Sign in to follow this  
Th1racer

Suggestions on New PC for X-Plane

Hello Pilots, Am moving from FSX to X-Plane with a possible move to MSFS if they ever get that thing running like a Flight Sim. I enjoy the Pilot flight sim over pretty pictures ! Looking at spending around 1,000 US. Prebuilt is preferred as I dont have a lot of time for a build but If I can get a lot better PC for the same price i would rather spend the extra time with building. My background is more building Automated machinery, robots etc than PC's but will take on the challenge.

Is there Pre Build and or Build sites that have X-Plane PC recommendations ? What Im doing now is I printed out X-Planes site PC recommendations and looking at both. Just thought I would ask the experts for site suggestions ! 

Thanks !!!!!

1 hour ago, Th1racer said:

Hello Pilots, Am moving from FSX to X-Plane with a possible move to MSFS if they ever get that thing running like a Flight Sim. I enjoy the Pilot flight sim over pretty pictures ! Looking at spending around 1,000 US. Prebuilt is preferred as I dont have a lot of time for a build but If I can get a lot better PC for the same price i would rather spend the extra time with building. My background is more building Automated machinery, robots etc than PC's but will take on the challenge.

Is there Pre Build and or Build sites that have X-Plane PC recommendations ? What Im doing now is I printed out X-Planes site PC recommendations and looking at both. Just thought I would ask the experts for site suggestions ! 

Thanks !!!!!

What are your current specs?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Im running a Lenovo Idea Pad 330. Intel I-5 8250U, 1.6 ghz CPU, 1800 mhz, 4 core, 8 logical, 8.0 gb Ram Memory 2 USb, 1 Hdmi. With Active sky she barely runs FSX with REX Weather add on. Tried the X-Plane demo on lowest settings and its nasty.

I have 1 usb for Keyboard, 1 usb for Saitek X 52 Control / Throttle. 1 HDMI for view monitor and 1 gauge monitor via Win 10 Connect. 

I am expanding with 2 Logitech Radio's, 1 Switch and 1 Multi  so thats 7, 2.0 usb's minimum needed.

Will be going from 1 monitor for view to 3 display for views and another for misc Gauges.

Thanks !

2 hours ago, Th1racer said:

Im running a Lenovo Idea Pad 330. Intel I-5 8250U, 1.6 ghz CPU, 1800 mhz, 4 core, 8 logical, 8.0 gb Ram Memory 2 USb, 1 Hdmi. With Active sky she barely runs FSX with REX Weather add on. Tried the X-Plane demo on lowest settings and its nasty.

I have 1 usb for Keyboard, 1 usb for Saitek X 52 Control / Throttle. 1 HDMI for view monitor and 1 gauge monitor via Win 10 Connect. 

I am expanding with 2 Logitech Radio's, 1 Switch and 1 Multi  so thats 7, 2.0 usb's minimum needed.

Will be going from 1 monitor for view to 3 display for views and another for misc Gauges.

Thanks !

For 1K maybe this will help:

https://www.pcgamer.com/pc-build-guide-budget-gaming-pc/

Edited by DJJose
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DJJose said:

Nice site. I also like https://pcpartpicker.com/ . I can and have built PC's. Got 1 tore apart in full cleaning mode right now. 

My Question is geared more towards what is working with X Plain11 today as alot has changed since the requirements came out ? There are so many combinations it gets muddy and that makes this a tuff question for sher ! Especially when your talking about walking the budget recommended/minimum requirements PC. I used The X-Plane11 and MSFS specs to look for Pre Built and found this from Best Buy. CyberPower Ryzon 5 3500- 16 GB memory AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT 

Any thoughts, Ideas or recently bought, built PC's that are working good with X Plane 11 would be appreciated.

Thanks Again

There are three things you need to keep in mind when aiming for good X-Plane 11 performance:

Single core processing power

Enough VRAM

Enough RAM

X-Plane needs 4, maybe 6 cores, everything in excess to that is just fluff.

Also X-Plane does not need more graphics card power than a 1060 or so - but it MUST NOT hit the VRAM limit when running, otherwise your framerate will tank. So if you plan on running a high resolution/multiple monitors or super-high-rez addons, better have plenty of VRAM.

If I was to buy a new machine it would be a 5800XT with 32GB of RAM and a Nvidia 3070.

A SSD is a boon, but not necessary, it won´t make X-Plane run faster, just makes it load faster.

Oh, and mSparks will be here soon and try to convince you that X-Plane runs at 500 frames per second on Linux...don´t listen 😉

Edited by Janov
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Th1racer said:

Nice site. I also like https://pcpartpicker.com/ . I can and have built PC's. Got 1 tore apart in full cleaning mode right now. 

My Question is geared more towards what is working with X Plain11 today as alot has changed since the requirements came out ? There are so many combinations it gets muddy and that makes this a tuff question for sher ! Especially when your talking about walking the budget recommended/minimum requirements PC. I used The X-Plane11 and MSFS specs to look for Pre Built and found this from Best Buy. CyberPower Ryzon 5 3500- 16 GB memory AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT 

Any thoughts, Ideas or recently bought, built PC's that are working good with X Plane 11 would be appreciated.

Thanks Again

You are operating within a budget. That said, any 8 core CPU OC to @5gz, 32gigs of system RAM above 3K, GTX 1070 with 8gigs of Vram, and SSDs will work well with both sims.

I would recommend more than 8gig of Vram, but you are on a budget. As an example, the dev recommends a 9700K. No HT required.

• Like 1

Good luck getting a good deal on any GPU these days. Prices are twice that of what used to be normal.

• Like 3

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

On 4/17/2021 at 8:55 AM, Bjoern said:

Good luck getting a good deal on any GPU these days. Prices are twice that of what used to be normal.

Ya I know ! Plus I am putting on an addition to the garage at very high lumber prices.... Grilled cheese sammy's for a while .lol. 

Have upped the budget to 2K hence not really a budget.lol

Im not the most savvy PC hardware guru out there. With that, lack of time and the current GPU shortage Im going Pre Built.

Looking at this one. What ya think ?

iBuyPower, Slate MR Gaming Desktop - Intel i7-11700F - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD

My plan is to get something like this one. Still build in a year or so when the GPU shortage is over. Will then use this one to run some side programs, Display etc.

Thanks !!!!!

This is obviously (still) a budget PC with mediocre hardware choices .You will be able to run X-Plane "just fine" - but don´t come back here complaining that you can´t pick some of the higher rendering settings and suffer from low framerate 😉

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Th1racer said:

Im not the most savvy PC hardware guru out there. With that, lack of time and the current GPU shortage Im going Pre Built.

Looking at this one. What ya think ?

iBuyPower, Slate MR Gaming Desktop - Intel i7-11700F - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD

My plan is to get something like this one. Still build in a year or so when the GPU shortage is over. Will then use this one to run some side programs, Display etc.

Thanks !!!!!

you would be better off with a 10700K much better chip probably cheaper, 11th gen are just a back fill from intel being desperate and a waste of money. Make good heaters though.

Edited by mjrhealth

You also want to get a graphics card that starts with "30" (i.e. 3070) and I would also strongly advocate 32GB of RAM.

47 minutes ago, Janov said:

You also want to get a graphics card that starts with "30" (i.e. 3070) and I would also strongly advocate 32GB of RAM.

Actually a 2070 or 2080 would do unless you want to sell a kidney