Sign in to follow this  
knuckles

Microphone dropping off

here's a new one for me, after about 45 minutes into an IFR flight, no microphone

PTT button lights up

the mic is operational

and no text shows up. in the "sat it" window

center is still trying to get me to contact them

any ideas ??????

Denis

Dave:  I wish it was that simple !!  here's some details

1. this has happened a few times the past 6 months

2. happened the last 2 flights about 45 minutes into the flight

3. PPT shows green when I push the button ( so that's working

4. no text shows up in the bottom right wind, where before the mic dropping off what I said would be written on that screen

5. I have verified the mic works in windows control panel

6. I have to about the flight and start over, after shutting everything down and re- starting the mic again works

I can try another flight today. and post if it continues, ( "there's an answer for everything computer often it just takes time")

Denis

The text will show up if the program both hears and recognizes what you say.  

The best way to diagnose this sort of problem is to use Grammar Helper.  

After pressing the Practice button, an info box will pop up showing details of the Grammar and Speech settings.

After checking those details, Use the large PTT button on the screen to say some phrases.  After each phrase, you can press the Replay button to hear exactly what the program hears.  This should be loud and clear.  If not, something is wrong with the mic, mic positioning, or mic settings.

In your case, if the mic seems to fail in flight, I would pause the SIM and then try using Grammar Helper as described above to see if the mic is being heard.  If it's loud and clear, but the program is not showing what you're saying, then there may be something else going on.

If you have not done the P2A language training for all the controllers, you should do that.  Some users have reported a vast improvement in recognition after doing this.

Dave

OK Dave more of the Saga of the "Dropping off the Mic,

and certainly appreciate your help on this !!!!!

7 minutes into a flight KABQ to KDEN mic droops off

in "Grammar practice " the mic works just fine just not in the regular program

I am attempting to insert photos but unable to make that work ??

should I possibly delete Pilot2ATC then re install ????

Edited by knuckles
Adding text

Then it's probably not a mic issue.  Usually when it works in Grammar Helper and not with the main program it is one of the following issue:

Bad PTT: The PTT button or HotKey setting could be bad.  Try using the Onscreen PTT to see if it works with that.

Power Indicator Red: When radios are able to work, the Power indicator must be GREEN.  Check battery and Avionics switches.

Valid Call Sign: An invalid call sign will prevent ATC from responding.  Use the default call sign by clearing the information in the Call Sign text boxes in Config or recheck the docs for correct call sign rules.

Freq Setting: Needs to be on a controller that can respond to the phrase being said.

Invalid Phrase: needs to be a phrase that the tuned controller is able to respond to.

Not Fully Connected to SIM: When you connect there should be 3 blue lines that show up in the speech text window, the last one being "Grammars Loaded" .  If the Grammars don't load, then it won't understand you.

Dave

Dave:  Have back off the sim for a couple weeks

tried again and right after "Departure" handed me off to center first call was fine , was handed off to the next center, and mic was gone (which means there is no text showing in the bottom right box.!!!   Now to answer some questions you had

1. PTT bad. , the green button lights up : and remember. the mic works in " Grammar help"

2. power indicator is Green not Red

3. Freq setting is not the issue as no text is showing in the bottom right box

4. is sim fully connected= Yes I still show flight tracking

QUESTION !!!!:::: I attempted to delete the entire program, but when I downloaded it again it still had all my old settings which indicates I am not deleting everything

what are other folders I should be deleting ??

Denis

more info::

same flight as before KABG to KDEN using a different headset (just to verify its not the mic)  the mic drooped of (stoped showing on the bottom right window ) at exactly the same place as yesterdays flight, which was being handed off to the 2nd center.

now I can exit Pilot2ATC turn it back on, re connect, re file the flight plan,   and NOW the mic is showing bottom right window and center will give me a new squawk  and  get acknowledged.

I flew for another 20 minutes and the mic stayed on HOWEVER now the sequence is messed up as I never get handed off, get descent instructions. ect.  So that's not gonna be a fix.

????????

again delete the program and re install. ?????

Denis

similar to my issue where after any random time, the program no longer detects my microphone, although it is working as tested in external app.

Never resolved it I'm afraid; when it happens (and it'll be every flight)  I just flip to co-pilot doing the responses.

Sometimes I shut down P2A and restart it; it then picks up the mike again until it stops later on in the flight.

There have been some program errors that have caused ATC to stop responding.  Those get fixed in each update, so be sure you are running the latest version of P2A to reduce the chance of this occurring.

Dave

• Like 1

I too have had flights where ATC stop responding to me (last night in fact).  I managed to resolve mine last night by using the SayIt function to contact the Center controller for me.  Once I did that suddenly all my previous attempts at contact rattled down the text box and my audio comms was restored.

Go figure?? 😏

Ken