Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

France bans short commercial flights

18 minutes ago, honanhal said:

That’s why tying it to the length of the replacement rail journey, as France has done, is so sensible. Of course, you need good existing rail service to make this kind of policy effective.

Agree. 

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

all that simming has generated 5 million tones of CO2. 🤣

And so much hot air from it`s forums that Avsim`s servers are on a collision course with the ISS.

31 minutes ago, CYXR said:

And so much hot air from it`s forums that Avsim`s servers are on a collision course with the ISS.

No, no, no, the forum servers are way to heavy and antiquated, they fill an entire stadium. The ISS is safe.  And the ISS is traveling at 17,000 mph so a moving target. 

Edited by martin-w

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

Does that mean I have to give up my 50 million quid yacht and Gulfstream jet? 

And your SUVs.  

I had to double check to make sure I wasn't reading an article on The Onion.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

2 hours ago, LHookins said:

And your SUVs. 

Phew, thank god. I don't have any SUV's. Only a Bugatti Chiron. Thank god I can keep that. 

In China, the High speed railway simply outcompete air trave in short distance. it's called "3 hour kill zoom" by us airline guys. Basiclly, if the rail trave time is less than 3 hour, even with similar price, people will prefer high speed rail. factor in the commute to station/airport time, and waiting time, plus possible weather issue, railway is even faster.

And if both airline and rail line were between same cities, guess who would lower more price to stay?

I was wondering about all the infrastructure involved, the rail lines themselves, the overpasses etc. scarring the landscape, vs. perhaps 2x4 km perimeters for regional airports. I think the rail lines' big plus though is where you can connect several huge cities with a single line.

I'll admit personally, I don't like high speed trains so much. I much prefer flying, also on regional jets/turboprops. I like inner city airports, London-City, Taipei-Songshan, Shanghai-Hongqiao etc. Beyond a certain speed I can't enjoy the scenery anymore, so I figure I may as well fly.

I remember when the A380 came out and fuel prices were high, there was some idle chit chat about getting them certified to carry maybe over 1,000 passengers, perhaps with additional emergency exits and amusement park roller coaster style harnesses, where you're kind of half sitting, half standing, to use on short hauls. But in such a case, I'd also prefer taking a high speed train, nice and easy from city center to city center, no big hassles.