Sign in to follow this  
filou

Upcoming X-Plane 12

The only plugins that stopped working for me with 11.50 were Librain and StopZoomingDammit.
Add the external tool X-Vision for which there is a new version but I'm not paying again.

Other than that I'm happy with what Vulkan brought in terms of performances and reliability.

In the grand scheme of things, very little has changed from 11.05 (my entry in the x-plane world) of which I have a fully working backup and occasionally start up just to see how things were in 2017

2 hours ago, Mike44 said:

XP12 will have to compete FS2020, good luck with that...

For graphics only.
But as aircraft ... on-board systems ... flight dynamics ... it is FS2020 that has to compete against Xplane.
I own a fleet of excellent pay liners ... B737 classic and NG, B757, B767, A319-320-321, MD80, A350, Saab Turboprop.
I can't throw these planes in the trash and fly with the default FS2020 planes.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Creatore di * FS9 Supersky * ( plugin Atmo Ambient Environment ).
* XP11 atmoXphere * (
Atmo Ambient Environment plugin ) creatore.

-------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
Pc intel i3-4160 3.6ghz, 8gb ram, (new) GeForce RTX-3060 12gb, Win10 Home 64bit
--------------- --------------------------------------------------------

3 hours ago, jarmstro said:

Because I'm going to buy XP12 which will replace my current install. You seem certain that addons will be compatible. Why then will no developer state that this is the case if not that the addon might not be?

I don't understand the speech.
I'm not interested in enjoying the future, I'm interested in enjoying now.
If now (for example) there is the A300 for XPlane11 (a masterpiece), why shouldn't I buy it?
What do I care about Xp12!
I buy the A300 now, enjoy it now, and enjoy it in the future as well.
I don't have to migrate to XP12 right away, I can continue flying XP11 as long as I want.
Xp12 we don't know when it will come out.
1 years?
2 years?
Nobody knows.
So what do I do ... do I let slip the products that I can now enjoy and that in the future I may no longer enjoy because they are incompatible?
Or do I buy them for Xp12 but then I regret because they may not be compatible with XP13?
Do I wait for compatibility all my life?
So I stop flying, throw everything in the bin and dedicate myself to something else.
I am a pilot who has learned to be satisfied with little in life.
In fact, I still fly with FS9.
Why?
Because I don't care about the future.
I enjoy now the good things I have now.

I know ... I'm an old-fashioned person. 😎

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Creatore di * FS9 Supersky * ( plugin Atmo Ambient Environment ).
* XP11 atmoXphere * (
Atmo Ambient Environment plugin ) creatore.

-------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
Pc intel i3-4160 3.6ghz, 8gb ram, (new) GeForce RTX-3060 12gb, Win10 Home 64bit
--------------- --------------------------------------------------------

20 minutes ago, efis007 said:

Because I don't care about the future.

Looks up the thread title... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Th1racer said:

Thanks !

I have some time as I am looking into a new PC for X PLane 11, possibly MSFS if they ever get it to Flight Sim level. My new Flight Deck is also a work in progress but then again will it ever be "done".lol. My thoughts are to fly FSX with the new PC, flight deck. Gets the bugs worked out then upgrade the Flight Sim,

I mean if $70 (or less when it's on Steam sale) isn't going to deprive your family of some basic necessities, you may as well get XP11 to warm up to Laminar's flight simulation philosophy before diving into XP12 during the beta or after release. It is different enough to FSX to warrant some adaption time and there's enough freeware out there to keep anybody busy for a few hundred hours.

After 11+ years with FSX, I went to X-Plane three years ago and after another year, the simulator that gave me 4000+ hours of enjoyment and frustration went off my hard drive for good. I sometimes still miss the integrated AI/ATC system and retro add-ons though.

12 hours ago, mSparks said:

xp11 is still largely compatible with xp9 stuff dating back to like 2008, heck one of the "must have" plugins for any would be tuber (autogate) hasn't needed to be updated for 8 years.

Umm...Autogate's commit and release history begs to differ. https://github.com/Marginal/AutoGate

10 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

I would be surprised if 12 breaks any add-ons, as most of that side of things has being taken care of. But we shall wait and see.

What about those developers with a more than lax update policy and who depend on third party plugins that can not be updated? (Looking at you, Carenado.)

Edited by Bjoern
  • Like 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

21 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

I mean if $70 (or less when it's on Steam sale) isn't going to deprive your family of some basic necessities, you may as well get XP11 to warm up to Laminar's flight simulation philosophy before diving into XP12 during the beta or after release. It is different enough to FSX to warrant some adaption time and there's enough freeware out there to keep anybody busy for a few hundred hours.

