Sign in to follow this  
Tom_L

Are payware scenery developers too complacent?

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

No offense, but this is exactly what I mean by "gaslighting" - defined by Wikipedia as  "a form of psychological manipulation in which a person or a group covertly sows seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or group, making them question their own memory, perception, or judgment."

No offense taken.  I'm aware how you feel, but you are refusing to listen to what I'm telling you or take my reccomendation to get more informed and learn more about our hobby.  I'm trying to help you understand, and you just want to stick with your present knowledge instead of expanding it.  As such, any furhter discussion is rather pointless.  It's your call brother.   By the way, don't use Wiki for definitions, goodness!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

12 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

But i think you’re doing the opposite of what op is saying - praising a company when it’s not necessarily merited, rather than demanding that payware devs deliver decent quality.

I personally don’t think that Aerosoft is a terrific company - too many mediocre products with a substandard commitment to quality. PMDG, who you mention, are what i would call a terrific company because - despite their faults - they are perfectionists. Btw, the NGX was pretty good on day 1, that day was a 24 hour NGX session and one of my favorite flight sim memories!

The OP’s contention is solid. Too many devs are releasing products in haste for MSFS because consumers are not demanding enough from them. Hence the massive amount of payware available.

We should be praising devs when they put in the serious work required to deliver a top-tier product. We should support those that have deserved it with our money.Think Flytampa or Flightbeam for FSX/P3D - devs where pretty much anything they make is a worthwhile purchase.

Conversely, if a product is a lazy cash grab, as a community we should call it out as such. If it’s payware, it’s certainly not too much to ask that it perform better than a freeware alternative.

Respectfully, one should always strive to take things in context, otherwise things become a free for all and nothing gets accomplished. 

If you would, please go back and read what I replied to the OP (which you responded to from a post that was not intended for the OP, but for Ricardo). I'm sure it was unintended, but you mixed those two things up.

Best wishes.

Edited by DaveCT2003

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

On 4/12/2021 at 3:24 AM, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

A good example is the MSFS thread on the jabiru where the developer apologised for not being available in the past week as his wife was in hospital and the immediate response was a long rant from someone stating they had no interest in his personal life and it was irrelevant, all they mattered was the fact they had not got THEIR update yet (the update in question was delayed on the marketplace because Microsoft suddenly changed the rules for thumbnails and the ones on the current download were no longer acceptable).

The Dev for the Jabiru had already made another excuse weeks before that about why his product was late to the MS store only. Then he comes (still late) about some sob story, and then another excuse. I think it has now been over a month that the update has not reached the Marketplace, while he made sure that his direct store had the update.

30 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

The Dev for the Jabiru had already made another excuse weeks before that about why his product was late to the MS store only. Then he comes (still late) about some sob story, and then another excuse. I think it has now been over a month that the update has not reached the Marketplace, while he made sure that his direct store had the update.

To be perfectly honest if it was me I would be totally refusing to post any sort of explanations on the Official Forums as the response whenever any developer tries to explain what is going on (whether it is the SDK or marketplace issues or whatever) is just entitled and demanding and generally toxic.  If i was insane enough to be developing for this super demanding community I would just roll the patches out there, not announce them and have absolutely zero to do with the demanding entitled people on those forums. 

The Iris guy has been producing a patch a month for the last 4 months while a lot of other marketplace aircraft are still broken with at most one patch if any, but because he tries to do the right thing and communicate with the users you just got ridiculous rants.  If he had any sense he would just close down that thread and block the  idiots.

• Upvote 1

As long as customers continue to salivate because someone modeled the men's restroom  in Hangar 5, there is no reason for scenery developers to raise standards. 

On 4/11/2021 at 5:26 PM, Tom_L said:

Yes, I know - too global - but: I recently installed LSZS from Orbx and ENAT from Aerosoft. Both are predetermined destinations for winter operation, and yet the airport surfaces are mostly covered in snow. I know for sure that the airport operators will take any effort to clear at least the runways asap, so having everything covered in white is highly unrealistic. There are limitations in MSFS when it comes to snow coverage of surfaces, but it can be done, as I realized too late there's a freeware scenery for LSZS where the developer managed to implement realistic, mostly cleared surfaces.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/206751-lszs-snow-on-runway/