Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

Nose wheel steering, elevator trim and the auto-pilot help

I'm not using pedals, and it's hard to control the plane while taking off from the runaway. Is there a way to lock the nosewheel and keep the plane straight? If not, can someone recommend control settings for the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro?

What is the elevator trim setting for take-off?  At the default value of '0' the plane complains about the trim after take-off.

Where can I get a guide or a user manual for the auto-pilot. It doesn't have to be the official user manual. A tutorial or walkthrough would be nice. I googled and a bit surprised to find out that they are selling what appears to be the official manual for the unit. 

Edited by oneleg
Added details

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

9 hours ago, oneleg said:

What is the elevator trim setting for take-off?

Just set it in the green segment of the gauge.

But she climbing like a rocket. Be prepared to trim back  rapidly. 🙂

Gérard

15 hours ago, oneleg said:

I'm not using pedals, and it's hard to control the plane while taking off from the runaway. Is there a way to lock the nosewheel and keep the plane straight? If not, can someone recommend control settings for the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro?

What is the elevator trim setting for take-off?  At the default value of '0' the plane complains about the trim after take-off.

Where can I get a guide or a user manual for the auto-pilot. It doesn't have to be the official user manual. A tutorial or walkthrough would be nice. I googled and a bit surprised to find out that they are selling what appears to be the official manual for the unit. 

I'm not aware of any way to lock the nosewheel. You should be able to steer the plane on the ground with the Z (twist) axis of the Logitech Pro.

What do you mean the plane complains about trim after takeoff?

In addition to the Flysimware Falcon50 manual, there is information here:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/557396-falcon-50-reference-information/

Al

17 hours ago, oneleg said:

At the default value of '0' the plane complains about the trim after take-off.

A7YyVSM.jpg

Gérard

@ark Thanks for confirming that. I guess I'll just have to continue using the z axis of the Logitech Pro.

When the elevator trim is at zero (which is where it is at after the 'Ready to Start' mode is selected from the Shift-1 dialog box) the plane has an annunciator announcement complaining about the trim. I thought it would be possible to take-off without any trim adjustments at the 'Ready to Start' mode, but I guess I'd have to adjust and set the elevator trim to the 'green' segment or arrow before take-off.

I've scanned through most of the references in the link above before posting and I was additionally hoping to find a nice tutorial type guide or supplement to the Flysimware manual. The information available now is all over the place with lots of duplication, but I suppose it's better than fewer sources of information and will just have to do.

• Upvote 1

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

24 minutes ago, gaab said:

A7YyVSM.jpg

Gérard

Very nice. Thank you. 

To quickly checkout performance and features I usually select 'Ready to Start' which has the trim as shown (almost at zero) and flaps 'clean', and I almost always forget to adjust both to the settings in your picture above.

Btw, I just watched a YouTube video last night (it's morning where I'm at). Just before take-off the pilot places the engines into 'Air Start' and then takes them out of the setting after he has taken off. Would you know why that's done (starting @26.30 mark)?

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

28 minutes ago, oneleg said:

annunciator announcement complaining about the trim

11 minutes ago, oneleg said:

Btw, I just watched a YouTube video last night (it's morning where I'm at). Just before take-off the pilot places the engines into 'Air Start' and then takes them out of the setting after he has taken off. Would you know why that's done

My guess would be to help prevent losing an engine shortly after takeoff, and if an engine does quit right after takeoff the switches are set up for a quick restart.

Al

Edited by ark

Sounds like a good guess. I wonder if that's done in real life.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

48 minutes ago, oneleg said:

Sounds like a good guess. I wonder if that's done in real life.

Yes it is, viewed a few cockpit videos where you see them do it. Same on Lear as well...

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

1 hour ago, oneleg said:

Btw, I just watched a YouTube video last night (it's morning where I'm at). Just before take-off the pilot places the engines into 'Air Start' and then takes them out of the setting after he has taken off. Would you know why that's done (starting @26.30 mark)?

I think you should (first) spend some time reading the checklist 🙂 where these actions are listed !

Gérard

3 hours ago, gaab said:

I think you should (first) spend some time reading the checklist 🙂 where these actions are listed !

Gérard

Good advise. I'm basically still in exploratory mode and trying to identify which checklist to use. There's quite a few floating around.

Also, being a newbie to the plane I find the checklist, being checklists, lacking in details. For instance with regards to 'AIR START', there's no explanation anywhere why that's done at the line-up except that the check list says 'AIR START' at that point in time, and again before landing. But in the YouTube video I saw (above), AIR START is turned off about 5 minutes after take-off.

Another example is when the checklist just says 'AS REQUIRED'. Well what are the requirements? Required based on what? It's probably obvious to experienced real pilots but may not be to others.

Thanks.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

5 minutes ago, oneleg said:

checklist just says 'AS REQUIRED'. Well what are the requirements?

I know the feeling 🙂 Like you,  I am not a pilot 😔
and not even a native English speaking guy.

Gérard

1 minute ago, gaab said:

I know the feeling 🙂 Like you,  I am not a pilot 😔
and not even a native English speaking guy.

Gérard

About those checklists....  reminds me of standards in computers (I worked IT in a past life) one wit said: he loves standards. He loves them because there's so many of them. Lol (like for example those electrical outlets. Europe and the US have different standards). Being a French plane.... well you know.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

10 hours ago, oneleg said:

Also, being a newbie to the plane I find the checklist, being checklists, lacking in details. For instance with regards to 'AIR START', there's no explanation anywhere why that's done at the line-up except that the check list says 'AIR START' at that point in time, and again before landing. But in the YouTube video I saw (above), AIR START is turned off about 5 minutes after take-off.

Another example is when the checklist just says 'AS REQUIRED'. Well what are the requirements? Required based on what? It's probably obvious to experienced real pilots but may not be to others.

From what I understand (and have seen on YT) "Air Start" is often used for takeoff and landing (guessing to reduce chance of losing an engine - as Al said) would also be used in cloud/precipitation for same reason..

G

Edited by Gazzareth
  • Upvote 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

7 hours ago, Gazzareth said:

From what I understand (and have seen on YT) "Air Start" is often used for takeoff and landing (guessing to reduce chance of losing an engine - as Al said) would also be used in cloud/precipitation for same reason.

Thanks. The best thing to do... is to simulate a failed engine or go through precipation/cloud and see if AIR START helps. I'd try it, but I don't have the experience flying the F50 properly in P3D.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1