Sign in to follow this  
filou

Upcoming X-Plane 12

Since we talked a bit about clouds on different sims, i saw this video released today, thought it was pretty nice so i am sharing it 🙂

• Upvote 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

1 hour ago, Pastaiolo said:

Since we talked a bit about clouds on different sims, i saw this video released today, thought it was pretty nice so i am sharing it 🙂

yours for the bargain price of ~$200,000

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

Beautiful clouds. Did it create buildings upon photoscenery? That would be perfect for Austin to catch up upon MSFS.

On 4/18/2021 at 6:06 AM, GoranM said:

Honesty and an honest criticism of ones own product.  The man earns more and more of my respect every time I read comments like the one you just posted.

So in other words, you respect a developer who has done nothing (for years) about the performance killing circle of clouds around the plane...that do not extend to the horizon.

What platform do you develop for again????

On 4/18/2021 at 6:06 AM, GoranM said:

Do you really want to get into comparisons?  Because I could write a book about MSFS and its problems.  Some that even a 1st year coder wouldn't make.

Now I was talking about clouds....don't deflect. So yeah...let's start that comparison...

MSFS (civil sim) and DCS (combat sim) are below. Again, what has Austin done over the years to advance his clouds??? Where is your XP vid showing default clouds for the comparison???

Here is DCS...

Here is MSFS

1 hour ago, FlyBaby said:

Here is MSFS

I've looked at lots of clouds, never in my entire life have I ever seen clouds that look like any portion of that video.

I challenge you to find a single real world picture that looks remotely like anything that video.

Sure it looks "cool", but its absolute nonsense.

XP11 clouds may stay where they are in 90kt winds, but at least they actually look like clouds

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

Just put this into google images "clouds dumping rain" and you will see plenty that look like portions of that video, so msfs isn't that far fetched. I will say that the opening shot in that video is ridiculous though and the rainbows are bonkers, I've never seen msfs look quite as bad as that opening scene is it really untouched or enhanced in editing?

Xplane has improved a lot over time and in general is ok with active sky. My main problem is the lighting always seems a bit grey. I dont ever seem to get really bright white fluffy clouds that you get on sunny days. The view of them from below is a bit muted.

24 minutes ago, tutmeister said:

and you will see plenty that look like portions of that video

Which one?

maxresdefault.jpg

clouds-dumping-rain-picture-id92471082?k

mNmRqB6W0TkxVPmLrJwYpYrJQDVh3ZaeHFITEHuC

JmKJ5miqtTuwzB3OXfw6pEtBe3hvsCvj7OiRpWSK

microburst.png

About the closest I can find to the MSFS formations is

3000.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=forma

Few hundred copies of that one on the right.

But thats the wrong kind of rain cloud...... 

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

13 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

So in other words, you respect a developer who has done nothing (for years) about the performance killing circle of clouds around the plane...that do not extend to the horizon.

Ok, first of all, I don't know where this "performance killing circle of clouds" comment is coming from.  I can set default clouds to max, and still get 60fps with vsync turned on.  If you have X-Plane, and you're getting performance killing clouds, it might be a good time to upgrade your 5+ year old hardware.  

As far as respecting a developer for not changing the clouds...Absolutely.  I don't place clouds anywhere near the top of my list for important flight sim elements.  I want a smooth flight model, that I can see, should I choose to.  I want effects on the flight model from wind.  I want ground effects.  I want multi wing flight models.  X-Plane provides all of this.  The clouds as they are?  I'm happy with them.  Can they be improved? Absolutely!  Will they be improved?  Almost definitely.  Will the be improved to YOUR standards?  LOL...never in a million years.  Purely out of spite.

What platform do you develop for again????

