Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

New physics might be on the way.

Duh, I thought this was about MSFS 😉

Yep, it appears that, after almost 50 years, they finally found something that is not explained by the standard model of particle physics. However, similarly to dark energy and dark matter in cosmology and astronomy, they can currently only speculate about the reason behind the new findings.

Peter

I'd be tempted to try some different stuff with that Hadron Collider, like seeing how fast you could accelerate a Jaffa Cake, or finding out what speed a Hobnob biscuit disintegrates at after you've dunked it into a cup of tea, or maybe seeing if toast still drops butter-side-down if it is dropped at the speed of light. These are the things we really need to know for the forthcoming Black Holes Matter campaign.

On a more serious note, I suspect discoveries such as this, if it turns out to be a game changer, will mean they can figure out warp drives or some funky stuff like that.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

16 minutes ago, Chock said:

On a more serious note, I suspect discoveries such as this, if it turns out to be a game changer, will mean they can figure out warp drives or some funky stuff like that.

Not sure about warp drives Mr Chock but I am reliably told we will be able to build an Interocitor. 

I generally like prune juice!  Wait! What??  I guess we are not discussing laxatives?  💩

Old age strikes again!

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Will the news physics replace the old physics or will the new physics just change some of the old physics stuff or will there be two physics existing side by side?

Noel

• Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

What a load of  word not allowed !

The only thing that I got out of that is that I need a new bigger fridge for this magnet .

The current standard model is just a best fit for our current level of understanding , we are at the moment living in a world populated with fudge factors , constants , etc . We are not looking at  " NEW PHYSICS " we are trying to progress what we already have , there are lots of holes in our understanding , what's Gravity ? why is it's force many orders of magnitude different ? What was Mr Einstein trying to find out ? why can't we resolve Quantum physics with classical ?  and wave or particle or both what does it intrinsically mean ?

They are getting excited about a particle property before they have scientifically substantiated it , and without evaluating it's significance . Bad science !

Oh  ,  I do love that , a fridge magnet .

Cheers

Karol

23 minutes ago, COBS said:

They are getting excited about a particle property before they have scientifically substantiated it

Confidence level is currently 4.2 sigma. That a confidence level of 99.997 percent. So yes, the scientists in question have every right to be excited about what it "might" all mean. Science is cautious though, so they wont regard this as a discovery  until it hits 5 Sigma.

So no, its not "bad science" and if you were qualified in this field you might be excited about the possibilities too.  

Edited by martin-w

34 minutes ago, COBS said:

We are not looking at  " NEW PHYSICS "

I don't think you understand what that expression means.  They mean a new understanding of the physics we have now, they obviously aren't talking about the entirety of physics being scrapped and replaced with something new. Every element of the physics we have now is "physics" a new particle alone is "new physics", a modification to existing theory is "new physics" the standard model being broken and leading us in a new direction where it has to be modified is "new physics". Its about re-evaluating what we have now. 

New physics definitionA branch of physics based on new principles or assumptions which require previous theories to be re-evaluated

Edited by martin-w

22 hours ago, qqwertzde said:

they finally found something that is not explained

Of course this is about MSFS ... there is so much that is not explained nor fathomable about the MSFS Updates.

Tony

• Like 4

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.