Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

How to enable resizable BAR support in any Game

If you have an RTX 3000 series you may want to try this.

I did a quick test with MSFS and it does not seem to make any difference. Since it does not break things either, I will leave it on and continue testing.

https://wccftech.com/heres-how-you-can-enable-resizable-bar-support-in-any-game-via-nvidia-inspector/

4K / Ultra standard settings, 100% GPU limited. Slightly higher VRAM usage but it may be for other reasons.

First screenshot: ON, second: OFF.

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Screenshot-20

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Screenshot-20

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5

Resizable bar only works for selected games and not for MSFS, at least not for now

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

6 minutes ago, hansb57 said:

Resizable bar only works for selected games and not for MSFS, at least not for now

You didn't read the link I posted I guess 🙂

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5

More to the point, is it likely that asobo will at some point optimize the title to take advantage of the resizable bar?  My guess is for the time being they have too much on their plate as it is.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

2 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

Sure I did.  I put my freezer at maximum but my FPS in MSFS stayes the same. How come????

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

4 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

Interesting info all the same. Thanks for posting 👍

It's interesting in as far as although MSFS2020 is not listed as a game this works for Forza is..   Now we know that MSFS uses the Forzatech engine, so it is deffinately possible that if this is working at the engine level.. it could have an impact on MSFS2020 even if it's not a listed white product that specifically is set-up for it.

I was, at one point chasing some of these "fixes" but I was still getting the occaisional stutter or slow down, but not anymore.

Personaly, whilst everything is still in a state of flux, there is NO WAY now that I am changing anything to do with the way my computer operates or little adventures that may or may not have unexpected consequences and deffinately no changes to the core MSFS files or configs.

So where am I now?

I have a good machine.. with zero overclocking, no mods to delivered systems at all.. (I do have some airports and some add on planes that use the default systems) and upto date windows and drivers  and I get a fully working system with no CTD's and no stutters anywhere in the areas I fly in  (Mostly UK and local Europe or Canada in the evenings my time).

I don't use a rolling cache or a manual one and I have multiplayer off, but I do have live traffic and live weather both on, neither of which has ever failed for me on a flight.

I have a curved 27" screen and use it a 2K with all my settings on default ultra.  I have zero idea what my FPS is.. I have never looked and don't plan to start now 🙂

In addition, all my controllers are linked to the machine through an externally powered hub.. not a standard computer port and this also seems to work wonders as I have never had a peripheral failure or had one not recognised.

When we get to about a year in, then I may start looking at add-ons to existing systems such as FBW or Garmin improvements.. but until then, I am more than happy to just go with the flow.

I happily fly both GA and Tubes..  currently my most used aircraft are..  TBM930..  EMB110..  A320 neo (not FBW)..  Asobo 787 and the Bredok 737  all of which fly faultlessly for me and provide me with my entertainment factor 🙂

Graham

Edited by Moria15
  • Like 1

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

28 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

🙂in addition, all my controllers are linked to the machine through an externally powered hub.. not a standard computer port and this also seems to work wonders as I have never had a peripheral failure or had one not recognised.

I've never had any failures or issues using USB ports Graham. What are the benefits and drawbacks of using an externally powered hub?

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

4 hours ago, cianpars said:

I've never had any failures or issues using USB ports Graham. What are the benefits and drawbacks of using an externally powered hub?

WIndows 10, as a default, has systems to save power and can decide (if power requirements are high) to skip polling of certain USB ports is there has been no input from them for a certain time period.  Often happens when a power supply in a PC is close to whats needed rather than having lots of leeway.   Most often happens if the port is drawing power.. which can be as simple as having a light come on when connected.

You can override this in  Windows, but few people do that..  this can lead to a device that has been recognised to not being recognised if the port shuts down or skips it in polling even when a device is being "used" by the application.

It could also lead to the following...   if you finish your flight and leave the menu screen sitting up for longer than the time out.. possibly doing other things that encourage the machine to stop polling the previously used port... then when you switch off MSFS it will go off thinking that the USB input device is no longer connected which can lead to having to reset the input device  next startup.

A powered USB hub takes that strain away from the computer and power supply and means the port won't ever disconnect from a power issue or any other power saving device driven by the computer as the port itself is not drawing any power frrom the computer, it's just a connection.

Graham

Edited by Moria15
  • Like 3

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

Has anyone gone back and retried this with SU5 and the the hotfixes? 

Might be a different result with the xbox ram/vram limits, and the fact that the AMD-based xbox uses AMD's version of resizable bar.

AMD 7950x3d, MSI 4090 Supreme Liquid, 64GB@6000 CL30, MSI X670E ACE, 4TB Crucial T700 nvme, MSI AIO, Asus 43" HDR1000, Quest Pro, VKB gunfighter, Bravo throttle, TPR, IBM Model M keyboard, Shure SM58

So, I went and tried this myself post SU5.  No downsides, a frame or two more, and increased smoothness/less stutter when panning views, but those are hard to quantify.

I'm leaving it enabled.  Maybe it works better now because we're all running Xbox code and that has AMD's version or rebar?

• Like 1

AMD 7950x3d, MSI 4090 Supreme Liquid, 64GB@6000 CL30, MSI X670E ACE, 4TB Crucial T700 nvme, MSI AIO, Asus 43" HDR1000, Quest Pro, VKB gunfighter, Bravo throttle, TPR, IBM Model M keyboard, Shure SM58

Could be I guess. But it's up to Nvidia to enable it on our 3090 rigs, and they're the competitor to AMD.. so who knows if they will, even if it benefits us. So thanks for trying it!

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

On 8/7/2021 at 7:27 PM, BufordTX said:

Has anyone gone back and retried this with SU5 and the the hotfixes? 

A guy on the official forum did, difference still negligible and probably within margin of error: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/enabled-resizable-bar-1-3-fps-after-su5/440827

Considering the current status of MSFS, with CTDs and all, I would leave it at default.

EDIT: Sorry, that guy is you LOL

Edited by MrFuzzy

About 5 hours with it forced on...no CTD's.  But I didn't have any before either.  So it's not causing problems for me.  Head turning side to side in VR is better.  Subjective, I know.

• Like 2