Sign in to follow this  
Richard Jacks

wings gusts/turbulence in msfs live weather

5 minutes ago, WestAir said:

It just needs a bit more of a gradual slow-down between direction changes and the stops of the bumps. The shift in direction would be pretty amazing if inertia let it "sink in" more at the tail ends of the bumps.

I'm not very good at explaining the thoughts in my head, but that's the best way I can describe why I feel like the effect is unrealistic. The jerks end too suddenly and not like a 2,500 lb object being arrested by aerodynamic forces.

I have experienced sudden jerks in mountains and heavy winds (not a big fun). They do exist but not in such frequency as in MSFS. To me it need to be tweaked rather changed completely. Also if type of turbulence is known  there could be difference between turbulence over water and say mountainous terrain. On many occasion I find refuge to do lesson over water when there is bouncy house over land. But that of course could geographically specific!     

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 minute ago, sd_flyer said:

It doesn't matter where one lives. Turbulence can be different kind and attributed to  multiple reasons: mechanical turbulence, clear air turbulence, thermal turbulence, temperature inversion turbulence, convection related turbulence, frontal turbulence  and so on. When one experience turbulence it could have different degrees light, moderate, severe extreme. It is not uncommon to feel more turbulence in lighter aircraft rather than heavier. There is even pirep joke about it when Cessna 172 report severe turbulence over  cajon pass, few seconds later 737 report at the same altitude and place a light chop. 🙂

Well aware of that thanks. Hence why I mentioned flying smoothly in single props compared to a 777.

Some of the airfields I've flown from suffer from mechanical turbulence induced by nearby terrain, and yet still calmer than often depicted in MSFS.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I have experienced sudden jerks in mountains and heavy winds (not a big fun). They do exist but not in such frequency as in MSFS. To me it need to be tweaked rather changed completely. Also if type of turbulence is known  there could be difference between turbulence over water and say mountainous terrain. On many occasion I find refuge to do lesson over water when there is bouncy house over land. But that of course could geographically specific!     

Smart. In mid summer I used to hate hitting the updraft over every hot asphalt road. It felt like riding on one of those jerky hydraulic amusement park rides.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Just now, WestAir said:

Smart. In mid summer I used to hate hitting the updraft over every hot asphalt road. It felt like riding on one of those jerky hydraulic amusement park rides.

Well it's better than see blue faces of my students. Also on rare occasions  some folks puke and even after clean up the smell stays for a while NOT A BIG FUN of that 😄 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Well it's better than see blue faces of my students. Also on rare occasions  some folks puke and even after clean up the smell stays for a while NOT A BIG FUN of that 😄 

I bet you just gave some addon creator an idea: Puke effects for MSFS. Hope they still keep the puke bag in the pouch behind the seats. 😄

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Just now, WestAir said:

I bet you just gave some addon creator an idea: Puke effects for MSFS. Hope they still keep the puke bag in the pouch behind the seats. 😄

I know there are vibrating gamers chair. I believe adding smell to them would be unforgettable gaming experience 🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

The closest I came to puking was after an hour soloing as a student practicing power-on climbing stalls.  After an hour of wing-overs and short drops my stomach began to complain as I was on final.  I landed with one hand on the yoke and the other holding a bag over my mouth as I experienced dry heaves...

Randall Rocke

As a RW pilot who has flown gliders, microlights, 152s, etc. I find the bumps and weather a pretty good representation of the RW.  Maybe they could be dialled down a fraction, but I would prefer ASOBO to leave them as they are for fear of going to far the other way.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I know there are vibrating gamers chair. I believe adding smell to them would be unforgettable gaming experience 🙂

I got the gaming chair and always thought of smell flow. Different smells on a usb unit which heats the oils to make the smells when certain events happen in the sim.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

Well I have flown a great deal, plus I am a meteorologist...not that means much, but I do know from experience, the kind of turbulence and the impacts of gusts aloft is just over the top.  

"Yea but who cares what it looks like from the outside, it's what it looks and "feels" like from the inside that should matter more"

Unfortunately such a wrong statement, all that outside aircraft movement should be translated inside the cockpit and it will be seen as changes in attitude, pitch roll, yaw, airspeed, vertical speed etc.

"but at least there's movement now"

Yes, there is way too much unrealistic constant movement right now.

"Let them relax for awhile on the scenery stuff since it already looks much better than anything we've ever had before it."

Let's not deviate from the subject please, we are not talking about scenery.

.."now let them work on the infrastructure and basics of flight modeling for a couple years"

Flight modeling was expected to be better than FSX or FS9 after so many years, not worse, and absolutely no need to wait for a couple of years to get it right. This is as they call it "flight simulator" not "scenery simulator".

Regarding the YouTube video, it is very difficult to make any determination when we actually don't know the real wx conditions.

As a guideline and how we report turbulence in real life, we have guidelines recognized by FAA ICAO or other authorities as follows.

The velocity and direction of the wind change/shift determines the degree of turbulence.

Light
Turbulence that momentarily causes slight erratic changes in altitude and/or attitude (pitch, roll, or yaw). Report as “light turbulence.”

or

Turbulence that causes slight rapid and somewhat rhythmic bumpiness without appreciable changes in altitude or attitude. Report as “light chop.”

Moderate

Turbulence that is similar to light turbulence, but of greater intensity.
Changes in altitude and/or attitude occur, but the aircraft remains in positive control at all times. It usually causes variations in indicated airspeed. Report as “Moderate turbulence.”

or

Turbulence that is similar to light chop, but of great intensity. It causes rapid bumps or jolts without appreciable change in altitude or attitude. Report as “moderate chop.”

Severe

Turbulence that causes large abrupt changes in altitude and/or attitude. It usually causes large variations in indicated airspeed. Aircraft may be momentarily out of control. Report as
“severe turbulence.”

Extreme

Turbulence in which the aircraft is violently tossed about and is practically impossible to control. It may cause structural damage. Report as “extreme turbulence.” 

REPORTING TERM DEFINITION

Occasional

• Less than 1/3 of the time.

Intermittent:

• 1/3 to 2/3 of the time.

Continuous:

• More than 2/3 of the time.

The bottom line here is that they are far off the reality and their models need to be adjusted and a better selection regarding the beta team and their credentials.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

1 hour ago, cianpars said:

As a RW pilot who has flown gliders, microlights, 152s, etc. I find the bumps and weather a pretty good representation of the RW.  Maybe they could be dialled down a fraction, but I would prefer ASOBO to leave them as they are for fear of going to far the other way.

Yes, if the bumps bother you in MSFS, maybe flying in real life is something you should avoid. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

1 hour ago, RandallR said:

The closest I came to puking was after an hour soloing as a student practicing power-on climbing stalls.  After an hour of wing-overs and short drops my stomach began to complain as I was on final.  I landed with one hand on the yoke and the other holding a bag over my mouth as I experienced dry heaves...

Try upset recovery 😉

André

1 minute ago, awf said:

Try upset recovery 😉

Spins in a Pitts Special will usually get to anyone. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

10 hours ago, TrafficPilot said:

I was flying with "clear weather" and no wind yesterday but the sim still "bumped" my aircraft as I crossed the cliffs from sea to mainland.

That's not unrealistic. Well, the *degree* is sometimes unrealistic, but that it's there isn't. Terrain-generated turbulence can happen even in clear, calm weather conditions. 

Growing up in the mountains it was amazing how often hang gliders would go out, see that the weather was absolutely perfect, maybe a very gentle breeze, then launch off the peak and before long, slam into the mountain because they didn't account for the turbulence that happens around steep elevation changes. For awhile there we had a few people getting killed by that every year.

• Like 1