Sign in to follow this  
pkofman

Doubled frame rates?????

Hi All,Messing about on a long flight today, as you do, right clicked in 'spot view', then clicked the 'undock window' option. Imediately my frame rate doubled, tried it in VC with the same result. I may be suffering from mental delusion or something more serious! Can others just give this a try and see what gives please? My system is below.BTW it works in FS9 as well!Edit.... Sorry, I always fly in windowed mode and the above results were in that mode, not tried it full screen.Thanks in advance,CheersSid. OS Name Microsoft Windows XP ProfessionalVersion 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600System Manufacturer ASUSTEK COMPUTER INCSystem Model P5W DH DeluxeSystem Type X86-based PCProcessor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2404 MhzProcessor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2404 MhzBIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1305, 28/08/2006SMBIOS Version 2.3Total Physical Memory 3,072.00 MBAvailable Physical Memory 1.51 GBTotal Virtual Memory 2.00 GBAvailable Virtual Memory 1.96 GBPage File Space 4.85 GBNVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 (just the one)Drive Maxtor 160MB (nothing special, just standard)

Guest PPSFA

Can't tell, when I tried it, I lose the FPS info in undocked mode

Guest PPSFA

Duh ! Now why didnt I think of that! :-)

Guest flyinfriend

Hi,I experienced the same thing using ATI tray tools and turning on the frame counter. However when it read as 30 the sim seemed to be doing only half that. In other words I don't think it is a doubling of actual framerates because at 30 it looked like my regular 15 and when it read 40 it looked like my regular 20. I can easily tell the difference between 15 and 20 fps. Anything below 20 or 21 and I can see that it does not appear as smooth animation.I wished the doubling of fps were true, but I believe it is some issue with the way frames are being calc'd in this windowed undocked mode.Thanks,Tom

Guest PPSFA

I tried this a couple of different ways and it seems to help. I sat on a runway with AI traffic turned up. My FPS went from around 11-15 to 25-30 and the vechicles went from jumpy to smooth for me.

Guest sunstriker

HiIncredible it works - I was getting 20 fps with VFR Horizon now have seen 100!!!!!! fps ##### (excuse me)techies if you can sus why this is FSX will live lolsir you are a lucky genius!btw I think it is double the frame counter I use is Ttools but apart from that its smooth and heli rotors look way differentI can fly over heathrow 100% AI if I lock again its a slide showRich

Congratulations! You just found the ultimate performance "holy grail" for both versions of FS, but as the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished! :) It seems if you undock the window then you can no longer see the ATC window, (Or any other!) and it only works in window mode. If MS/Aces can figure out how to keep the windows (ATC etc...) this could definitely be the magic bullet we're all hoping for!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest PPSFA

I am at FL240 enroute from PBI to MCO for a short flight in the default 737, with real time weather...all is smooth. I use 2 monitors and cam move all sub-panels to it so I see them all...SWEET!

Guest odog

>Hi,>>I experienced the same thing using ATI tray tools and turning>on the frame counter. However when it read as 30 the sim>seemed to be doing only half that. In other words I don't>think it is a doubling of actual framerates because at 30 it>looked like my regular 15 and when it read 40 it looked like>my regular 20. I can easily tell the difference between 15>and 20 fps. Anything below 20 or 21 and I can see that it>does not appear as smooth animation.>>I wished the doubling of fps were true, but I believe it is>some issue with the way frames are being calc'd in this>windowed undocked mode.>>Thanks,>>TomYeah, I wouldn't start filling the holy grail with scotch just yet. I'm getting 2 windows, one is my normal FS window w/ the FR counter still says 30 after undocking, but the picture is all black, the undocked window loses the counter but retains the picture but still feels the same.i dont have any external FR counter, but i suspect it's reading FR's from both windows.I'm not seeing, or should i say, FEELING a doubling of framerates.but they's all different aint they...

Guest fatboysim

I only have fs9 working. Flying out of JFK I normally get 13fps. After undocking FRAPS said 26. However I could see no difference between the "stuttering" due to the low frame rate in either case. I expected it to become smoother at 26 but could not see it. The FSX frame rate counter remains at 13, even after undocking. I'll try on fsx next time I have it working.

Guest flyinfriend

Hi All,I tried this again and as I mentioned in my previous post in this thread I think it has to do with how the FPS counters FRAPS ot ATI tray tools reads the FPS in this undocked windowed mode. If you drag the top FSX window down slightly in the undocked mode you will see the FSX parent window behind it and you can now see/display the FSX FPS. As I thought it shows exactly half of what the FRAPS or ATI Tray Tool displays at the same time. There is no acutal frame rate gain here.I wish this were the cure just like everyone else but I don't think it makes any difference.Thanks,Tom

Didn't do a thing for me, glad people are trying to help though.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD