Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

Milviz Weather Advantage Radar stopped working

The Milviz Advantage Radar was working fine in Falcon 2.0b but for some reason it's now just a static image on the front panel.  None of the buttons on it work. One the other hand, the two RXP GTN units installed using Flysimware's Falcon 50 Management Tool in the plane works.

I un-installed Falcon 50, deleted the folder, re-booted the pc, re-installed Falcon, ran P3Dv4 once, and re-installed the panel with the two RXP GTN units using the management tool per instructions. The radar is supposed to automatically come alive but it's dead and it doesn't look like the panel with the radar is installed. I searched the forum for solutions before posting this issue.

Please help. Thanks.

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

19 minutes ago, oneleg said:

it doesn't look like the panel with the radar is installed.

If I understand what happened, all was working fine in the Falcon and all of a sudden the WX radar would not work -- it just stays dark and none of the knobs move. So I have to wonder what changed? For example, did you add any third party software, or make some kind of a hardware change?

Since the GTN750s work, I assume the plane is powered up correctly, although it is always good to click on Ready to Start on the Hanger popup (Shift+1).

The other thing I would do is delete any saved flights, and use the default F-35 as your default flight so it initially loads into the spinning a/c selection window. Then select the Falcon. Starting with the default F-35 seems to help initialize the sim variables before a complex a/c like the Falcon is loaded.

Al

Edited by ark

42 minutes ago, ark said:

If I understand what happened, all was working fine in the Falcon and all of a sudden the WX radar would not work -- it just stays dark and none of the knobs move. So I have to wonder what changed? For example, did you add any third party software, or make some kind of a hardware change?

Since the GTN750s work, I assume the plane is powered up correctly, although it is always good to click on Ready to Start on the Hanger popup (Shift+1).

The other thing I would do is delete any saved flights, and use the default F-35 as your default flight so it initially loads into the spinning a/c selection window. Then select the Falcon. Starting with the default F-35 seems to help initialize the sim variables before a complex a/c like the Falcon is loaded.

Al

No hardware changes. 

But, additional 3rd party addons were installed: a couple of Carenado biz jets (Phenoms, TBM, Citation XL560, etc) and FSDreamTeams's XPOI (since uninstalled). I had a failed install of GSX (no idea why) purchased sometime ago. Also installed a bunch of Orbx sceneries also purchased some time ago.

I just checked again. Launched P3D with default Maule as the default aircraft, loaded Falcon 50, selected cold and dark, and then 'Ready to Start'. The GTNs worked but no change on the wx. The wx is just a static display. Still not working.

I'm going to relaunch P3D and load the F-35 and Falcon 50 but I doubt loading the F-35 will make a difference from loading the default Maule.

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

7 minutes ago, oneleg said:

I'm going to relaunch P3D and load the F-35 and Falcon 50 but I doubt loading the F-35 will make a difference from loading the default Maule.

You should have a MV_WX.dll file in the P3Dv4.5 gauges folder, which I would expect you have if the WX radar is working in other P3Dv4.5 aircraft. 

And if you are comfortable with opening the Falcon's panel.cfg file (which is in the Falcon's Panel folder) with a text editor like Notepad or Notepad++, then at the top of the file under [Window Titles] you should have a entry something like this: Window05 = WX Advantage Radar.  Then down in the panel.cfg file you should have something similar to this:

[Window05]
ident = 71
visible = 0
sizeable = 1
size_mm = 419,381
position = 0
window_size = 0.343511450381679,0.556719107690809
window_pos = 0,0
gauge00 = MV_WX!WX2D,0,0,419,381,1
gauge01 = MV_WX!WX,64,121,291,205,1
gauge02 = CONTROL_PANEL!clipboard RADAR,  9,81,400,300

While in this example the WX radar is setup in Window 5, if could be a different window on your setup.

Then even further down in the panel.cfg file you should see another entry similar to this for the VC:

[Vcockpit30]
Background_color = 0,0,0
size_mm=512,512
visible=0
pixel_size=512,512
texture=$MV_WXM
gauge00=MV_WX!WX,  0,0,512,361
gauge01 = CONTROL_PANEL!clipboard RADAR,  0,0,512,361

Al

Edited by ark

I'll check for the mv_wx.dll. Yes, I'm familiar with the panel.cfg and I'll check and I'll report back.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

32 minutes ago, ark said:

You should have a MV_WX.dll file in the P3Dv4.5 gauges folder, which I would expect you have if the WX radar is working in other P3Dv4.5 aircraft. 

And if you are comfortable with opening the Falcon's panel.cfg file (which is in the Falcon's Panel folder) with a text editor like Notepad or Notepad++, then at the top of the file under [Window Titles] you should have a entry something like this: Window05 = WX Advantage Radar.  Then down in the panel.cfg file you should have something similar to this:

[Window05]
ident = 71
visible = 0
sizeable = 1
size_mm = 419,381
position = 0
window_pos = 0,0
gauge02 = CONTROL_PANEL!clipboard RADAR,  9,81,400,300

While in this example the WX radar is setup in Window 5, if could be a different window on your setup.

Then even further down in the panel.cfg file you should see another entry similar to this for the VC:

[Vcockpit30]
Background_color = 0,0,0
size_mm=512,512
visible=0
pixel_size=512,512
texture=$MV_WXM
gauge00=MV_WX!WX,  0,0,512,361
gauge01 = CONTROL_PANEL!clipboard RADAR,  0,0,512,361

Al

This is really interesting. I checked my panel.cfg and that's ok. It has all the correct entries for the radar.

What is odd is that MV_WX.DLL is missing from the gauges folder. However, it exists in these folders:

F:\P3D\SimObjects\Airplanes\MV_PC-6_Base\panel\MV_WX.dll -->(date is 6/3/2019)
F:\P3D\SimObjects\Airplanes\MV_C310R\panel -->(date is 5/31/2019)

The file size of both is 3.52 MB. Should I just move one of them in the main gauges folder?  Which one? Or, does Flysimware has its own version of MV_WX.dll? Odder still is why the radar worked at all when the Falcon 50 was initially installed.
---
Addendum: I went ahead and copied the MV_WX.DLL dated 6/3/2019 to the main P3D gauges folder and loaded Falcon 50. I received an error message: "This WX is locked: f:\p3d\simobjects\airplanes\flysim falcon50\falcon50.air"

Edited by oneleg
Added an addendum.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

2 hours ago, oneleg said:

Addendum: I went ahead and copied the MV_WX.DLL dated 6/3/2019 to the main P3D gauges folder and loaded Falcon 50. I received an error message: "This WX is locked: f:\p3d\simobjects\airplanes\flysim falcon50\falcon50.air"

When the MV_WX.dll is in an aircraft folder, it will only "apply" to that aircraft. When it is in the P3D gauges folder, it should apply to all the aircraft (assuming a version of the dll is not also in an aircraft folder). My 'understanding' is the sim first looks in the aircraft folder, and if not there, then looks in the gauges folder.

If the WX radar is working in the Lear in P3Dv4.5, where is the MV_WX.dll that it is using?

I don't understand the error message, but I would restart the sim after moving a copy of the MV_WX.dll to the gauges folder. And if you can find the MV_WX.dll that the Lear is using, that is one I'd use.

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ark said:

When the MV_WX.dll is in an aircraft folder, it will only "apply" to that aircraft. When it is in the P3D gauges folder, it should apply to all the aircraft (assuming a version of the dll is not also in an aircraft folder). My 'understanding' is the sim first looks in the aircraft folder, and if not there, then looks in the gauges folder.

If the WX radar is working in the Lear in P3Dv4.5, where is the MV_WX.dll that it is using?

I don't understand the error message, but I would restart the sim after moving a copy of the MV_WX.dll to the gauges folder. And if you can find the MV_WX.dll that the Lear is using, that is one I'd use.

Al

The problem is solved by re-installing the Weather Advantage program. For what it is worth the dll, now in the gauges folder, has a later date than the two files for the Milviz planes.

Thank you for the tip about the MV_WX.DLL file.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

19 minutes ago, oneleg said:

The problem is solved by re-installing the Weather Advantage program.

Great, glad to hear you got things working. I still wonder why the wx radar was working in the Lear without the MV_WX.DLL in the gauges folder.  Guess that will remain a mystery unless there was a MV_WX.DLL in the Lear's folder.  🙂

Al

Edited by ark

22 minutes ago, ark said:

Great, glad to hear you got things working. I still wonder why the wx radar was working in the Lear without the MV_WX.DLL in the gauges folder.  Guess that will remain a mystery unless there was a MV_WX.DLL in the Lear's folder.  🙂

Al

I don't remember if I mentioned that it worked in the Lear but it did work in the Milviz (the C310 Redux and the PC-6 Porter) planes. The important thing is that the radar now works in the Falcon and the Lear. Thank you again.

• Upvote 1

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Hi @arkRather than opening a new subject, this one is identical to above. 

I am trying to get my Milvez WX Advantage radar working. It used to work great a few years ago. I removed the various aircraft with their settings $%^&*

I have several a/c it used to work in. Now, it just appears a static display on the panel. I have the RXP GTN750 installed and working great. When I look in the WX Gauge tool, and see edit, It indicates the radar is installed in the PC12, Cessna 441, Falcon 50 and my Learjet 35A. In each instance, the RXP GTN750 is working well. I am using version 

1.1.2019.0514 of the WX Radar.

