Sign in to follow this  
Airhead

Installing and setting up FSX Steam

Downloaded FSX Steam and not having much luck:

Failed to start process for Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Editiion:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the applicatin event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail." (0x36B1)

Another question. While I have downloaded it and my used disc space seems to indicate a significant increase in used space, I'm not seeing it in my File Explorer. Do I have to be on STEAM to run it? Can I not just run FSX Steam as a standalone without being connected?

1 hour ago, Airhead said:

Downloaded FSX Steam and not having much luck:

Another question. While I have downloaded it and my used disc space seems to indicate a significant increase in used space, I'm not seeing it in my File Explorer. Do I have to be on STEAM to run it? Can I not just run FSX Steam as a standalone without being connected?

I have mine installed on a secondary drive (not my system drive) but the installation treated it in regard to installation path as if it were on a system drive.  So my installed path looks like this.  And yes, it should install Steam as well and Steam needs to be running in the background.  Check the hidden icons in your Windows system tray.   ^  near the lower right corner of your screen.

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

FYI:

As stated many times in this Forum for several reasons, FSX and FSX-Steam should NOT be installed in the Program Files (x86) - but rather should be placed in a root directory of a disc...

22 minutes ago, overspeed3 said:

FYI:

As stated many times in this Forum for several reasons, FSX and FSX-Steam should NOT be installed in the Program Files (x86) - but rather should be placed in a root directory of a disc...

I understand that to be relevant for installations in Program Files and Program Files (x86) on a system drive to avoid issues with User Account Control (UAC).  The indication of such a path on a data or secondary drive in my understanding is not a system path per se, but instead a location established on a different drive with the same pathname.  Sort of a dummy path as there are no Windows system elements on that drive, much less in the folders.  The path has full granted access for all file operations.  

The WindowsApps and WpSystem folders on my D drive were placed there by the MSFS installation from the Microsoft Store.

image.png.020b50b91cf0db8595450629b4caf501.png

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Some of my questions are answered; thank you; I found FSX and I understand that STEAM must also be running. 

Which brings me to one more question on that issue: With FSX Steam, I can play offline; Correct?

In regards to the error message, am I receiving it because of where it is installed? Or is there a way I can address the UAC issue and run it from where it is?

Oh, and a rhetorical question not intended to be answered but more of a vent: Why would STEAM place it somewhere, where it causes problems!??

For what it is worth those side by side errors can also be caused by not having installed C+ runtimes. Just because you may have them on your machine does not mean you necessarily have the right ones as they are not always cumulative with later releases.