Sign in to follow this  
Richard Jacks

wings gusts/turbulence in msfs live weather

After flying across the country the last few days in MSFS, it seems to me the wind gusts and turbulence is a bit much-especially with the yaw movement in the A320nx/airliners while crsuiing. Is there any way to limit this in live weather?

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

That's a very good question. All the airplanes suffer from that issue, very unrealistic.

I wonder what is the purpose of having "beta testers". 

• Like 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

43 minutes ago, Richard Jacks said:

After flying across the country the last few days in MSFS, it seems to me the wind gusts and turbulence is a bit much-especially with the yaw movement in the A320nx/airliners while crsuiing. Is there any way to limit this in live weather?

Thanks for your help.

Definitely noticed an uptick as well.  Wasn't sure if it was due to more active weather patterns or a change in the sim.  Definitely noticed an increase in turbulence levels and frequency though.  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Agree the "gusts" and "turbulence" are either non-existent or totally O.T.T

As far as I can see the "movement" is hard-coded into the sim. I was flying with "clear weather" and no wind yesterday but the sim still "bumped" my aircraft as I crossed the cliffs from sea to mainland.

The weather effects are so rubbish I tend to fly with my own customized weather now and leave gusts off.

Below is how MSFS "models" gusts in the sim. This is on approach to Oxford with customized weather and a few knots of "gust". Take a look if you like and tell me if you think it looks realistic!

http://www.hhuk.net/MSFSTWERK.mov

• Like 2

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

link does not work

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

4 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

link does not work

That's odd - I just clicked the link in my previous post and it worked fine. Windows 10/Firefox browser. Also working on my phone (Android/Samsung browser).

FSUK.jpg

1 minute ago, TrafficPilot said:

That's odd - I just clicked the link in my previous post and it worked fine. Windows 10/Firefox browser. Also working on my phone (Android/Samsung browser).

I can't get it to work either.

I've uploaded the clip to my YouTube channel if you want to take a look. It's quite comical - reminds me of "twerking"!

FSUK.jpg

Yea but who cares what it looks like from the outside, it's what it looks and "feels" like from the inside that should matter more.

The movement vs inertia issues will likely need lots of time and experimentation to be tweaked, no doubt, but at least now this platform finally has some sort of movement to it... which IMO has been missing for far too long. FSX and everything before it was much too stable and always felt more like moving through water instead of air, to me. We still may not feel as if we're perfectly moving through a moving air mass...but at least there's movement now.

My hope is that MS/Asobo will invest more heavily into hiring aeronautical experts and pilots who can help to improve upon the general feeling of flight through various types of air masses. I want to see lots of money put into this aspect, since it is afterall, a flight sim. Let them relax for awhile on the scenery stuff since it already looks much better than anything we've ever had before it...now let them work on the infrastructure and basics of flight modeling for a couple years.

Edited by hangar
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TrafficPilot said:

I've uploaded the clip to my YouTube channel if you want to take a look. It's quite comical - reminds me of "twerking"!

It looks pretty realistic to me except the frequency of "bumps" should be dialed down a bit

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Having only flown light through medium-heavy aircraft in this sim so far, I'd say that turbulence has been modeled better than other sims and certainly fairly well from the cockpit.

However, things did go over-the-top on a high-level flight over the Alps in early Spring.  I hit a long stretch of what I'm guessing was supposed to be clear-air turbulence - the heaviest I'd ever experienced in the sim.  I began trying other altitudes to see if I could get out of it, whereupon I was suddenly informed that the airframe had experienced "catastrophic failure" and I was dumped from the flight.

I informed Asobo that modern aircraft do not have "their wings ripped off" by turbulence these days...

• Like 1

Randall Rocke

3 hours ago, wim123 said:

i think its about right for the light planes.

1 hour ago, sd_flyer said:

It looks pretty realistic to me except the frequency of "bumps" should be dialed down a bit

I find it interesting that it's predominantly Americans who claim that MSFS' turbulence and gust recreation is realistic. The heat at certain latitudes and terrain in certain parts of the country make pronounced bouncing around appear normal in most flights.

Having flown IRL at EGLG, EGLK, EIWT, CYCD and YSBK, in various VFR-legal weather conditions and at different times of year, one of the most turbulent flights I've ever been on was climbing out of KDFW as pax on a Boeing 777 on an April afternoon.

If I was thrown around as much in a real single prop as much as MSFS suggests in the sim, I never would have done more than 2 or 3 VFR flights. IMHO, the effect is overdone.

Edited by F737NG

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, sd_flyer said:

It just needs a bit more of a gradual slow-down between direction changes and the stops of the bumps. The shift in direction would be pretty amazing if inertia let it "sink in" more at the tail ends of the bumps.

I'm not very good at explaining the thoughts in my head, but that's the best way I can describe why I feel like the effect is unrealistic. The jerks end too suddenly and not like a 2,500 lb object being arrested by aerodynamic forces.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

1 minute ago, F737NG said:

I find it interesting that it's predominantly Americans who claim that MSFS' turbulence and gust recreation is realistic. The heat at certain latitudes and terrain in certain parts of the country make bouncing around appear normal for GA flights.

Having flown at EGLG, EGLK, EIWT, CYCD and YSBK, in various VFR-legal weather conditions and at different times of year, one of the most turbulent flights I've ever been on was climbing out of KDFW as pax on a Boeing 777 on an April afternoon.

If I was thrown around as much in a single prop as much as MSFS suggests, I never would have done more than 2 or 3 VFR flights. IMHO, the effect is way overdone.

It doesn't matter where one lives. Turbulence can be different kind and attributed to  multiple reasons: mechanical turbulence, clear air turbulence, thermal turbulence, temperature inversion turbulence, convection related turbulence, frontal turbulence  and so on. When one experience turbulence it could have different degrees light, moderate, severe extreme. It is not uncommon to feel more turbulence in lighter aircraft rather than heavier. There is even pirep joke about it when Cessna 172 report severe turbulence over  cajon pass, few seconds later 737 report at the same altitude and place a light chop. 🙂

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI