Sign in to follow this  
GEKtheReaper

Help a dumb guy to understand the Quest 2

Due to budget I would like to purchase the Quest 2 (was initialy considering Rift S) and have maybe some dumb general questions about it. Since the Quest 2 "does not need a PC to run" I'm kind of confused how it is going to be set up and used with MSFS.

1. Do I have to connect the Q2 to my PC (WITH CABLE) or is MSFS kinf of "downloaded or mirrored (WiFi)" on the Q2?

2.1. (If connecting is a must) does it matter if I choose 64 or 256GB RAM (I suppose that my PC does all the work and sends the visuals to the Q2)?

2.2. (if it's standalone)

2.2.1 does it need 256GB RAM (do I somehow download or send MSFS to the Q2)?

2.2.2 is the performance dependent on my PC HW or limited just by the Q2 HW (supposing here that MSFS runs directly on the Q2?

Thank you.

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

My understanding is that the 256gb is only for storage of onboard games. Since MSFS would live on your PC, you'd be just fine with 64gb. Here for the other answers...

• Like 1

Go with the 64GB model. 256GB is overkill, as stand-alone VR games are quite small, and 64GB will store a boat-load.  Plus, games that are surplus can just sit in your library waiting to be downloaded. You don’t lose what you can’t store.

The Q2 connects to the PC with a single, Link Cable. The official one is incredibly expensive. Just go to Amazon and type in Quest 2 Link cable, and you will find a ton of options. Just read the reviews and take your pick.

MSFS does not load onto your Quest. The Quest is merely a window into your PC. So performance is completely governed by your PC. 

Edited by Bilbosmeggins
  • Like 1

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

In the upcoming release of the software v28, if you have a good router and connection you will be able to connect to the pc via wifi.  Can't confirm how well msfs runs over wifi but I've heard good things about the 3rd party Virtual Desktop payware which allows wireless connection to the pc.  I'm hoping the OculusAir inhouse wifi will be just as good.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the answers. I ordered a 64GB Q2 that should arive end of the month. When it's here I wil first try to go for a USB C to C Link (have 1 USB C on my MOBO). If that fails I will try USB A to C.

My Router can't handle more then 800Mbit/s (it's from my internet provider...maybe I'll ask for an update if it fails to work)

Edited by GEKtheReaper

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech