Sign in to follow this  
737_800

MSFS Boxed Version

Hi,

it is possible to use the function to download MSFS from microsoft directly if you have a boxed version of msfs? So could you use your key for the boxed version to create a online account and be able to download the core sim instead of using the dvd's?

Hello,

Others will confirm : you have to install the core program and then update it. I have not heard anything about an updated version ready for download.
You are right : so much time would be saved

I bought the premium deluxe boxed version and can confirm that the initial install of MSFS is with the 10 dvd's. After that all the updates/re-installs are online. It is true that it is time consuming to install the 10 dvd's, but my broadband here is quite slow. Since then I had a problem with MSFS and had to re-install everything. It took a day and part of the night!

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

1 1/2 days, then I think I am faster with the online download. Still would be nice to have the option to download everything online eventhough one might have the boxed version.

PS: What is the best way to download the core sim online and back it up in a way to you have always the stable fresh core sim available in case something gets broke and you have to reinstall. I think it's smart to have a backup instead of downloading everything again. What's the best solution for that?

Edited by 737_800

I got the boxed version too, it took many hours to install the sim and other 12 or so hours for the first update. Now I've done an image of the disks on a USB key, but never tried if it works. Hope so for an eventual faster reinstallation in the future.

I bought the box version but as several discs were damaged and would not install. I used the included card with a key to download the entire sim from Microsoft site from scratch, you don't need to install the DVD version first (in my case it would have been impossible). No problem with that.

• Like 1

With the download key (included with the box version) you can download direct from the MS Store.

I saved some of the files on CD 1 onto a ROM and mounted into a virtual drive so no CD is required for subsequent MSFS start-up.

• Like 2

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

On 4/15/2021 at 5:49 AM, OmniAtlas said:

With the download key (included with the box version) you can download direct from the MS Store.

I saved some of the files on CD 1 onto a ROM and mounted into a virtual drive so no CD is required for subsequent MSFS start-up.

Do you have still to mount stuff when you download everything via the MS Store (thought the download key that is included)?

• Upvote 1

On 4/15/2021 at 5:49 AM, OmniAtlas said:

Do you have still to mount disk 1 while you download it via the Microsoft Store ?

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Airbus320Cy said:

Do you have still to mount disk 1 while you download it via the Microsoft Store ?

Thank you!

Yeah, I have ask aerosoft back then, when I remember correctly they said it's still requiered to use disk one for verfication. Stupid but real.