Sign in to follow this  
Sigwolf

FlyByWire discord now requires a phone number?!

I also decided to close my (just opened) Discord account after seeing this telephone requirement. This is a one way street identical to those Internet vendors requiring you to leave your credit card details on file in their system for future purchase, I decline (sorry Amazon!). We really need to become stricter with our data, giving up is encouraging more and more identical requests. All that would be OK if IT security systems were foolproof, but we all know that even the best are not!

Edited by Jean-Claude
  • Upvote 1

Wait wait wait....so you all don't mind pouring tons of personal info and even pictures of your beloved spouses and children into social media sites like Facebook, but whining about having a phone number verification on a discord server?🤣

Avsim never fails to deliver....😂

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

50 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

Wait wait wait....so you all don't mind pouring tons of personal info and even pictures of your beloved spouses and children into social media sites like Facebook, but whining about having a phone number verification on a discord server?🤣

Avsim never fails to deliver....😂

Never fails to deliver trolls making ridiculous assumptions?  I don't, and never will, have a Facebook account, and any social media that I use is disassociated with my actual identity.  Nice try at deflection, though.

5 minutes ago, Sigwolf said:

Never fails to deliver trolls making ridiculous assumptions?  I don't, and never will, have a Facebook account, and any social media that I use is disassociated with my actual identity.  Nice try at deflection, though.

Well that particular discord server's requirements are obviously not for you...so simply move on.

Case closed!

Edited by blueshark747

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

1 minute ago, blueshark747 said:

Well that particular discord server's requirements are obviously not for you...so simply move on.

Case closed!

Which has also been covered and acknowledged in this very thread.  Your amateur moderator skills are strong, though.  Thanks for the 'contribution'.

14 hours ago, FrankT said:

Just use 202-456-1414 .. it's the WH switchboard

Same location as the WH Mailroom...🤣

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

30 minutes ago, jbdbow1970 said:

8675309, 7779311 popular numbers.

Considering they require a reply to a text sent to the number entered, not really useful in this context.  Appreciate the sentiment, though. 😉

Edited by Sigwolf

11 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

you all don't mind pouring tons of personal info and even pictures of your beloved spouses and children into social media sites like Facebook,

Because this is a mandatory behavior in 2021 for everyone?!!!

As you said, let's move on...

18 hours ago, IcemanFBW said:

we do not even get to see your phone number at all - this is all handled through Discord itself.

Well, that's certainly reassuring. (end of sarcasm)

I wonder why the WT don't require this......

@Ricardo41 Well gosh aren't you entitled? It's a free addon, with communications running on a free platform, they can set whatever entry requirements they see fit, they owe you nothing. FBW decided because of problem users they need Discord accounts in their server to be verified via mobile number, that's within their rights to do and if you don't like it, as others have said, you have the right to not participate and move on. You don't need to be in the Discord to use their addons, it's completely optional. WT have decided they aren't at the stage of or would benefit significantly from requiring phone verified accounts.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 3

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

@ckyliu You seem to be not particularly well informed about account security and 2FA.

And your argument about me being "entitled", well, I can't comment on that part without risking a ban.😄

Edited by Ricardo41

This thread isn't about 2FA imo (although others have bought it into the conversation), it's about verifying your account with Discord via a mobile phone number to stop users creating multiple accounts so easily (I do get this overlaps into 2FA) to circumvent bans. If people aren't comfortable with Discord having their phone number (I'm not, that's why I'm not in Discord servers that require phone verified accounts), that's fine, but I'm not going to abonish any server admins that feel they need it to reduce problems. Saying "well WT don't require it..." you're implying wrongdoing by FBW relative to others, unless you'd like to clarify your remark?

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 2

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

5 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Well, that's certainly reassuring. (end of sarcasm)

I wonder why the WT don't require this......

WT obviously don't have the severe spam and friend request invite scams as FBW server had.

There have been some really bad security issues regarding Discord the past 5 months where scammers have gotten really clever.

Look folks...how about if you have no experience on even running a discord server then simply not speaking or judging the actions of dev groups like FBW who do?

The point of the phone verification is to protect both server and user...it's not rocket science.

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

1 minute ago, blueshark747 said:

The point of the phone verification is to protect both server and user...it's not rocket science.

It's not rocket science, yet despite it being pointed out several times in this thread by several people, but you still don't seem to understand phone verification does nothing to protect the user.  2FA protects the user, and a phone number does not need to be entered to enable 2FA.  Phone verification may well protect the server, but it is at the expense of the user's personal information.

It is certainly FBW's right to do so, but let's stop pretending it protects the user.