Sign in to follow this  
jellisampvo

GTN Error Causes CTD

I consistently get this error when attempting any flight lasting more that 30 minutes.  It happens all the time and at first I thought it was a GPU issue.  However, after a lot of searching and testing, I have come to the conclusion that there is some sort of coding error in the RXP GTN simulator as it relates to FS9 and Windows 10.  My system build is as follows:

CPU: AMD 3960X 24 core processor  GPU: AMD Radeon VII  RAM: 128GB HD: Samsung 1tb NVMI PRO drive  Audio: Creative Labs AE-9 Sound Card

Here is the Error:  

Faulting application name: GTN Simulator.exe, version: 6.62.4.0, time stamp: 0x5ecfde0d
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.844, time stamp: 0xa9ac4e88
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000e6a73
Faulting process id: 0x17a0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d73233f8e627df
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Trainers\Packages\GTN\Bin\GTN Simulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: e9b4be8a-e1bd-4b1f-97fe-cf47a24de9c7
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I want to restate that I have already tried everything mentioned in this forum and everywhere else on the web.

Please let me know what else I might try.

Thanks in advance for all the help

Just as a further follow-up.  

This problem has existed even after several fresh installs of Windows 10 Pro, 4 GPU replacements, and 3 HD replacements in an effort to fix this issue.  

Also, I have tried running the GTN as both part of the aircraft panel and as a pop-up and this has no effect on the issue.

In addition, once this error happens,  FS9 freezes completely as does the computer, and the only way to get out of FS9 is to bring up the task manager and shut down the computer.  It will not even let me just close FS9.

Finally, If I remove the RXP GTN from the equation, then everything runs perfectly.  I have all of the old RXP products, and they all still work with my system, as does the updated GNS 530W.  

But I purchased the GTN simulation because I use it the real aircraft that I fly and like the integration when it works.

Thanks again,

Jeff 

Why not install FSX-SE?  That is a stable, supported platform.

Bert

Well Bert, the short answer is that I have about 200 airports that I personally have fixed or added to FS9 along with a ton of  addons.

However, before I purchased the RXP GTN, I made sure it was compatible with FS9 SP1.  Further, FS9 is a very stable platform and has been for years.  I realize the graphics aren't great, but since I only use this for actual flight training, and not as a game, the graphics are not that important.  Also, even though RXP  claimed that certain features would work in the GTN and they do not in FS9 I am not addressing that issue.  My only concern is that the GTN causes crashes, which it should not.

I have spoken directly with Garmin about the issue, and since their simulation product works fine on my system (See above) and with the Windows 10 Pro (Version 20H2) installed, they are quite certain that it has to be a programming issue.  As I said in my first post.....I have all the other RXP addons for FS9 and they work just fine. 

Thanks again for everyone's input.  I hope a resolution can be found for this just like the issue of the Visual Slope not working correctly in FS9 was fixed.

Jeff   

Edited by jellisampvo
spelling error

On 4/15/2021 at 5:57 PM, jellisampvo said:

Faulting application name: GTN Simulator.exe, version: 6.62.4.0, time stamp: 0x5ecfde0d
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.844, time stamp: 0xa9ac4e88
Faulting process id: 0x17a0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d73233f8e627df
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Trainers\Packages\GTN\Bin\GTN Simulator.exe

Hi,

This indicates the Trainer has crashed on your system. When this is happening, it shouldn't freeze FS9 at all because those are two unrelated and separate processes. I suspect there is something else going on here.

Do you happen to run any sort of "debugger"?

PS: The GTN and the GNS are developed on FS9 and XP9, these simulators are loading in about 15sec and this saves time when I need to fire them up for testing code changes 😉

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Hi Jean-Luc,

Thanks for the information and sorry for the delayed response.  I have been out of town on business.

To answer your question about a debugger, I do not normally.  Do you have any suggestions on a specific debugger to use or something you would like me to run in the background while conducting a flight?

Please let me know what the next steps I should take are.

Thanks again for all you efforts.  

Jeff

Actually I was asking for the reverse: if you do run any kind of debugger, then don't. It doesn't need to be a specific debugger either. It could be a "launcher" you're using to start FS9 for example, or even the nocd version you're using which must be a version 9.1 of course.

Having said this, the crash report is telling the faulting module is ntdll (a main system component). The fault itself is a "HEAP CORRUPTION" which means the process has first corrupted the heap, then some function is calling a heap function implemented in ntdll.dll and that function detects the corruption and raises the exception.

There could be multiple causes to this type of error and this is so low level it makes it harder to trace specifically if not on your system. Some of the possible reasons:

- GTN Trainer has a coding bug of some sort causing this, but I believe it this would be the case there would be more crash reports on this forum.

- AMD Driver is causing this, and I believe it is most likely for the following reason: if the GTN Trainer process crashes, it shouldn't affect FS9 at all because it is a separate process and we've implemented the "link" between the gauge and the trainer in a way which can't one if the other CTD. Because both are freezing I suspect something at the graphics driver level instead, causing the GTN Trainer process to CTD and FS9 to freeze at the same time.

