Sign in to follow this  
pkofman

Doubled frame rates?????

This seemed to work for me in windowed mode. Yes...I lost Shift+z FPS info, and sometimes I was able to get it into Full screen mode and make it work. It was intermittent though, and I couldn't always make it work. But when it did work....Oh yes...It WORKED. In KSEA with my Marchetti 260, I was able to shift to full screen, and couldn't bring up the FPS counter (which means it worked) and I flew around the city and whereabouts with ZERO slowdown, and I was sure that my FPS were up tremendously. However, I couldn't check it. Other times, I couldn't get it to transfer to full screen.You've hit upon something here, I'm sure, but how can we get it to work continuously?I'm pretty impressed...but I'm at a loss as to how to make this function on an ongoing basis. GREAT FIND.

No snake oil for me - this one really worked, and nothing else I've tried really has. So far I've enjoyed FSX with 60% Ultimate Traffic AI and sparce autogen in Alaska and Canada with FR between 15-35. I used the frame rate counter on ATI tray tools. Ran it normal mode to make sure the rates were the same showing at the shift z rates. Then undocked. Frame rates doubled over PANC from 16 to 32. I put ai full with Ultimate Traffic and frame rates went from 9-11 to 24-26 and the plane flew very smoothly. Just for grins, I put traffic full and autogen full! Frames were still 20 over downtown Anchorage 6-10 in windowed mode.I'm a skeptical soul and I'm delighted with this find. Your results may vary, but I'm loving it.P4/3.2gHz 2 gig RAM ATI X850XT PE

Guest flyinfriend

Hi,Please try this by dragging the undocked window down. you will then see the parent FSX window and you can bring up the FSX fps. you will see there is no difference. ATI Tray Tools and Fraps are doing some kind of double counting in this mode, possibly because there are two FSX windows open the parent (black) and the actaul view window. there is no doubling of actual frame rates. From my previous post in this thread:If you drag the top FSX window down slightly in the undocked mode you will see the FSX parent window behind it and you can now see/display the FSX FPS. As I thought it shows exactly half of what the FRAPS or ATI Tray Tool displays at the same time. There is no acutal frame rate gain here.Tom

After further testing, I agree with you Tom, this is nothing but a false reading from the FPS counters. I setup a condition (At JFK) where I was only getting 12-14FPS, so I could visually see the difference if it actually did improve performance. Then I undocked the window, my frame rate counter (ATI Tray Tools) shot up to 33-36, but visually nothing changed, it wasn't smooth like an actual 30+ frame session would be. It was a good find, but unfortunately it was just a mirage! I guess we'll just have to keep searching for that elusive magic bullet!! I'm happy mostly with the performance I'm getting now in most situations, I just could use a little more in dense city areas in dense weather conditions, and it would be perfect! (Performance wise!)

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest brillo

I also have to agree that this ~doubling of the FPS measurement (by FRAPS) after undocking the view is an artifact. But maybe not entirely... Some months ago in FS9 cockpit view, I observed a doubling of the FPS (with FRAPS) after undocking "cockpit view 00". That's the one you get when you right-click on the scenery out in front of the plane and undock it. I moved that window to the 2nd monitor. With this configuration, you can read both the in-game FPS and FRAPS. The in-game was ~30 (unlocked); FRAPS was 60+. I don't think I had ever seen 60 FPS with either counter before that. I didn't know what 60 FPS "felt" like, but performance didn't seem different. So I thought I'd load up the B-25J from MAAM (my biggest FR sucker), went to SeaTac, maxed everything in the game and on the plane. Opened up all the windows, kneeboard with FSMMM, radios, ATC, spotter view inset, every window I could, as I recall. TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21. Results: In cockpit view, ~9-10 FPS on both the in-game FPS counter and FRAPS. With undocked "cockpit view 00" moved to 2nd monitor and expanded to full screen, undocked spotter view inset window moved to 2nd monitor, guages and other windows still on 1st monitor. Results: The in-game FPS counter remained at 9-10 FPS. FRAPS was ~20-24 FPS. Now, I did know the difference between 10 FPS and 20 FPS and the more accurate measurement was 10. However, I did notice that when I moved "cockpit view 00" back and forth between 1st and 2nd monitor, The in-game FPS measurement often, but not always, INCREASED 3-5 FPS with "cockpit view 00" ON 2nd MONITOR FULL SCREEN. That didn't seem intuitive to me, pushing more hardware and all. I posted in AV Sim FS9 forum asking about this observation and hoping I could get some advice on how to reliably get this FR increase, but no one had a clear answer as I recall. After reading this thread earlier today, I tried the undocking exercise in FSX and saw the ~doubling of FR with FRAPS, 6 to 12 at PDX (everything maxed out), but actual performance didn't reflect that increase, or any apparent qualitative improvement.I'm obviously no techy or FS guru, but my experience does not suggest that undocking view(s) doubles FPS. The FRAPS measurements when running FSX/FS9 with undocked views vs docked views is always approximately a 2 to 1 ratio. This strongly suggests that FRAPS is double counting the undocked views. There may be something to undocking views, a few FPS maybe. I almost always fly now with undocked view configurations in both FS9 and FSX. BTW, when I do see increased FR with undocked views, it works both ways. If I move the guages, other window views, etc., to the second monitor and leave the outside scenery expanded to full-screen on the 1st monitor, the FR increase still occurs. Guess that makes sense. Now, if someone can explain how to get this result consistently...Rob

You'e right Tom. It's a glitch in the way the FPS counters are working. This subject had been around for a couple of months now and no one has been able to show an actual FPS increase.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

If anyone runs a dual monitor setup, you'll see that FRAPS will also double it's FPS display if you are running both monitors. I assume the Parent/Child window situation works the same way.

This is all really interesting and glad to see that everyone is trying to work out a fix for fsx fps. But one thing that is really basic and I may have missed it is , where did you all get the external fps counter. I tried the above fix and in undocked mode I lost the fps counter.Thanks in advance... PeterPeter KCF-MMZToronto Ontario CanadaPMDG 747,737and 747F

Ok - no further argument from me. I will continue to enjoy flying my plane with sliders full right while you all hash this out!Cheers

>>This is all really interesting and glad to see that everyone>is trying to work out a fix for fsx fps. But one thing that>is really basic and I may have missed it is , where did you>all get the external fps counter. I tried the above fix and>in undocked mode I lost the fps counter.>>>Thanks in advance... Peter>>>>Peter K>CF-MMZ>Toronto Ontario Canada>PMDG 747,737and 747FThe most common way is by using a program called FPAPS, this will display the framerate in the corner of your screen, (As well making in game videos and screenshots). Google "fraps" to find it There is a free version and a pay one. The free one limits you to make videos in half screen mode and is limits to 30 seconds. The pay version removes this limitation. Another way for those with ATI cards is a utility called ATI Tray tools it takes the place and is less resource hungry then ATI's Catalyst Control Center. It doesn't work though with Nvidia graphic cards, just ATI.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

>Thanks for the prompt reply,, I am using two sli ATI cards ( not in xfire mode) because you cannot use more than one monitor and I still only get 10 fps at say,( fsx) KJFK with the sliders at 30-50% ( autogen off), so this will be interesting.. ( no addons)Frame rates in fs9.1 are awesome...Thxs>>>This is all really interesting and glad to see that everyone>>is trying to work out a fix for fsx fps. But one thing that>>is really basic and I may have missed it is , where did you>>all get the external fps counter. I tried the above fix >and>>in undocked mode I lost the fps counter.>>>>>>Thanks in advance... Peter>>>>>>>>Peter K>>CF-MMZ>>Toronto Ontario Canada>>PMDG 747,737and 747F>>The most common way is by using a program called FPAPS, this>will display the framerate in the corner of your screen, (As>well making in game videos and screenshots). Google "fraps" to>find it There is a free version and a pay one. The free one>limits you to make videos in half screen mode and is limits to>30 seconds. The pay version removes this limitation. Another>way for those with ATI cards is a utility called ATI Tray>tools it takes the place and is less resource hungry then>ATI's Catalyst Control Center. It doesn't work though with>Nvidia graphic cards, just ATI.>