Sign in to follow this  
orchestra_nl

from CTD to worse

This is so frustrating. Here I am on a 200-mi flight (VFR, GA), following the section and playing by the rules (avoid MOA, request proper airspace transitions, change altitude to avoid controlled airspace, etc.), and then right after I contact the destination airport to request full stop landing (about 15 miles out), I get a CTD. The whole idea was to "simulate" a real flight (not to play a game), but the most fun part (approach and landing) just don't happen. Oh well...

Bad, bad things happen on MSFS on the landing phase

🧙‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emerson67 said:

Bad, bad things happen on MSFS on the landing phase

🧙‍♂️

Today I was in the middle of a flare with the Arrow 3 , just about to touch down and "CTD">

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I just started a test flight, with just the yoke, keyboard and mouse.
I'll be a few hours before I finish the flight, unless it CTD's again.

Before tstasrting the flight, I tried going into the controller settings since the sim CTD'd immediately with all controllers connected. This time, it did not.
However, when assigning a new function to a button on the yoke I got a "you are trying to assign an action to a device that is not selected" error, even when the yoke was clearly selected. It was the same with the keyboard. picking one from the list of buttons worked though.

• Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Well, it took a long time to finish the flight, which is good news since I actually managed to finish it.

The Fulcrum yoke at least does not seem to be the cause of the CTD's. I did not expect it to be, but that was part of my blind spot. I did not consider either my Fulcrum yoke or my MFG pedals could be the cause since these were both new devices.

After the flight I replugged the other controllers on by one, entering the controller setup each time to force loading the settings. After I had connected my MFG pedals, MSFS did a CTD the moment I entered controller setup.

That doesn't prove these pedals are faulty, but it is likely. A combination of these pedals with other devices might be the cause. MSFS is quirky so I have some more testing to do to rule out a combination and doublecheck things.

Luckily I still have my old CH pedals, so I can add these to the mix as well.

Thanks sofar for your ideas and suggestions, and especially Will Fly For Cheese for suggesting to test a single device.

Edited by orchestra_nl

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

29 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

Well, it took a long time to finish the flight, which is good news since I actually managed to finish it.

The Fulcrum yoke at least does not seem to be the cause of the CTD's. I did not expect it to be, but that was part of my blind spot. I did not consider either my Fulcrum yoke or my MFG pedals could be the cause since these were both new devices.

After the flight I replugged the other controllers on by one, entering the controller setup each time to force loading the settings. After I had connected my MFG pedals, MSFS did a CTD the moment I entered controller setup.

That doesn't prove these pedals are faulty, but it is likely. A combination of these pedals with other devices might be the cause. MSFS is quirky so I have some more testing to do to rule out a combination and doublecheck things.

Luckily I still have my old CH pedals, so I can add these to the mix as well.

Thanks sofar for your ideas and suggestions, and especially Will Fly For Cheese for suggesting to test a single device.

What are you Realism settings?

Not sure if this helps, but.. 

I too was having CTD's similar to yours, when i disconnected my Saitek pro rudders all went back to normal.

Now using my old TRC Rudder Pedals.

Not sure of the exact root problem, but haven't had any more CTD's since.

Edited by christb
  • Like 1

Win 11 pro 64Bit, X670 AORUS ELITE AX, Ryzen 9 7900x, RTX 4080, 64Gig GSkill 6000 DDR 5, Samaung Evo 4TB SSD.

Not sure, but it seemed that it maybe USB or driver Issues.

Win 11 pro 64Bit, X670 AORUS ELITE AX, Ryzen 9 7900x, RTX 4080, 64Gig GSkill 6000 DDR 5, Samaung Evo 4TB SSD.

3 hours ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

What are you Realism settings?

If you mean the Flight Model, that is set to Modern (off course). Under Assistance->Piloting I had set everything to Off, but have switched auto-rudder on takeoff On since my rudders are now disconnected.

1 hour ago, christb said:

Not sure if this helps, but.. 

I too was having CTD's similar to yours, when i disconnected my Saitek pro rudders all went back to normal.

Now using my old TRC Rudder Pedals.

Not sure of the exact root problem, but haven't had any more CTD's since.

MSFS is finicky when it comes to (USB) controllers. My USB chipset drivers are up to date, but there is still a known USB-related bug that AMD has yet to fix.

Another cause for controller issues is corrupt cloud data. Unfortunately, Asobo has forgotten to include a simple "delete" option for this so it is impossible to start from scratch without tweaking and moving around files.

Flightsim rig:

Yep, that's what I meant. Ok. That sounds good with everything to OFF. I saw a report that your MFG pedals could be affected by those settings - though how, I don't know but Hey! this is MSFS2020 - weird stuff happens.

Did you update the firmware on the MFG's ?

https://mfg-sim.com/en/content/7-downloads

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese

56 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Yep, that's what I meant. Ok. That sounds good with everything to OFF. I saw a report that your MFG pedals could be affected by those settings - though how, I don't know but Hey! this is MSFS2020 - weird stuff happens.

Did you update the firmware on the MFG's ?

https://mfg-sim.com/en/content/7-downloads

Thanks for the link. I am quite sure I checked the firmware when I first installed the pedals in August but I'll have to confirm that later, right now I am doing the same test route but now with yoke and quadrant.
If the pedals are faulty, they are still under warranty, but he also sells the USB controller as a spare part.

Flightsim rig:

MSFS just hung (Not CTD!) with yoke and Quadrant. I started to record the location of these crashes in LNM, and 4 out of 9 are within 0.1 NM from each other.
That location is near about 5nm ENE of W78 (Tuck airfield). Could be another no-fly zone. It's a class E airspace.

• Like 1

Flightsim rig:

An update of my experience after some more testing:

The problem is definitely related to rudder pedals, but not any specific hardware:

With either my MFG Crosswind pedals or my old CH Pro USB pedals, the sim hangs (before the package out of date thing, it CTD'd, now it hangs)😕
Without any pedals connected, there is no issue whatsoever.

I got the package out of date warning which gave me the idea of deleting my cloud profile and start fresh. It hasn't solved the issue but instead of CTD MSFS now hangs.
Interestingly, half of my CTD's were in the same location, and these hangs are as well. Without pedals, I fly past these locations without issue.

Replacing the USB cables or using another USB port doesn't change anything. Any further testing will have to wait until the MS servers are functioning again, but I keep getting these "packages out of date" messages at the moment.

Flightsim rig:

Do you have an powered USB hub ?

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

13 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

An update of my experience after some more testing:

The problem is definitely related to rudder pedals, but not any specific hardware:

With either my MFG Crosswind pedals or my old CH Pro USB pedals, the sim hangs (before the package out of date thing, it CTD'd, now it hangs)😕
Without any pedals connected, there is no issue whatsoever.

I got the package out of date warning which gave me the idea of deleting my cloud profile and start fresh. It hasn't solved the issue but instead of CTD MSFS now hangs.
Interestingly, half of my CTD's were in the same location, and these hangs are as well. Without pedals, I fly past these locations without issue.

Replacing the USB cables or using another USB port doesn't change anything. Any further testing will have to wait until the MS servers are functioning again, but I keep getting these "packages out of date" messages at the moment.

If you tried the fix I posted the other day, you shouldn't be getting  that Packages Message anymore.  ?????

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310