You might want to review the "Debug Settings" in the RXP GTN User's Manual p26, and add the following manually in your RealityXP.GTN.ini file in the folder of the aircraft you're flying*:

[GTN_750_1]
LogTrainer = 7
DebugValue = 1

Once done, the next time you'll fly and there is a CTD, the rxpGtnSim.dll.log file might have additional debugging information I'd like you to post in this discussion for analysis.

---

*NB: if you're using the GTN 650 or the GTN 750 Unit #2, put these under the appropriate section (for example [GTN_650_1] or [GTN_750_2]

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Hi Jean-Luc,

Thanks for all the info.  I appreciate you taking the time to look into this.  I do not run any type of debugger or logger in the background.  Never really wanted to bother with that.

As to adding the debug settings, I will do that and then try a flight longer than 30 minutes and see what happens.  When I get a CTD, I will post the log file as requested.

Finally, I only run the GTN 750, and only as GTN_750_1.  I currently have if built into the panel instead of using it as a pop-up.

Again, Thanks for all your efforts.

Jeff

Hi Jean-Luc,

So I tried running a flight that lasts about 1 hour from TFFM (Marie Galante in Guadeloupe) to TUPW (Virgin Gorda in British Virgin Is.).  Just as happens every time, the Sim crashed about 20 miles out during the descent to the airport.  I have screen shots I would love to attach but I am not sure how to do that.  I am including the rxpGtnSim.dll.log file for you to look at.

I have the sim configured as GTN_750_1.

21/04/25 19:12:08.002 03008 -    ] # rxpGtnSim32.dll version 2.5.28.0
21/04/25 19:12:08.001 03008 INFO ] 
21/04/25 19:12:09.698 11952 INFO ] GTN 750.1 - TRAINER 6624
21/04/25 19:12:09.698 11952 INFO ] C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Trainers\Packages\GTN\Bin
21/04/25 19:12:09.699 11952 INFO ] C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Trainers\Packages\GTN\data
21/04/25 19:12:09.699 11952 INFO ] C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases
21/04/25 19:12:09.700 11952 INFO ] C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\nonvol
21/04/25 19:12:09.706 11952 WARN ] GTN 750.1 process is running as-admin
21/04/25 19:12:09.990 11952 INFO ] using: %LOCAL_APPDATA%\CrashRpt\UnsentCrashReports\GTN Trainer_6.62.4.0RXP
21/04/25 19:12:13.472 11952 INFO ] GFX Debug: enabled.

I received the same error as before:

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.928, time stamp: 0xa0caab76
Faulting process id: 0xe94
Faulting application start time: 0x01d73a06e3d07902
Report Id: 8487fb31-dd77-4930-a4ca-e795341fa4e9

Thanks again for all your help.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Unfortunately there isn't much information.

First, I've been looking exactly what is the code running at this offset in NTDLL and this not even at an instruction boundary but right in the middle. This is peculiar and I'm wondering whether this system file in particular is not corrupted.

In effect, doing an online search I've found very few references to the same fault offset and all are pointing to corrupted files of some sort, but with the previous NTDLL version number (10.0.19041.844, yours is x.x.x.928 )

https://www.qwant.com/?q=Fault+offset%3A+0x000e6a73

You might want to consider your options but one is having the same issue when running a program called "JamKazam":

The only thing that worked was to get a fresh copy of windows 10. By clicking on Settings, Update & Security, Recovery, Reset This PC, Keep My Files, Cloud Download.  It took sometime but not as long as looking through these threads and trying everything else.  It worked great as soon as reinstalled JamKazam.

Faulting application name: JamKazam.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6020dacb
Faulting process id: 0x191c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d70e5cc91788c5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\JamKazam\JamKazam.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 0a03e801-4cd5-4f24-bc57-5f97f5d05670

The other is having this issue with CheatEngine:

Error: (03/25/2021 01:42:17 AM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: CheatEngine72.tmp, version: 51.1052.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fb0f970
Faulting process id: 0x2808
Faulting application start time: 0x01d720d5049443eb
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Local\Temp\is-CFT50.tmp\CheatEngine72.tmp
Report Id: bd071cff-e9c3-475d-95cc-fc28b5223a14

Error: (03/25/2021 01:16:19 AM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: CheatEngine72.tmp, version: 51.1052.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fb0f970
Faulting process id: 0x2e60
Faulting application start time: 0x01d720d1654a55f6
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Local\Temp\is-ESI39.tmp\CheatEngine72.tmp
Report Id: 2d8f25ba-83a6-4223-9eaf-c1fab7917560

I believe there is something wrong with this file, or with an application running on your system and interfering with this file. It could be a File Explorer extension (something you display in the popup menu when right clicking a folder or file), a background service, an anti-cheat app, a virus. Whatever it is, there is a high probability it is at the system level.

Please note the log file is also indicating you're running FS9 as-admin. When doing this, you're opening up access to your system from add-ons, but also to the FS9 nocd version.

Edited by RXP