan to leave settings the same.

CPU: i5 8600k 5ghz, delided, water cooled

RAM: 16GB DDR4 (8x2)

Storage: p3d V4.5 on my HHD, really cba to put it on a ssd, hardly do alot of simming nowdays anyway, got fed up with low fps and poor graphics, cba to install everything on v5/get xp12/mfs2020.

Running at 60Hz on a 1080p monitor. Hate locking it at 30, looks all werid and not crisp.

Any input would be appreciated. Cheers ols.

Edited by ols500

i5 8600K  @4.5Ghz 16GB RAM GTX1060 

If its not going to cost you and arm and a leg, I would do the upgrade to 1080.

Cant say for sure what the resulting increase of FPS will be exactly at the same settings but you could probably get another 8-10FPS out of the switch I would imagine. A few people here have had good experiences with the 1080 series.

My rough guide to upgrading is in reference to Tom's GPU benchmarks for cards.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

If I look at the relative computing power of the 1060 you have which is rated at 26.5% in the list from Tom's H vs the 1080 rated in comparative terms at 45.2%, I usually consider any GPU upgrade worth doing if that delta is more than 20%. Anything less than that and its really not worth the hassle upgrading to a lesser card on that list IMHO.

This is just my personal approach to gauging whether a specific GPU upgrade is even worth considering for flightsimming.

Regards
Mark

• Like 1

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Cheers Mark, I should be able to get one from ebay for a decent price. 8-10 fps would be worth it, especially in those low fps situations.

As someone who decided to stick with the 1060 for now, my reasons are as follows:

1. At 1920 res, all sims perform well

2. FS2020, in particular, can be set to ultra and still run at appx 30 fps ( I've got a 10600k)

3. The cost of graphic cards is crazy. I don't want to spend my money on super inflated cards

4. The dust on sim performance has not settled, so patience is wisdom.

5. graphic card memory is very important, so I am waiting for cheap 12 gig cards at a minimum

All of this is not important if you like to spend money because you have it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ols500 said:

Hate locking it at 30, looks all werid and not crisp

Out of curiosity - what frame locking has to crispiness ?

Artur 

On 4/9/2021 at 4:56 PM, Beardyman said:

Out of curiosity - what frame locking has to crispiness ?

At 30 it makes the plane look blurry when panning, really don't like it personally.

I was thinking of selling my msi lightning z 1080ti for a 3080 or 3070 oc is it worth it?

thanks

mike

On 4/19/2021 at 5:47 AM, mikeymike said:

I was thinking of selling my msi lightning z 1080ti for a 3080 or 3070 oc is it worth it?

thanks

mike

No, IMHO..

• Like 1

Bert

On 4/19/2021 at 9:47 AM, mikeymike said:

DO NOT DO IT! Buy the new one first!

Look those sad people:

• Like 1