Sign in to follow this  
Silicus

Update opt-in opt-out

Flight simming since the 1980s. Not a casual simmer, but rather hardcore. Building a home cockpit as of writing (A320).

Asobo/MS can we please, please NOT be forced to update when YOU choose, rather when WE, your customers chooses!??

Every update since release broke things. The only improvements are some eye candies, i.e. 'World updates', which are great in general, but not if other qualities of the sim decrease!

I know that having different versions amongst the users can create support nightmare, just do not offer support for people, that do not have the latest version.

The majority of software these days, from Apple iOS to Windows 10, or the apps on my iPad/phone/PC/X-Plane give you a choice, when to update, so this suggestion is in no way a out-of-the-box thinking.

The user experience should be your priority, do not force things down our throats that are not well tested and solid.

By the way, I am a fan, a huge fan! You build a tremendous, next generation sim and growing pains are expected.

But I am dreading the next update.

My 2 cents Canadian. 

Edited by Silicus

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

1 hour ago, Silicus said:

Asobo/MS can we please, please NOT be forced to update when YOU choose, rather when WE, your customers chooses!??

Post at the official forums, maybe??

• Like 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

the only reason to wait with an update is so in case there are problems others can have them and I can wait for a fix. 

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

I think they should do public betas like SCS do with their truck sims.  People can opt in or not and after they are fairly sure they have the bugs worked out THEN they can force it on people.

Its entirely possible to simply not fly after an update until you check for horror stories online but thats not much of an answer 🙂 

Edited by sightseer

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

1 hour ago, Silicus said:

Flight simming since the 80th...

Sorry just curious, the 80th what?

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

5 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

Sorry just curious, the 80th what?

speller, fixed, thanks.

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

I think this topic may have been discussed previously in a different context. For better and for worse, MSFS is not a standalone flight sim, that resides on everyone's individual desktop/laptop home computer. Rather, its architecture involves close-coupled synchronization between local resources and cloud-based data processing. This, in turn, requires that the desktop versions comport to what has been deployed on the cloud servers all over the world.

In principle, at least, it might be possible to maintain multiple version sets simultaneously, but given the experience so far, it seems that it's hard enough for Asobo and Microsoft to synchronize this complex architecture for the current version alone. It would be asking a lot to now ask them to maintain and deploy multiple versions simultaneously. For those of us who want to maintain control over our flight sim desktop versions, there are excellent products already available. MSOBO are clearly trying something very different, and to some extent, they are succeeding. Good luck to them in moving the state of the art forward.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

22 hours ago, Silicus said:

Flight simming since the 1980s. Not a casual simmer, but rather hardcore. Building a home cockpit as of writing (A320).

Every update since release broke things. The only improvements are some eye candies, i.e. 'World updates', which are great in general, but not if other qualities of the sim decrease!

I know that having different versions amongst the users can create support nightmare, just do not offer support for people, that do not have the latest version.

The majority of software these days, from Apple iOS to Windows 10, or the apps on my iPad/phone/PC/X-Plane give you a choice, when to update, so this suggestion is in no way a out-of-the-box thinking.

The user experience should be your priority, do not force things down our throats that are not well tested and solid.

By the way, I am a fan, a huge fan! You build a tremendous, next generation sim and growing pains are expected.

But I am dreading the next update.

My 2 cents Canadian. 

You can always continue to fly with xp or p3d until you think it's safe. Good luck 

• Like 1