Using the FSW Falcon 50.version 2.0b, with the GTN750 working, and ready for take off, the WX is totally dead, with no buttons or switches working. I checked my Net Framework, and it is 4.8.4084, which exceeds the requirement for WX.

I have no MV_WX.dll in P3Dv4.5 game folder, or the gauges folder. Looking at the relevant areas? I see this, which looks ok, says he who really has no idea.

[Window Titles]
Window00 = CONTROL_PANEL
Window01 = AIRCRAFT_OPTIONS
Window02 = PAYLOAD_MANAGER
Window03 = START_INSTRUCTIONS
Window04 = HCP_PANEL
Window05 = WX Advantage Radar
Window06 =Reality XP GTN Unit 1 (managed)

[Window05]
ident = 71
visible = 0
sizeable = 1
size_mm = 419,381
position = 0
window_pos = 0,0
gauge02 = CONTROL_PANEL!clipboard RADAR,  9,81,400,300

[Vcockpit30]
Background_color = 0,0,0
size_mm=512,512
visible=0
pixel_size=512,512
texture=$MV_WXM
gauge00=MV_WX!WX,  0,0,512,361
gauge01 = CONTROL_PANEL!clipboard RADAR,  0,0,512,361

The  MV_WX.DLL is missing from the gauges folder. However, it exists in several  folders. For example,  C:\WX Advantage Radar\files\P3D45, or an alternative, C:\WX Advantage Radar\modules\P3D45. It seems there is a copy of the dll file for every version of P3D. 

It would appear, I need to have a copy of the dll file in every instance of the aircraft OR in the  gauges folder. I tried by placing a copy of the MV_WX.dll into the gauges folder, rebooted, then reloaded the Falcon 50, but the radar was still comatose. 

I have uninstalled WX Radar and reinstalled it, with no difference. If I could find a way to update WX Radar, I would give this a go as well.

Geoff Bryce

8 hours ago, por930 said:

1.1.2019.0514 of the WX Radar.

That seems to be a very old version of the WX radar. As I recall, Milviz had to update the radar with each update of P3Dv4.  I suggest you contact Milviz though their website and see what you have to do to get the latest version of the WX radar. Milviz did not update the radar for P3Dv5, but hopefully you can still get whatever the latest version was for P3Dv4 which I think is something like ver 1.50. - - - -.

Al

I have been trying to update the WX radar, but no luck so far. I purchased it in 2018 from FSStore. I have a request to them to send me log in details, as I have lost them. I have the order number and reg codes etc, but no reply as yet. I might try REX, as I recall them in some partnership at the time?

OK, Good news....With  two reinstalls, and a bit of trial and error, with choosing and moving the various MV_WX.DLL about, I have managed to get the radar working. It seems the dll file has to be located in the gauges folder, and it took 2 reboots for the system to suddenly accept this dll file being plonked in the folder and all seems well. Yet to try the radar in bad weather to see if it indicates. 

Geoff Bryce

8 hours ago, por930 said:

I have been trying to update the WX radar, but no luck so far. I purchased it in 2018 from FSStore. I have a request to them to send me log in details, as I have lost them. I have the order number and reg codes etc, but no reply as yet. I might try REX, as I recall them in some partnership at the time?

OK, Good news....With  two reinstalls, and a bit of trial and error, with choosing and moving the various MV_WX.DLL about, I have managed to get the radar working. It seems the dll file has to be located in the gauges folder, and it took 2 reboots for the system to suddenly accept this dll file being plonked in the folder and all seems well. Yet to try the radar in bad weather to see if it indicates. 

Glad to hear you got the WX radar working. If you don't hear back from the FS Store, I would contact Milviz with your WX radar purchase info and explain the situation. They may be willing to help you get an updated copy.

Al

I have contacted Milviz site to set up an account so I can contact them. It seems my email is already logged with an account, but alas, I have lost my log in details. I filled in one of their lost login requests a few days ago, they replied saying a new login password to be sent. But no response as yet. I may try and contact them again.

When I tried the WX ADVANTAGE RADAR UPDATER TOOL::The response I get is.....Connecting to REX EDGE Data Servers...
WX ADVANTAGE RADAR UPDATER::Downloading latest update from servers...
WX ADVANTAGE RADAR UPDATER::Error - The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.

I have no idea how to remedy that issue.

I need set up some storms in Active Sky for P3Dv4 and try the WX radar and see if it is working, other than the test pattern. If it works, then maybe no great hurry to update?

Geoff Bryce