The one I consider the best one.  The one where I have a direct line to the creators and who will reply to any concerns or questions I have within 24 hours.  The one that hasn't ever shut its doors in approximately 30 years of being in direct competition with the Microsoft franchise. The one, with a staff of under 20, that can create a flight simulator, and compete with a trillion dollar company.  The one that enables me to create a 2 million+ poly aircraft. with over 50 4K PBR textures.  The one that is not run by game developers.  The one that enables the programmers I work with to implement every single system that is in the real aircraft.  Case in point, the CL650.  I want to develop aircraft with a level of realism that a real world pilot would drop his jaw at.  I guarantee you, MSFS doesn't even come remotely close to giving me all that.  I've said it before...Brains are more important than money when something needs to get done.

Now I was talking about clouds....don't deflect. So yeah...let's start that comparison...

MSFS (civil sim) and DCS (combat sim) are below. Again, what has Austin done over the years to advance his clouds??? Where is your XP vid showing default clouds for the comparison???

Here we go with the clouds again.  I've already stated it, MSFS clouds look better than X-Plane clouds.  I wasn't deflecting.  I don't understand what you want me to say, otherwise.  You're placing a ton of importance on clouds.  If you want a cloud simulator, MSFS is definitely for you.  But, at the risk of "deflecting", if you want a flight simulator, with Blade Element Theory implemented correctly, then X-Plane is the best one.  And that's my opinion.  You certainly don't have to agree with it.  As a matter of fact, after all this, I hope you DON'T agree with it.  Personally, I don't want a cloud simulator or a scenery simulator, with flight physics taking a back seat.  

Aside from all this, why do you care this much about my opinion, anyway??  I certainly don't care about yours.  All you do is troll.  If you prefer MSFS over X-Plane, go use MSFS.  It's certainly no skin off my nose, and I couldn't care less.  If you want to choose X-Plane, then I, along with just about everyone here, will be more than happy to help you get the most out of it.

Have a great day!

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Greazer said:

LR need to partner with Eagle Dynamics for world and atmosphere. Only way XP can survive.

Because they haven't survived for 30 years against Microsoft without partnering with someone.

Most times, your comments truly baffle the mind.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This thread epitomises X-Plane. The endless repetition and eulogising of three names. Austin. Ben and another guy who's name escapes me but who most here will instantly know. It's a cult.

These three individuals may be the best in their field. Or not. LR needs new blood and investment and less praise for its Dear Leader.

Edited by jarmstro

7 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

This thread epitomises X-Plane.

I know, right.  And to think, it's happening in an X-Plane dedicated forum.  Who would have thought.

15 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

It's a cult.

Talk about going to extremes!

16 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

These three individuals may be the best in their field.

They are.  Ben Supnik learned how to code in Python in about 2 weeks.

16 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

LR needs new blood and investment and less praise for its Dear Leader.

They're constantly hiring.  As for the "dear leader" (a bit of a weird description, because most, if not all of us just look at him as the creator of X-Plane, and a very easy guy to talk to who is more down to earth than most narcissistic, 2nd rate developers), what else would you call him, considering he created X-Plane V1 on his own?  If you knew his accomplishments, and things he's done outside of X-Plane, you would be heaping praise on him, also.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

The endless repetition and eulogising of three names

Close, this thread is epitomised by the endless repetition from three names. 

Edited by yidahoo
  • Like 3

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

If you all hate xplane so much, why are you here. Bunch of children. Grow up. Myst be rutting season

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, mjrhealth said:

If you all hate xplane so much, why are you here. Bunch of children. Grow up. Myst be rutting season

I'm going out on a very long limb here, but I think I know why they hate X-Plane so much.  X-Plane is the only threat to MSFS.  It has been a constant thorn in Microsofts side, for the better part of 30 years.  And there will always be a select few who will try to "extinguish the X-Plane flame just so the MS flame appears brighter".

But there is no changing the fact that MS shut down the flight sim section, on more than 1 occasion due to dwindling profits.  While X-Plane has gotten more and more popular, with a very slight dip in sales during August last year.  But then saw a bump in sales in the following months due to all the new people introduced to flight sims.  So THANK YOU, MICROSOFT AND ASOBO!

Of course, X-Plane doesn't have the 2 MILLION PILOTS that MSFS has, right @FlyBaby...but, as with my Ford vs Ferrari example, that doesn't make MSFS the better choice.  Just a different choice.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2