After 11+ years with FSX, I went to X-Plane three years ago and after another year, the simulator that gave me 4000+ hours of enjoyment and frustration went off my hard drive for good. I sometimes still miss the integrated AI/ATC system and retro add-ons though.

Umm...Autogate's commit and release history begs to differ. https://github.com/Marginal/AutoGate

What about those developers with a more than lax update policy and who depend on third party plugins that can not be updated? (Looking at you, Carenado.)

No the $ 70 will not break the bank.lol,,,,, Just a curious conservative consumer ! I will most likely buy X Plane 11 and MSFS just to test drive her. My biggest concern is a new PC... I have a seperate thread started for that !

Thanks !

Am I reading correctly that the librain plugin doesn't work with Vulkan enabled?

There's so much disinformation on this thread. It's disappointing.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

6 hours ago, DJJose said:

Am I reading correctly that the librain plugin doesn't work with Vulkan enabled?

Nop it doesnt, and its freeware and the developer as far as I am aware isnt updating it

7 hours ago, Bjoern said:

Be surprised if we see Carenado anytime soon, they must be making a killing on the  other side, and probably far less complaints.

Edited by mjrhealth

11 hours ago, Mike44 said:

XP12 will have to compete FS2020, good luck with that...

X-Plane has been competing with MSFS for 30 years. Why would you think XP12 would, all of a sudden, fail against FS2020?  

Edited by GoranM
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, DJJose said:

librain does work in vulkan, but only if librain settings are set to low.  This is getting looked at, but, due to commitments on another project, the author is not considering it a priority at the moment.  

2 hours ago, GoranM said:

Why would you think XP12 would, all of a sudden, fail against FS2020?

Microsoft has a cute Asobo Scenery Simulator.

DCS now has breathtaking graphics and second to none multiplayer.

XP12 hasn't even been announced yet, any kind of update is already a full quarter late, and they are still fighting Vulkan Device Loss errors (a critical issue for their core market). I don't think even Laminar is particularly hyped about their progress, and at this point, - even though I don't personally think they should be - potentially even a little ashamed.

Unless they sort their marketing out, and soon, they will fail by simply never even competing, a lot of the boffs on the org even seem to think that is their best strategy (and will helpfully ban anyone who thinks they should even try and compete on any level)....

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

7 hours ago, mSparks said:

a lot of the boffs on the org even seem to think that is their best strategy....

There's always someone who thinks they can run a business better than the businesses creator.  Unless they've created something that has lasted for 2-3 decades, their opinion is a steaming pile of excrement.

any kind of update is already a full quarter late,

I never understood this.  Late for what?  

and they are still fighting Vulkan Device Loss errors (a critical issue for their core market)

I've never had a vulkan or Metal device loss error.  These are down to overclocking.  Something I don't do.

I don't think even Laminar is particularly hyped about their progress

You don't think they are.  I KNOW they are.  Otherwise they wouldn't be pumping almost all their resources into it.  I mean, what's the alternative?  Austin and Ben coming out on a weekly basis, posting in the dev blog, "Just to let you know, we're hyped about our progress!!"?

potentially even a little ashamed.

There is no reason for them to be ashamed.  They came out with 64bit.  P3D followed.  They came out with PBR.  Microsoft followed. They came out with HDR lighting.  Microsoft followed.  They've implemented Vulkan and Metal, AFAIK, Microsoft are still in the process of getting DX12 implemented.  LR were using blade element theory from day 1.  Now, after 30 years of using lookup tables, Asobo are claiming to use a better version of BET. (lol).  LR have never gone out of business.  Ever.  Microsoft pulled the FS line after the short lived MS Flight.  Then it was picked up by LM.  Then Dovetail games picked it up, and then dumped it.  And now they're attempting to revive it again.  As far as I'm concerned, with the exception of the scenery, Laminar have done the trailblazing, and MSFS is playing catch up.

For a team of about 14-20, compared to the few hundred at Asobo, and the trillion dollar company called Microsoft, I think the work Laminar are doing is outstanding, and I tip my hat top them.  It just goes to show, brains are more important than money when something needs to get done.

After my last statement, let the flaming from the MSFS folks begin!  But everything I posted about LR's accomplishments, and being the first to implement them, is true.

Edited by GoranM
  • Upvote 6

39 minutes ago, mSparks said:

potentially even a little ashamed.

Considering what they have done with the resources they have, there is absolutely nothing for them to be shamed of, maybe just these incessant complaint from experts, maybe they should be ashamed of there childish behaviour. We demand, we demand, the incessant cry of people today. I was happy with my balsa plane driven by elastic band as a kid, I guess know where I came from, and " APPRECIATE" what I have.

• Like 1