Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Need a house? Then print one?

1:27 "Dubai wants to print 1/4 of its new buildings by 2030".

If ifs and ands were pots and pans,

'twould cure the tinker's cares.

If ladies did not carry fans,

they'd give themselves no airs.

If down the starry skies should fall,

starlings would be cheap.

If belles talked reason at a ball,

the band might go to sleep.

New Monthly Magazine and Literary Journal, 1828

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

To be honest the sort of shapes you could do with 3D Printing you could be far more challenging then that house, you would want to push the limits with design opportunities that a 3D Printer could do. That house still looked to conventional 

Matthew Kane

The termites are not going to like this 😂😂

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

3 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

To be honest the sort of shapes you could do with 3D Printing you could be far more challenging then that house, you would want to push the limits with design opportunities that a 3D Printer could do. That house still looked to conventional 

I think this German firm were deliberately trying to build a house that was quite conventional, to promote them as a mainstream offering. But yes, you are right, you can build some very creative houses this way. 

7 of the Most Beautiful 3D Printed Houses and Cabins | IE

3D-printed house design looks like a gorgeous human-sized ant mound | 3d  printed house, House design, Eco house

• Like 1

Its going to be very exciting to see where this leads. We are currently using 3D printers to print aircraft engines now and all manner of things. And yes, 3D printing has been suggested as a way to quickly build structures for astronauts on Mars. 

Its like a primitive Star Trek replicator. Tell the computer what you want and it provides it. 👍

Mars base. 

3D-printed Mars base by Hassell & EOC | human Mars

Edited by martin-w

Interesting, but the texture does not excite me one bit.  Another thing, what if you want to make changes after construction?  Lots of home owners make significant changes to their houses, such as additions, moving interior walls, adding or eliminating doors and windows.  Not sure how easy doing such things would be with the 3D printed construction.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

21 minutes ago, stans said:

Interesting, but the texture does not excite me one bit.  Another thing, what if you want to make changes after construction?  Lots of home owners make significant changes to their houses, such as additions, moving interior walls, adding or eliminating doors and windows.  Not sure how easy doing such things would be with the 3D printed construction.

The texture isn't an issue. Like all houses it can be clad in another material, and indeed, rendered too. I mean it is just concrete. Wooden cladding or whatever you fancy. 

Changes after construction are no issue. Its a concrete house, no different to any one of the millions of concrete houses and brick houses that have been built in the world for hundreds of years.

Additions as in an extension are clearly no issue. Moving walls would require a lintel probably an RSJ like we use in the UK. Doors and windows the same. 

You are from the US. You guys are used to building in wood. Perhaps why you think concrete is an issue. Its not, the rest of the world has been using brick and concrete for a very long time. And I'm pretty sure some of the US houses are too.

The vast majority of UK homes are traditional brick construction, some with wooden suspended floors and some with concrete floors. Traditional cavity wall construction. Although houses built before 1920 are two layers of brick with no cavity. These days we fill the cavity with insulation.

You will notice that this 3D printed house is cavity wall construction too and filled with insulation. 

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Cavity_wall

Where I am now in Guernsey there is more of a variation. Many traditional Guernsey cottages made of thick granite blocks, just one leave. Plenty of more modern 1960's bungalows again with just a single layer of concrete blocks. Not that cold in Guernsey but many people apply Thermoboard to the outside to improve insulation and bring them up to modern standards. Cavity wall houses too. Very few of wooden construction although there are some over on the nearby island of Sark. 

In the UK there are a few more self build engineered timber houses now, with technology developed in Europe, not many though.

Gluelam is an interesting product from Europe that's gaining in popularity.

https://ownwoodenhouse.com/index.pl?act=PRODUCT&id=251

One or too wooden and steel Huf homes from Germany too.

https://www.huf-haus.com/en-uk/kit-homes-uk-prices/

For concrete homes ICF is a big deal these days. Basically insulation forms filled with concrete.

https://becowallform.co.uk/

https://www.nationalbimlibrary.com/en/beco-products-ltd/wallform-250-firewall-icf?utm_campaign=12102&utm_medium=syndication_3&utm_content=Wallform 250 Firewall ICF System&utm_source=https://becowallform.co.uk/icf-bim-objects/

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

Now for sale in US.

You get to see the finished product plus interior in this video. (And no, its not the "finished" interior - you can chose the finish you want, exterior or interior. ) 

Took TWO DAYS to print. Result: Solid concrete house. 

Half the price of other homes in the area. The builder is getting requests for entire 3D printed home communities all across US.

Edited by martin-w

9 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

Given the location and style of houses surrounding it, I would say it was a good decision. New developments is where the non conventional can shine.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, martin-w said:

And yes, 3D printing has been suggested as a way to quickly build structures for astronauts on Mars. 

Its like a primitive Star Trek replicator. Tell the computer what you want and it provides it. 👍

Where will they get the concrete mix and the water? 

I assume that they'd have to line the structure with a non-permeable product to provide an airtight seal, as well as some airlocks, eh?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

Where will they get the concrete mix and the water? 

I assume that they'd have to line the structure with a non-permeable product to provide an airtight seal, as well as some airlocks, eh?

On building sites the concrete is usually stored in a hopper and pumped where its needed, often to the top of very tall buildings.

I presume the same here, fill the hopper from a cement mixer vehicle and off you go.

Edit: See last video I posted. It's just basic cement mixers. 

Edited by martin-w

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

Now for sale in US.

I wonder what the cost is vs regular construction for identically built house? Since it’s in its infancy, I’d imagine it would probably be very expensive, although I haven’t researched or listened to the videos yet.

It is pretty cool to see and amazing how quick it is.

25 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I wonder what the cost is vs regular construction for identically built house? Since it’s in its infancy, I’d imagine it would probably be very expensive, although I haven’t researched or listened to the videos yet.

It is pretty cool to see and amazing how quick it is.

Seemed fairly cheap!  $299K for the whole shebang I guess lot and all? Did he say Ithaca, NY?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: