Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Would you spend €2000 on a motherboard?

Not a chance.  I won't entertain anything over £130 or so.

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Well, my Maximus XIi Hero was certainly more than 130 quid. Depends if you can afford it at the end of the day and if it has the features you want.

I went for a cheap Asus Prime board some time ago and regretted it. Quality wasn't what I'd hoped for.

But yes, 2000 euro for a board is bonkers.

My last 3 boards have been an MSI Z390 Pro A, MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, and now an MSI B550m Pro VDH Wifi and have all been excellent

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

I think this MB is reserved for those types that purchased the solid gold iPhone from years ago.

P.T. Barnum's famous quote regarding suckers and them being born every minute would seem to apply here.....

• Like 1

Kris Hague
simmer since SubLogic days...

4 hours ago, Charlatan said:

My last 3 boards have been an MSI Z390 Pro A, MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, and now an MSI B550m Pro VDH Wifi and have all been excellent

Yeah, Asus Prime boards might be better now, I'm not sure. But the one I had, had a super thin PCB and the USB header was so weak and puny that one of the pins snapped off. Wasn't that impressed really. And I hate those super thin metal IO Shields. Much prefer the built into the motherboard versions. 

Some may do to go with the 2500 GPU.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

19 hours ago, martin-w said:

Yeah, Asus Prime boards might be better now, I'm not sure. But the one I had, had a super thin PCB and the USB header was so weak and puny that one of the pins snapped off. Wasn't that impressed really. And I hate those super thin metal IO Shields. Much prefer the built into the motherboard versions. 

They're not - trust me, I had a z390 Prime P with my 8700k which I swapped for the Z390 Pro A above 😁

UKV6427

3 hours ago, Charlatan said:

They're not - trust me, I had a z390 Prime P with my 8700k which I swapped for the Z390 Pro A above 😁

Yeah, I got the impression with mine that it was a board I needed to treat very carefully. I inserted a USB cable into the header and encountered slight resistance, gave it a bit or pressure and no dice. Looked inside the header and the pin was bent. Tried to gently straighten it and it snapped off as if it were brittle. 

I don't think I was particularly forceful, just put it down to a low quality header. Maybe all USB headers are like that, who knows, but never had that issue before.

Have to say, the more expensive Asus boards I have no issue with. My XII Hero is very well manufactured. Great board.